• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samurai lovers

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjnv
Aries: When you say you sized down 1 from TTS, is that from your actual waist size? (ie. you waist measures 32, but you bought a tagged 30 which measures 31 unsoaked)

Biff: Same question...

Forum: Does TTS always mean sizing the actual jean measurements to your actual waist measurements??

TTS means that you are matching the tag size, not the actual jean measurements, to your true waist measurement. Actual jean measurements vary model to model, lot to lot, and even pair to pair, so using the tag size as a reference is a more standardized way of telling people how you sized.

For example, if my true waist measurement was 34" and I went TTS on the Samurai 710, that means I bought a tagged size 34. If I sized down one on the 510, it means I bought a size 33. The actual jean measurements have nothing to do with how I describe the sizing here.

Aries83

Reaction score
commodorewheeler is correct, the tagged size of a jean is rarely true, so I'm comparing my regular jean size across brands.

So my regular jean size is a 32, and I went with a 31.

Saying that, I may have to get rid of them and buy a 32. 2nd day of wear and they are still tight on the waist, it's not painful at all, really just a snug fit, but I'm not sure whether they'll stretch anymore, and may chafe after many hours of wear.

Opinions?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries83
commodorewheeler is correct, the tagged size of a jean is rarely true, so I'm comparing my regular jean size across brands.

So my regular jean size is a 32, and I went with a 31.

Saying that, I may have to get rid of them and buy a 32. 2nd day of wear and they are still tight on the waist, it's not painful at all, really just a snug fit, but I'm not sure whether they'll stretch anymore, and may chafe after many hours of wear.

Opinions?

As far as sizing goes, it is customary to do your true waist measurement rather than your regular jean size for the most accurate info. What if all of the brands that you've worn in the past happened to be vanity sized? That would skew the accuracy of your sizing info.

As far as the Sams go, I think you are going to be fine with them if they are not uncomfortably tight now. There is still probably some stretch, I'd give them at least a few more days of wear before giving up on them.

Aries83

Reaction score
Agreed mate, but I've been wearing Japanese brands of denim for years now and I'm pretty consistently the same size, so I thought it'd be safe.

Glad to hear about the Sams, they fit so perfectly I will definitely give them a few more days before looking for a 32. I give them until Christmas!!!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agreed mate, but I've been wearing Japanese brands of denim for years now and I'm pretty consistently the same size, so I thought it'd be safe. Glad to hear about the Sams, they fit so perfectly I will definitely give them a few more days before looking for a 32. I give them until Christmas!!!
out of curiosity, what does the waist measure? have they stretched out to 32"? i would think they wouldnt go to much beyond that ...

Aries83

Reaction score
Just checked, not *quite* 32 yet (15.5 inches on the front). Just thrown them on again, they fit tight but not uncomfortable. If I get half an inch more I'll be happy.

Better watch my Christmas weight though!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just checked, not *quite* 32 yet (15.5 inches on the front). Just thrown them on again, they fit tight but not uncomfortable. If I get half an inch more I'll be happy. Better watch my Christmas weight though!
totally! your golden dude. you should at least get another 1/2 ... maybe a full inch. i have had one pair of 710s go about 1/2 inch past the raw measurement. im happy for you and there not even my ******* jeans! lol!

Biff

Reaction score
...so i soaked my 710's again in hot water (while adding a kettle full of boiling water) as i wasn't totally satisfied with the fit...

...and they shrank even more... a little snug in the waist for now, but we all know how that goes...
laugh.gif

feeling much better about the fit now...

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biff
...so i soaked my 710's again in hot water (while adding a kettle full of boiling water) as i wasn't totally satisfied with the fit... ...and they shrank even more... a little snug in the waist for now, but we all know how that goes...
laugh.gif
feeling much better about the fit now...

excellent. you might have one more to go to get most of the shrinkage out of the way. if you wear a belt sometimes that limits the amount of stretch around your waist area if your concerned about them stretching out to much again. it sounds weird but the belt has worked for me in the past.

Aries83

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
totally! your golden dude. you should at least get another 1/2 ... maybe a full inch. i have had one pair of 710s go about 1/2 inch past the raw measurement.

im happy for you and there not even my ******* jeans! lol!

Haha, awesome, cheers mate!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
update on black knights. going to give them a last wash and then send off to htc/dd to get some repair work done then there going back in the closet. next ...

DSCN0142.jpg
DSCN0135.jpg
DSCN0133.jpg
DSCN0126.jpg

Aries83

Reaction score
Ok they finally fit beautifully around the waist on the 3rd day guys. To cuff or not to cuff?
photo22.jpg
photo12.jpg

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok they finally fit beautifully around the waist on the 3rd day guys. To cuff or not to cuff?
photo22.jpg
photo12.jpg

Looks good! No cuff, with this cut, I'd let them stack.

Islander

Reaction score
Ok they finally fit beautifully around the waist on the 3rd day guys.

To cuff or not to cuff?
photo12.jpg

Do you have a washing machine in your kitchen?

Oh yeah jeans look perfect too
biggrin.gif
(+1 no cuff)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads