• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to lace a shoe

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok this might sound like a stupid question but how do you lace up a shoe to look good? I just got a pair of brown punch toe oxfords, 5 hole and each time i lace them they don't look right. Is there a certain method that i should be using to make them look good, or is it pretty much what ever works for me? Maybe i'm just to used to seeing shoes with that display lace up that looks so perfect.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Berluti knot.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. what is the burluti knot?

2. I straighlace my shoes - unfortunatly I can't think how to discribe this to you, can anybody explain how to straightlace shoes in such a way that it makes sense?

uppercase

Reaction score
That is a cool site and an interesting guy as well if you read about his interests.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Lacing can be for style and/or comfort.

Classic method - a simple crisscross with the lace going into the bottom eyelets and underneath the next eyelet and crossing to the eyelets on the opposite side.

Horizontal - used for display purposes, but it can relieve pressure on feet with high arches. Bring one end of the lace straight up from the underneath the bottom eyelet to the top eyelet lacing the other end of the lace horizontally, then to the next eyelet on the same side and across the tongue to the one opposite.

Another method, same effect is to lace the bottom two eyelets, take the left lace up through the next eyelet on the left. Next bring the lace across the tongue and up through the opposite eyelet, then the right lace up through the eyelet directly above, bring that lace across the tongue and up through the opposite eyelet.

Andy

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great sites, thanks. I'm using the european method but i don't think it works as well with 5 hole shoes. Oh well i like the way they look now.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a pair of Oxfords with 4 eyelets... What would the best way to lace these be? The stock picture has the laces looking like this:

br514469-00vliv01.jpg

But I have no idea how they managed that or if its even how they should be done. I see no way to actually tie these laces once they are laced up! Could anyone please explain the best way to do it for the shoe above?

Thanks!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That style of lacing is generally for display only, you'll want to do a simple criss-cross to make them easier to lace.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Got them from Banana Republic. I thought you do straight lacing on Oxfords? Not criss cross?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics