• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBreinin vs. Reevolving Fit Battle Threak

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'd say it looks a little "old" to me too.
peepwall[1].gif
No offense, you asked for our opinion.
2noifs.jpg
9r6tci.jpg
25sq3ip.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
May I suggest a third contender?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I thought SF's official contender to take on LB was PT Williams

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mike, something is really off about your jackets. The buttoning point is too high on many of them and the DB button spacing is too close (particularly inelegant when matched with the too-high gorge). I think you wind up looking a lot broader around the torso than you really are.

zerostyle

Reaction score
I'm new around here and not nearly knowledgeable as most, but I can totally see what reevolving is saying.

A lot of those jackets just look wrong to me - there's something about them being a bit too long and having a really odd silhouette.

Mike - could you number the pictures so people could more easily comment please?

Fits that look off to me: Pictures #1,2,3,8

Fits that look good to me: Pictures # 4, 7, 9, 11,12

Can't really tell/don't care: 5, 6, 10,13,14,15

In general though, I should note that I generally hate 3-button suits and those with a high button stance. I think you are doing something odd with the double breasted suits as mafoofan mentioned above.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
what's the crazy red plaid? I like that.

That is a Stanley Blacker SC from 1963.

Originally Posted by srivats
Mike, you look much better in fuller trousers. I really liked the "golden" jacket under fire.

Which trousers do you prefer?

Originally Posted by ecclespeccles
Haven't been following the smack battle but Mbreinin's fits look sick...looking forward to anonymous internet schoolyard shaming

Well, I appreciate that.

Originally Posted by jamesbond
Mike, I like all your fits but love the Nutter especially. Given that some of your stuff is vintage I really can't see anything that is too far off on your fits, actually they all look damn good. Maybe if it was all Savile Row bespoke and you paid top dollar then there might be a reason to complain but as a huge RL fan myself I say rock on!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

The Nutter is a love/hate. I appreciate the feedback.

Originally Posted by someotherstyle
Mike,

I have no doubt you will take this contest, and all that. I do have to say, however, I'd love for you to let out most of your jackets. To my eye, they almost all look a bit "snug" across the front.

Other than that, best threak in a while, thanks for the good humor!

I have a big chest. I often get stuff that is a little too small, because if I size up, I am wearing a tent in all other respects and frankly, I spend more than I am comfortable with at my tailor already. I am nearly 41, I don't look like the contender with my shirt off.
lol8[1].gif
If I did, I would be thrilled.

Originally Posted by Ivystyle
You made me wanna increase my DB collection.. excellent display of personal style.. My BIG question is, WHERE IS THE CONTENDER? Seems you brought a machine gun to a knife fight Mike. haha

I love DBs, and I always have. Finding one that fits right is a challenge in and of itself.

Originally Posted by Made in California
I have been waiting FOREVER for a fit battle. I'm extremely pleased with this thread.

I aim to please.

Originally Posted by aj_del
For me, MB wins it hands down because being a good guy is more important (to me) than being well dressed. So, even if Reevolving is as well dressed as PG/Vox, I would still vote for MB.

Thanks, AJ. I do appreciate it. However, this is about having better style and better fitting clothes, something Reevolving claimed he did. I still don't see his fits.

Originally Posted by Metlin
I agree. I really enjoyed this one in particular, very nice indeed.

That one is at the tailor right now for more work. That was the test-drive and we determined it needed more.

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
yeah, that one hits like a judo chop to the neck.

Thanks, woe. See above.

Originally Posted by F. Corbera

Yeah, no. I am not taking on the great LB!

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Mike, something is really off about your jackets. The buttoning point is too high on many of them and the DB button spacing is too close (particularly inelegant when matched with the too-high gorge). I think you wind up looking a lot broader around the torso than you really are.

That's a nice blanket statement, Foo. I posted close to 20 pics which contain everything from brand new Sartoria Partenopea suits, to vintage relics. Many of them are unaltered, some are altered. Why don't you give me an example of one of these jackets that you think is "really off?"

For you to say that something is off with all of these jackets doesn't help at all, quite frankly. Also, let's keep in mind that we have a different sense of aesthetics and that pictures, by their very nature, modify images.

And, I am not a small person. I may not be very tall, but I am pretty big. I am certainly not a member of the 36R club.

Originally Posted by zerostyle
I'm new around here and not nearly knowledgeable as most, but I can totally see what reevolving is saying.

A lot of those jackets just look wrong to me - there's something about them being a bit too long and having a really odd silhouette.

Mike - could you number the pictures so people could more easily comment please?

Fits that look off to me: Pictures #1,2,3,8

Fits that look good to me: Pictures # 4, 7, 9, 11,12

Can't really tell/don't care: 5, 6, 10,13,14,15

In general though, I should note that I generally hate 3-button suits and those with a high button stance. I think you are doing something odd with the double breasted suits as mafoofan mentioned above.

Well, I will have to go back and look at which ones you like and which ones you don't. I don't hate 3 button suits, and only a couple of these are true 3 buttoners. With the exception of the first DB, I have done nothing to the buttons on these. The flannel DB has had nothing done to it at all, that is excatly how it came. The Charcoal has had the waist let out a little bit. It is back for more.

I guess Reevolving is either feverishly working on a fit, or he is not coming to the party. I say we poll off of his already existing WAYWRN images and the ones he put up in his "old man" thread.

Mike

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. First, I have to hand it to MB for being a great sport. He adds to SF by posting a lot of his outfits. I want to make it clear I am not trying to insult people, only offer my personal take on things. It's also important to note I complimented 3 people in that original response, which denigrating 2. The above pictures do not represent my current fit or mindset. They were part of my training. In my epic "old man" thread, I agreed that my blue jacket pictured above fits terribly. (As terribly as MB's 3 button, bell-bottom shaped "human corn cob pipe" jacket, which I will handily beat) I am not ready to post my "final fit" submission just yet, and wasn't anticipating a new thread. The challenge was put forth, but I have a few gaps in my closet, and there is a lag time to fill. Rest assured, when I am ready, I will update this thread, and the vote will prevail. This challenge will be a nice capstone project for this year, to show what I've learned. 2010 SF has changed the way I look at men's clothing forever, and I am almost ready to defend my dissertation.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MB's fit images speak for themselves especially when compared to the 'old man' and 'shirtless tape measure' images. In addition Mike, your ability to communicate exactly what I am thinking is uncanny. For instance:

Originally Posted by MBreinin
I admit this comment initially gave me some pause. If it had been posted by someone who had demonstrated, through his own posts, even a rudimentary grasp of the concepts of personal style and fit, I would still be concerned. Since it was posted by someone who has demonstrated the exact opposite, I am nonplussed.

Mike

Originally Posted by MBreinin

I guess Reevolving is either feverishly working on a fit, or he is not coming to the party. I say we poll off of his already existing WAYWRN images and the ones he put up in his "old man" thread.

Mike

Note, even if Reevolving joins the fray with some fantastically styled new fit pics, the 'old man' and shirtless images should be included at the very least for posterity [and context]. It's images like those as well as comments like those below that offer some insight to the question, "Who IS reevolving?" I'm not entirely convinced he's a real person. Who in their right mind would consistently post things like the following:

Originally Posted by Reevolving
...As a Harvard/Wharton finance boy...

Speaking for myself, I never check the "$200k+" box on those customer personal info cards...First, I never answer that ****...

...Something is way off, I'm just not good enough to pinpoint it...Also, look up "Tu quoque"

...Also, look up "Tu quoque"

Reevolving's threaks and comments can't be from the mind of one person posted with sincerity. They must be the result of a highly paid think tank conceived for the sole purpose of out-douching the internet message board community...

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
I had to go through the page's source code to be able to view the video. For anyone else who had difficulty, here is the video:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Still no fit pictures.
boxing[1].gif
Edit: I see you put the link in now, reevolving. Next time, just put the last 11 letters/numbers (i.e., HMrq_6R0dlM) in between the youtube tags.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, I have to hand it to MB for being a great sport.
I don't intend to compete with 20 pictures.

My old pictures do not represent my current fit or mindset.
In my epic "old man" thread, I agreed that my blue jacket pictured above fits terribly.
(As terribly as MB's 3 button, bell-bottom shaped "human corn cob pipe" jacket)

The challenge was put forth, but I have a few gaps in my closet, and I am trying to fill. There is a lag time.
I am not ready to post my "final fit" submission just yet, and wasn't anticipating a new thread.
Rest assured, as soon as I am ready, I will update this thread, and the vote will prevail.

This challenge will be a nice capstone project for this year, to show what I've learned.
2010 SF has changed the way I look at men's clothing forever, and I am almost ready to defend my dissertation.

OK, I am waiting with anticipation. Keep in mind, that my pics above represent somewhat my own sartorial journey. They are not all brand new pics, some of them are quite old. I wanted to post a good cross section of stuff I have worn over time here, not just the cream of the crop. I even posted images that were met with criticism, because I want to paint a full picture of my style and how it has developed over time.

I could go into the closet and pull out some new fits, unseen previously, but I think I will just let my existing "portfolio" stand.

Mike

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Seriously, all this yapping and you can't post up a single fit?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem, MB. I appreciate your digging into your archives to "let it all hang out", so to speak. But, just as my blue jacket represents my sartorial errors, you should not be judged on past learning curves. "You're only as good as your last game" is the theme here. But, when it comes to the official vote, I think we should pick 2 pictures each, and go with it. Your old pictures have been previously rated by SF, and introduce bias into the final showdown. All the more reason to go with your new, unseen fits. I am confident. If you think your yellow jacket looks good, that is all I need to know. At the very least, I will beat that monstrosity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads