• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Office has become Project Runway: any sociologists or psyche majors in the house?

Farmgate

Reaction score
My nice, quiet law office has become Project Runway, overnight, and I need some insight and advice.

By way of explanation, for years, the ladies labored in this firm in relative stealth, in fashionable, but conservative dress.

But within the past few weeks, however, I have noticed a dramatic trend in everyone's dress and hair styling. Dresses are low cut in some cases, expensive and short. The purses come from LV. The heels are getting higher. The ladies with 30-year old Dorothy Hamel cuts are now trying something new. Even the lady in the copy room colored her hair Tampa Bay orange.

It's not just the young, single babes. It's married women, 40 year olds, attorneys and staff.

Again, I am seeing lots of skin. In some cases, I have to purposely look out the window during meetings to keep from starring at cleavage.

I have some explanations for this phenomenon: one theory is that they are vying for someone's attention. Out of 25 employees, there are three men. And all are married except this one single bachelor in the firm, who is sharp looking, intelligent and available. Maybe they're vying for his attention, even the married gals.

The other theory is that one influential employee has decided to "up" her game and adopt high fashion as a means of method of demonstrating dominance over the other ladies.

Finally, I have been told in the past that I don't thank people enough for what they do. My thought is that a paycheck and job is the best way to thank someone. I have tried to up my game and bring attention to great performances when appropriate, however, such gratitude may not be enough to satisfy the ladies' need for validation, and they're dressing up as a way to to illicit complements from other females, as an ego boost.

If there are any psychiatrists or sociologists on the board, or people who have an opinon and helpful advice, would they care to comment on this explosion of fashion in my office? What is the fashion explosion saying about the atmosphere our work place?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

yakmerchant

Reaction score
Not a shrink. But my guess is ball is in play. Single dude is banging atleast 1 of them. 1 or 2 of them are squared off and upped their game, next thing you know you have sick building syndrome for self esteem impaired women.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One started dressing hot for no reason but with the competitive nature of women the challenge was on.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
One started dressing hot for no reason but with the competitive nature of women the challenge was on.

This ^

By the way I can tell you as a Sociologist that your office really isn't a big enough pool., Sociology speaking

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's the problem????

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who's not a sociologist, we need pictures.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
By the way I can tell you as a Sociologist that your office really isn't a big enough pool., Sociology speaking

It is if he's trying to explain what's going on in his place of work. Trying to extrapolate that to the greater society would be an issue.

Farmgate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
what's the problem????

Not really a problem, in fact, this has been a very productive year. Still, I am amazed at how swiftly we've gone from a very boring, conservative legal shop, to a Prada fashion show in literally 12 weeks. Having labored in Introductory Sociology and Psychology, I think I'm on to something, and my concern is, frankly, that these ladies are not getting enough attention at home, or work, and are fishing for proverbial complements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads