• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dairy Phobic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
how well do the regular iron works boots hold up in snow/rain?
are you slipping and sliding everywhere?

the soles are quite slippery, it just has tracks and not lugs, but doesnt really matter to me, because i dun walk in the snow i walk on the sidewalk,

but i have another pair of boots with lugs on them to walk in if the snow hasnt been plowed yet

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you guys are worried about the Obenauf's not providing enough protection or wearing off too quickly I can heartily recommend Montana Pitch Blend. There was a discussion about it in the Wolverine 1000mile thread and I snagged some from their site. Very good ****.

phaseshift

Reaction score
this probably has been answered already but this is an enormous thread.

Someone mentioned to go 1/2 size down when getting the Katahdins, I'm a size 9 us in sneakers like Addidas Sambas with maybe a quarter to half inch room in the toes. Should I just go with 8 1/2 or maybe smaller?

also what does TTS mean

asdf

Reaction score
^I don't own Sambas but my Stan Smiths are the same size as my Katahdins, if that helps.

TTS means "true to size," only useful once you agree on what the benchmark is.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
If you guys are worried about the Obenauf's not providing enough protection or wearing off too quickly I can heartily recommend Montana Pitch Blend. There was a discussion about it in the Wolverine 1000mile thread and I snagged some from their site. Very good ****.
I've gone hiking in snow and worn them to work where I'm constantly walking through snow, and I've stayed totally dry. I put three coats of Obenauf's on though, so YMMV.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
this probably has been answered already but this is an enormous thread.

Someone mentioned to go 1/2 size down when getting the Katahdins, I'm a size 9 us in sneakers like Addidas Sambas with maybe a quarter to half inch room in the toes. Should I just go with 8 1/2 or maybe smaller?

also what does TTS mean

I'm a 10 in most athletic shoes including sambas. I have katahdins in 9.5 (same as my dress shoes).

galenpriv

Reaction score
Hey guys. I went to LL Bean today and they only have the Katahdin Waterproof boots in the store. Is sizing similar? After reading all the posts I asked for smaller sizes, but when I finally found ones that fit, they were size 10 which is what I wear normally (I often wear 9.5 in others too). Is the lining a lot thicker making there a need to size up in the waterproof version? Thanks.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
TTS means "true to size," only useful once you agree on what the benchmark is.
I thought the benchmark was the Brannock device?

wrongturnsteve

Reaction score
with the brannock, left foot is half size larger and both EE.

i went with the larger size in D and they fit perfect

phaseshift

Reaction score
if just wearing these around the city, such as Los Angeles, how long would a coat of Obenauf's stay on? I like the darker color so that's why I got 4oz of Obenauf's, how long should it stay dark for?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a *very* lightly worn boot (5-6 times) in size 9D? They are practically new. My price is 100 + shipping. These boots are not light
laugh.gif

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
if just wearing these around the city, such as Los Angeles, how long would a coat of Obenauf's stay on? I like the darker color so that's why I got 4oz of Obenauf's, how long should it stay dark for?

Wear it and find out. When you need more, apply more. Sheesh.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Ive been talking to another member who's got the LL beans and I liked the way he got his LL Beans to look, he used Obenauf's Oil instead of the LP, what's the difference between the two and if you apply one coat are they both going to look the same?

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Anyone interested in a *very* lightly worn boot (5-6 times) in size 9D? They are practically new. My price is 100 + shipping. These boots are not light
laugh.gif

I may be interested if I don't get a pair for christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads