• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBreinin vs. Reevolving Fit Battle Threak

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
worst thread ever

No ..

We have done worse than that...
devil.gif

We're like Romans watching two gladiators fighting for their internet survival...

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
mike,

while there is a fair amount of variation in your jackets, they do overall seem to me to not be cut to most flattering effect. you have broad shoulders - but as you have pointed out, they don't slope at all; and you also have fairly generous hips. so when you apply a lot of waist suppression, you end up with a very angular, slightly exaggerated hour-glassy silhouette that i'm not sure is doing you a lot of favors.

the top-heavy effect may also be due to the fact that you appear to have normal (vs. really built up) legs, and your jackets all run an inch or two too long for your build (more noticeable on a couple, like the pinstripe DB, but generally true). coupled with the significant waist suppression, this leads to a skirt that flares out and gives you a look that is both top-heavy and hip-heavy.

if i were you, i'd have the jackets cut an inch or two shorter, ease up a bit on the waist suppression, and consider sizing down overall in the jackets (i could be wrong on the last one, but there does seem to be a lot of material in the chest in several.) also consider having the jacket shaped more holistically than just nipping it in at the sides directly at the waist; have your tailor work more around the armhole, play with the darts, etc - rather than just attacking the waist, which is easy but throws off proportion. you'll end up with less of an exaggerated "T" look.

cheers.

I don't do much to these jackets. I am not making them like this, in none of these pics I posted did I have a waist taken in, on a few it has even been let out. My hips are actually pretty much normal. I am not hippy by any stretch of the imagination. Here is what I look like without a jacket:

2112-3.JPG

Granted, I am not doing the robot, so you can't tell very well, but I don't have big hips.

I should take a picture of me in a jacket that is too big, I still have a couple in the closet.

Originally Posted by someotherstyle
Mike,

I honostly feel if you gave yourself more room through the front you would look trimmer and less "blocky" than you do now. The problem when the buttons strain the way they do now is that it looks like you're a "big guy" trying to fit into a "skinny suit". You're not the only person that this happens to as well. I'm in no way knocking you or your style either - I think you're a good dude. But maybe try one jacket, let it out through the front until there is no pull on the button, and post it up for comparison. I really do think it would help.

Anyways,
thumbs-up.gif
to being a good sport about all this.

Mike

There are at least three jackets in this post, that have ample room..to the point that I can pull the jacket forward at the button. The Kuhlman peaked lapel blue blazer, the Freeman's Sporting Club cream suit, the "Golden Polo" that started this crap and even that oxford blue Polo.

The problem is my chest. It alters everything. If I sized up to, let's say a 44, everything would fit on me like a sack. The shoulders would be huge, the length would be even longer, etc. I used to wear clothes like this, way too big. I can't stand that.

Anyway, this did not end up like I anticipated it would. I was hoping he would actually show up, so we could vote and be done with this stupidity. I guess not.

Mike

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
We're like Romans watching two gladiators fighting for their internet survival...
Weak simile considering only one contestant showed up.
boxing[1].gif

Originally Posted by in stitches
and yet you follow it religiously
Can't ... not ... look!

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving

First, I have to hand it to MB for being a great sport.
He adds to SF by posting a lot of his outfits.
I want to make it clear I am not trying to insult people, only offer my personal take on things.
It's also important to note I complimented 3 people in that original response, which denigrating 2.

The above pictures do not represent my current fit or mindset. They were part of my training.
In my epic "old man" thread, I agreed that my blue jacket pictured above fits terribly.
(As terribly as MB's 3 button, bell-bottom shaped "human corn cob pipe" jacket, which I will handily beat)

I am not ready to post my "final fit" submission just yet, and wasn't anticipating a new thread.
The challenge was put forth, but I have a few gaps in my closet, and there is a lag time to fill.
Rest assured, when I am ready, I will update this thread, and the vote will prevail.

This challenge will be a nice capstone project for this year, to show what I've learned.
2010 SF has changed the way I look at men's clothing forever, and I am almost ready to defend my dissertation.

If you have not a single well fitting outfit/jacket in your whole wardrobe, then you have lost (a contest which you started) by default. If you had a single well fitting outfit, you could have dressed in it and taken a photo in the time it took you post that soppy ****. At least bow out gracefully and admit you have been beaten.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I am by no means modding this contest and merely hosting it, I would say that Reev should have a new fit up by the end of the day tomorrow, otherwise that gives an unfair advantage. Otherwise, Ill call this null and void.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Is a contest null and void just because one contestant doesnt turn up ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Seriously ? I am pretty sure the one guy who shows up wins

someotherstyle

Reaction score
i think im going to call this for Mike. goodjob man. and take the criticism for whats it worth, don't get down about it. heres a trophy for you:

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should settle all disputes on this forum with these types of duels.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
We should settle all disputes on this forum with these types of duels.

Remind me not to get into beef with you. You would win a fit battle.
frown.gif

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF !! I went through seven pages and Reevolving (or however you spell it) didn't show up. I am a newby but as far as I'm concerned (whether I like his style or not) MBreinin won this thing, period.
boxing[1].gif

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two farking days after, we ended up with a hung jury?
facepalm.gif

We want a winner!
We want justice!

article-1070936-02ECE20200000578-478_468x306_popup.jpg

SNN2620D2G_682_394818a.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads