• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expertise in your career

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
What metrics are useful for determining expertise? Number of invited talks you give around the world? Nobel prize? Paycheck size?

An expert is someone that knows more than their client
smile.gif

I'm certainly an expert to my clients but put me in a room alongside the people who build the software I implement and I'm a drooling idiot in comparison.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What metrics are useful for determining expertise? Number of invited talks you give around the world? Nobel prize? Paycheck size?

I'd say when other people who do what you do contact you on a regular basis for advice, that is a sign of expertise, or when organizations of your peers ask you to speak.

more than that - if you have a good idea of what your industry is up to, you can often see how people like you are doing, and how you compare.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine you need expertise to be a mid level manager. So I guess I am competent. But then I see many peers who lack both and still survive.

I'm always reminded that management is repetitive, boring and no one makes a movie about it.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I'm asked about once a quarter to speak on public assistance fraud. Given that I stutter, I'm somewhat amused, flattered.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I have neither expertise nor competence. However, I am a commanding figure and know how to impress people.

My stars...that is impressive.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I'd say when other people who do what you do contact you on a regular basis for advice, that is a sign of expertise, or when organizations of your peers ask you to speak.

Well then....
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I'm asked about once a quarter to speak on public assistance fraud. Given that I stutter, I'm somewhat amused, flattered.

I used to stammer, but not since I was a kid.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that brings up one of the points in the discussion I had: what is more economical, lots of competent workers or one expert?

Defintely competent workers.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I am a jedi in my field.

You may think so young padawan
lol8[1].gif

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Tax lawyering definitely requires expertise... I am certainly not an expert but that takes time given the subject matter.
dozingoff.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are only a couple of hundred people in the world who do what I do; while I'm not an expert in the sense that there are academics in the field who know the details much better than I do, I am more than competent in applications, and knowing how the details affect applications.

Another cool point I have recently realized is that because it is so complicated, and because I can explain it clearly but without dumbing it down -- that combines to make me impressive. I can deal with that.

~ H

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Another cool point I have recently realized is that because it is so complicated, and because I can explain it clearly but without dumbing it down -- that combines to make me impressive.

~ H

One of my mentors, and definitely one of the most accomplished people of the last century in food, told me that that is the basic element of mastery.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I'm probably one of a handful of lawyers who can be keep you out of jail in MD/DC when you get caught with a few hundred units of heroin in your SUV.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I am expert in the market I operate and pretty highly regarded in my field generally. The absence of any other experts in my industry in my market means that I have to make something of a personal priority to keeping my own skills up, it would be very very easy to fall behind here. So...I do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads