• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is English/British Style to You?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SH1296007_XL.jpg
d23---61910w---513.jpg
02de7797-1584-4182-ad13-a692a6082532.jpg
checkanderson.jpg
aaxa-800e-f08-x-31124.jpg
A0069CTGR_1_4.jpg
shoes10.jpg
solid-stick-umbrella.jpg
M144-Silver--Polo--Flask.aspx
Gladstone%20Bag.jpg

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the personification British style:
peacocking.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some GREAT pics in this thread. One thing nearly all my favourites in the thread share is their sense of humour. What I enjoy about English style is that it never takes itself too seriously. Even when dressing formally, there is usually an ironic touch or a frivolous twist. EDIT: George posted the image of the peacock above while I was typing up this post, but it's SO accurate, and readers should bear it in mind while reading the rest of this post. This is so refreshing and different to the traditions of Italian style (where there is a strong emphasis on achieving a relaxed elegant informality ("sprezz")) or US style (where there's a real emphasis on looking either cool/manly or professionally correct, depending on setting). The English do things differently; they may enjoy dressing up sometimes, but even when they do, they still look down their nose at the idea of doing so, feeling themselves to be better than that concept, and so often can't resist cocking a snook at what they're "meant" to look like. The eccentricity with pattern, colour and cut in many of the above images demonstrates that. Rather than rebel by not dressing up, they do dress up and then do something extravagant or frivolously daft with it. Even the spoof images, like Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge, are funny because he doesn't manage to achieve that very English mindset (something those from abroad may not quite grasp about the look). Same goes for Ricky Gervais' David Brent, actually, though he conveys his very un-English earnestness for professional acceptance in ways other than clothing. (Of course, most of the population in any country don't wear nice things, so the above is meant to only be relevant to the percentage of each population that takes care of their appearance... )

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
StJohnsCambridge_BridgeOfSighs.jpg

When I realised none of the punters actually went to the universities and they were all drug addicts who make up everything they say on their tours it kind of ruined it for me.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned you said "they" and not, "we".
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Some GREAT pics in this thread. One thing nearly all my favourites in the thread share is their sense of humour. What I enjoy about English style is that it never takes itself too seriously. Even when dressing formally, there is usually an ironic touch or a frivolous twist. EDIT: George posted the image of the peacock above while I was typing up this post, but it's SO accurate, and readers should bear it in mind while reading the rest of this post. This is so refreshing and different to the traditions of Italian style (where there is a strong emphasis on achieving a relaxed elegant informality ("sprezz")) or US style (where there's a real emphasis on looking either cool/manly or professionally correct, depending on setting). The English do things differently; they may enjoy dressing up sometimes, but even when they do, they still look down their nose at the idea of doing so, feeling themselves to be better than that concept, and so often can't resist cocking a snook at what they're "meant" to look like. The eccentricity with pattern, colour and cut in many of the above images demonstrates that. Rather than rebel by not dressing up, they do dress up and then do something extravagant or frivolously daft with it. Even the spoof images, like Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge, are funny because he doesn't manage to achieve that very English mindset (something those from abroad may not quite grasp about the look). Same goes for Ricky Gervais' David Brent, actually, though he conveys his very un-English earnestness for professional acceptance in ways other than clothing. (Of course, most of the population in any country don't wear nice things, so the above is meant to only be relevant to the percentage of each population that takes care of their appearance... )
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I'm concerned you said "they" and not, "we".
I've lived in England almost my entire life apart from the first year, but I don't think that makes me English! I consider myself British, but I don't think you can really be English unless you're born here.
wink.gif
However, I do think I've picked up some of their attitude when it comes to clothes.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Well, you've picked up on two interesting points: 1. Is the concept of dressing up. 2. The humour inherent in British dress. This is largely not understood on SF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics