• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unmodern
I think this is terrible advice. 1-2" of extra fabric around the chest is utterly unreasonable for a shirt, let alone outerwear. I would say 2.5" as an absolute minimum, if you're only wearing it over a jersey Tee; and up to 5" for layering. There's a reason coats and jackets are cut large in the chest. I know that a 36R duffle, for instance, will typically run to 42" in the chest.

Before you call my advice terrible and unreasonable, may I suggest you measure and wear a few hundred peacoats yourself. Then you may have a different perspective and will have a basis for forming and publishing your own opinions. But to respond to your post, I said nothing about there only being 1-2" of extra fabric around the chest. The method I gave will produce a good fit. A good fit means there is enough room in the chest to allow layering of a sweater under the peacoat. It also provides a fairly trim fit with no layering. This method allows plenty of room for layering. It is not tight and is not binding.

As an example, please see my post several pages back where I posted a photograph of me wearing a WWII peacoat that is a good fit. This particular peacoat measures 22 1/4" across the chest. My chest measurement is just shy of 42". This coat is a good fit, even with a sweater underneath. It isn't tight and it isn't binding; it fits the way a peacoat should fit.

HeavyDuty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EMY
38-39 chest, 32/33 sleeve, about 5'9"

Thank you.
I have the same chest size at about 5'11. Is it comfortable around your arms? Would you recommend choosing the coat in 36l for my length?

dunelly

Reaction score
Usually the largest part of your chest doesn't match up with the pits of the peacoat. The peacoat will have lower armholes so 2" is really 4". So you guys are both right. Peacoat, what u think of this one
432702536_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/8/5/0...32702597_o.jpg - tag tag is from 1945 but the coat doesn't look WWII.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Yes, the tag is definitely 1945 (you have a good eye for detail), and the coat is definitely post war. I would say it is one of the first peacoats manufactured using the modern style. The contractor probably had been making peacoats during the war, had a bunch of tags left over, and was allowed to finish his run of tags before changeover to the slightly different post war tag. Pictured below is a photo of a tag from 1947. I think this is the tag that was used from just after the war to about 1947. The differences between it and the WWII tag are subtle.

1947andbefore.jpg

bobcatmvp1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
Tried the Large Polo Academy peacoat at the outlet. It was on sale for 210. Apologies for poor lighting and graininess. In retrospect I should have held my arms differently, but it fit pretty well in the body.

img0004yi.jpg

As you can see, it is too short on me. I'm 6'3" and I should clearly get a Large Tall. Unfortunately, tall only seems available above retail price.

For anyone who has held or tried on the Polo Academy peacoat, how is the material? Say compared to a Jcrew, Sterlingwear, or Schott? I know Schott and Jcrew both have very thick material. I like the style of the Polo jacket the best, but I'm wondering how heavy or lightweight it might be.

Thanks,
Billy

Rankiz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobcatmvp1
For anyone who has held or tried on the Polo Academy peacoat, how is the material? Say compared to a Jcrew, Sterlingwear, or Schott? I know Schott and Jcrew both have very thick material. I like the style of the Polo jacket the best, but I'm wondering how heavy or lightweight it might be.

Thanks,
Billy

I'm also interested if someone could care to reply this.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sterling wear has 60 different size combos. plus 6 colors. all at reasonable prices.
if you cant find your size. then one must be a monster or a skeleton.
check the size chart.

Rankiz

Reaction score

Thanks,
Billy

Anyone know?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
hey bill jr., what is the watch your wearing?

btw, i think that pc looks great!

Blue OMEGA Seamaster. My favorite watch of all time.

Originally Posted by Epik
Fidelity one looks great, Moss. Definitely worth the money spent at the tailor. People don't pay the tailor for nothing.

The stock images of the Fidelity pea coat and pea coats in general aren't that good but they're very quality garments.

Thanks!
I found it not to be "slim fitting" like it says it is, hence the tailoring. I've since bulked up a bit (mostly weight gain, though some muscle increase) so I'm filling it out more. I just had my tailor close the vent (center vents always seem useless to me on shorter coats like this).

And yes, Fidelity is super high quality and my favorite thing about it is the super-slick satin lining which makes it extremely easy to get on and slip off. Every seam is a welt seam which seems just better to me.

Here's to a cold winter
smile.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Billy

Originally Posted by Rankiz
I'm also interested if someone could care to reply this.

It's been a while since I handled it AND it was in a factory outlet, but it was an academy peacoat and my initial impression was billowy with a constricting shoulder and quite flimsy. In fact it was just like another RL peacoat I tried on in a RL store a few years earlier - too weak feeling and insubstantial.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads