• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about Tom Ford suit

jbrie645

Reaction score
Hello,

There is a Tom Ford suit, linked below, which may be available for me to purchase for $1500 USD. The original retail price is about $4000. There is one slight problem: the suit is too big. I heard Tom Ford sizes are a little different than the standard but this is pretty huge. The suit is 41R. I normally wear 41 Tall. The Tom Ford though is a full size too big for me.

I have two questions:

1. I feel $1500 is a damn good deal for a Tom Ford suit but I've been lurking on styleforum for a bit and all I hear about is ridiculous deals. Would this deal be considered great by even a styleforum standard or just by retail standard?

2. Do you think a tailor can bring in the suit enough to make it fit perfectly? The salesman himself was pretty skeptical which is a red flag for me, although I thought the suit looked good on me. If a suit is a full size too big can a tailor fix it up to make it perfect?

Link to suit below:

http://www.shopstyle.com/product/tom...ants/186459730

Thanks in advance for all input.

Nautilus

Reaction score
The shoulders need to be perfect, and the jacket cannot be too long or short. If either of these are off, then skip it, not worth trying to fix.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People really should learn to ignore MSRP or other prices . If they hike the MSRP 200% then give you a 50% discount do you get excited about the 50% discount?

jbrie645

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

what is a "proper" price to pay for a Tom Ford suit. of course, the price varies with the suit, so for simplicity I'll refer to the one that I have linked for the price reference.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbrie645
Hello,

There is a Tom Ford suit, linked below, which may be available for me to purchase for $1500 USD. The original retail price is about $4000. There is one slight problem: the suit is too big. I heard Tom Ford sizes are a little different than the standard but this is pretty huge. The suit is 41R. I normally wear 41 Tall. The Tom Ford though is a full size too big for me.

I have two questions:

1. I feel $1500 is a damn good deal for a Tom Ford suit but I've been lurking on styleforum for a bit and all I hear about is ridiculous deals. Would this deal be considered great by even a styleforum standard or just by retail standard?

2. Do you think a tailor can bring in the suit enough to make it fit perfectly? The salesman himself was pretty skeptical which is a red flag for me, although I thought the suit looked good on me. If a suit is a full size too big can a tailor fix it up to make it perfect?

Link to suit below:

http://www.shopstyle.com/product/tom...ants/186459730

Thanks in advance for all input.

I freakin LOVE LOVE this suit! I would love to buy one, however, I've gotta shell out a couple thousand for b school apps in a month so I'm holding off.

I've actually seen this exact "style" in hugo or was it varvatos. check out your local bloomies

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ive never heard of TF sizing in odd numbers - 41, 43, etc.. Are you sure? The suits run small, so make sure you go up a size. Seriously, they are all small. Also check eBay completed listings for your market value - they usually sell NWT anywhere between 995-1700 depending.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RTW sizing is not consistent between brands and you also have to take cut into consideration, which also varies.

You need to try a suit on to know whether it's worth the price. I'd rather pay $1500 for Hickey Freeman at full retail than $500 for a Tom Ford suit on steep discount if the former fit better.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ive never heard of TF sizing in odd numbers - 41, 43, etc.. Are you sure? The suits run small, so make sure you go up a size. Seriously, they are all small. Also check eBay completed listings for your market value - they usually sell NWT anywhere between 995-1700 depending.

41 would be a true Italian 52. If you think about it cm don't convert straight to inches.

pkiula

Reaction score
Not sure which link you're seeing, but when I click on to Bluefly (where the suit is actually to be sold) the size listed in the shopping cart is 38R (48R). So it's not really in contention is it?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
Not sure which link you're seeing, but when I click on to Bluefly (where the suit is actually to be sold) the size listed in the shopping cart is 38R (48R). So it's not really in contention is it?

Well, the OP is looking in a shop that's not Bluefly. I'm sure that TF suits are all labeled with Italian sizes and it is up to the shop how they translate those into American sizes. Bluefly probably does what most stores do and just subtracts 10. The OP's shop probably does differently and goes with a true translation of Italian to American sizing. I doubt that Bluefly suit has a "38" written anywhere on the label.

mco543

Reaction score
Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd ask here if you don't mind, but do all Tom Ford suits have ticket pockets? I love the overall style of his suits but the ticket pocket usually ruins it for me.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd ask here if you don't mind, but do all Tom Ford suits have ticket pockets? I love the overall style of his suits but the ticket pocket usually ruins it for me.

The ones I've seen do. If you're planning to buy one at MSRP, might as well do MTM and get it to your specs. Otherwise, you could always have the flap removed from the ticket pocket so it is less pronounced.

I actually like ticket pockets but feel Ford's flaps are too large/long and therefore it is too busy.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks super long and pretty Zegna´s run on the mill, sorry to say.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a very nice suit - could not see it ever selling for under $1000 brand new. Quality may be consistent with Zegna, but looks count more here than quality.

I would buy it provided the shoulder to shoulder width is correct for you. The rest is tailorable at some expense though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads