• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiton comes to Hong Kong

ApplesHK

Reaction score
Was strolling through IFC Mall yesterday and next to the new Burberry location is a new shop proclaiming Kiton Opening Soon. Suspect this will have HKSFers salivating.
bigstar[1].gif

dbc

Reaction score

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iyorito
just to look around but never purchase

to try **** on for size, then go home and search Ebay. I give it max 2 years lifespan.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
to try **** on for size, then go home and search Ebay. I give it max 2 years lifespan.
Are there not enough rich Chinese, who are brand whores?

Kiton has been in Russia for many years (maybe 12-14 or even more), and they are having success. Those rich people would rather buy Kiton or Brioni, as it is well-known brand, than go a bespoke route.

I think that Russia and HK, China are pretty much the same in the luxury sphere.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Are there not enough rich Chinese, who are brand whores?

Kiton has been in Russia for many years (maybe 12-14 or even more), and they are having success. Those rich people would rather buy Kiton or Brioni, as it is well-known brand, than go a bespoke route.

I think that Russia and HK, China are pretty much the same in the luxury sphere.

Kiton is not enough of a brand to attract brand whores yet. Russians are different, they try so hard to live the image of old money Europeans. Chinese just want to impress their fellow Chinese. Can't do that with a brand no one can pronounce or have heard of.

banis

Reaction score
Kiton is not enough of a brand to attract brand whores yet. Russians are different, they try so hard to live the image of old money Europeans. Chinese just want to impress their fellow Chinese. Can't do that with a brand no one can pronounce or have heard of.
Makes sense somehow.
Is it really difficult for Chinese to pronounce Kiton? What about Lattanzi? He has three places in China, as much as in Italy. Whereas only one in Russia and in the USA.
It all depends on the marketing that will be chosen by Kiton. Anyone knew about them or Brioni here in Russia 15 years ago. Now it is too popular among riches.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Makes sense somehow. Is it really difficult for Chinese to pronounce Kiton? What about Lattanzi? He has three places in China, as much as in Italy. Whereas only one in Russia and in the USA. It all depends on the marketing that will be chosen by Kiton. Anyone knew about them or Brioni here in Russia 15 years ago. Now it is too popular among riches.
There are two Kiton stores in Beijing, and they are always empty. They survive for two reasons only, cheap rents, and local investors, Italian government subsidies fronting all the money. But sooner or later, these type of stores will die. The market here is just not ready yet. Canteralli is closing their store in Beijing now after 2 years, everything 60% off. The people who know what Kiton is spend enough time overseas to not pay the crazy mark up locally, while the stupid rich local coal mine owners wouldn't care what he wears. Their kids do, but they rather drop money on Tom Ford and a lambo than boasting about the button holes on their jackets. To do well here you need a lot of marketing fire power, that's why Berluti is successful since they've got the mothership dropping ad bombs in every fashion magazine and every other way possible. Another way is to break into the social circles and have your product become a status symbol, but talking about soft canvas and button holes is just too difficult for regular people to understand. Nobody wants to have to explain to their buddies why he paid $10k for his jacket, it should tell everyone how expensive by the big fat logo on the back. Maybe if Kiton come out with a monogram one day....(I wouldn't be surprised)

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Makes sense somehow.
Is it really difficult for Chinese to pronounce Kiton? What about Lattanzi? He has three places in China, as much as in Italy. Whereas only one in Russia and in the USA.
It all depends on the marketing that will be chosen by Kiton. Anyone knew about them or Brioni here in Russia 15 years ago. Now it is too popular among riches.

Lattanzi survives in China by selling golf shoes, and the only reason people will buy their golf shoes is so that they can tell their buddies how much he paid for them. They sell very few dress shoes.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lattanzi survives in China by selling golf shoes, and the only reason people will buy their golf shoes is so that they can tell their buddies how much he paid for them. They sell very few dress shoes.

Makes me so want to have some Lattanzi shooz.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Are there not enough rich Chinese, who are brand whores? Kiton has been in Russia for many years (maybe 12-14 or even more), and they are having success. Those rich people would rather buy Kiton or Brioni, as it is well-known brand, than go a bespoke route. I think that Russia and HK, China are pretty much the same in the luxury sphere.
Wow, rich people in Russia (and, if applicable, rich people in Hong Kong and China) are incredibly (dare I say disastrously?) ignorant!
angry.gif
eek.gif
eh.gif
facepalm.gif
mad.gif
puzzled.gif
rolleyes.gif
rotflmao.gif
frown.gif
sarcasm.gif
uhoh.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Makes me so want to have some Lattanzi shooz.

i would be cheaper to buy JLP bespoke in HK that RTW L in shanghai, the last time i went at least

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
But I want my Lattanzi to brag to my rich Chinese friends
smile.gif

he is obviously missing the point
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads