• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Culling neckties (New ties added)

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Newtie.jpg

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The last one doesn't look cheap, but does look very dated. I could see Olddog getting away with wearing it though.

Thanks. Yesterday I boarded a crowded city bus accompanied by a woman friend, and a young man offered me, not my companion, his seat. Anyway, regarding the tie, it appears to be a printed jacquard with an orange ground. I got away with wearing/posting this one, purchased more than 15 years ago, just last spring:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
This thread would be interesting if the 3 ties in the OP turn out to be vintage Marinella / Cappelli or something like that.
Spoiler alert! (Just kidding.)

Originally Posted by aj_del
That said, all 7 ties in the pic above are nice though a little boring. But then SF like boring ties and eye popping pocket squares
Maybe my memory is off, but it seems to me that it used to be popular for shirts to be plain and ties to be bold; now the reverse seems more the norm -- at least on the Forvm. I believe it was Carson Kressley who said "Shirts are the new ties," and we all know what an SF icon he is.
stirpot.gif

Originally Posted by eg1
SF be damned -- I like the boring ones.
I believe that's a contradiction.

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
Yesterday I boarded a crowded city bus accompanied by a woman friend, and a young man offered me, not my companion, his seat.
I hope you tuned him up, Dog. He was cruisin' for a bruisin'. Thanks for posting your tie for comparison. I'm eager to hear what people have to say on the subject.

I'll also be posting more batches of ties in the near future, folks -- ties that are much more "problematic" than the last bunch -- so stay tuned.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And here's one that's not cheap, but no one seems to like it anyway:

Newtie.jpg

This one's not so bad.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This one's not so bad.
Come on, Foo! Moar! I'm looking for guidelines here.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I boarded a crowded city bus accompanied by a woman friend, and a young man offered me, not my companion, his seat.

I hope you tuned him up, Dog. He was cruisin' for a bruisin'.

Actually, I was quite encouraged that he showed respect for his elder. And since my friend is in her twenties, he probably just assumed she was my caretaker, an understandable mistake.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think 1, 3 are horrible; 2 is not good but on a pinch could pass (especially at night were it is not as noticeable). A rule of thumb for you is the following:

DON'T
(1) don't buy ties that have a swirly sheen to them different to the underlying pattern (changing the angle of view to see this);
(2) don't buy ties that have a pattern that is complex with several colors and shading (that's what kills tie #3--if it were just the rusty orange with a simple pattern (without the shading, etc.) it would have been fine.) That's why o/o's works better. The underlying orange color is uniform.
(3) don't buy ties that are too thin and flimsy

DO:
(1) buy ties that have simple, distinct patters or no patterns
(2) stick to high quality, natural fibers
(3) remember that less is more--why do you think a large-motif herringbone grey cashmere tie would exude thrills on this site? (See edmorel)...
(4) woven tend to be nicer than printed ties

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, I was quite encouraged that he showed respect for his elder. And since my friend is in her twenties, he probably just assumed she was my caretaker, an understandable mistake.

Lol...!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approved.jpg

I would wear all of these. You should be shot for the first 3 you posted, however. Don't give them away, use them as polishing cloths for your black shoes. When buying ties, I look for weight (thickness) pattern (pindot) and craftsmanship. It should pass the hang & knot tests. Forget the brand name. I can post some of my ties if you'd like.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
2 is not good but on a pinch could pass (especially at night were it is not as noticeable).
I still don't see why my purple tie isn't getting more love here. Perhaps the pic is making it look shinier than it really is. In real life, it's thick, luxurious, and lovely.

Originally Posted by EBugatti
DON'T
(1) don't buy ties that have a swirly sheen to them different to the underlying pattern (changing the angle of view to see this);
(2) don't buy ties that have a pattern that is complex with several colors and shading (that's what kills tie #3--if it were just the rusty orange with a simple pattern (without the shading, etc.) it would have been fine.) That's why o/o's works better. The underlying orange color is uniform.
(3) don't buy ties that are too thin and flimsy

DO:
(1) buy ties that have simple, distinct patters or no patterns
(2) stick to high quality, natural fibers
(3) remember that less is more--why do you think a large-motif herringbone grey cashmere tie would exude thrills on this site? (See edmorel)...
(4) woven tend to be nicer than printed ties

Helpful list. Thanks.

Originally Posted by NORE
You should be shot for the first 3 you posted
What? I don't get a stay of execution on account of the second set I posted?

Originally Posted by NORE
I can post some of my ties if you'd like.
Please do, and annotate it, if possible. Pics are great; pics with information are even better.

Here's another question for everybody: Since sheen seems to be a recurring item on most people's "Don't" lists, does that make the blue tie on the far right in the second batch I posted a poor choice? I think it's beautiful, and so I'm trying to understand why sheen works with this tie in particular but not most others.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2nd one is the best one.....dump the other 2(first post)
the post of the 7 ties.....keep all...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why sheen works with this tie in particular but not most others.

Its a little too shiny. I have a similar shiny Brioni tie, but I rarely wear it because I think its too shiny. See :

a7b4d856.jpg

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
2nd one is the best one.....dump the other 2(first post)
the post of the 7 ties.....keep all...

Not very helpful without reasons.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Its a little too shiny. I have a similar shiny Brioni tie, but I rarely wear it because I think its too shiny. See :

a7b4d856.jpg

I think that tie looks great, especially against the bold pattern of your SC. I'm surprised you went with a shiny silk PS, though, instead of a linen one that might have balanced out the sheen of the tie.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's the second flight of ties. I like these just as much as the first batch, but I'm less certain about their SF Approval Rating. I plan to keep these ties no matter what is said about them here, but I believe a discussion of their merits and shortcomings may help me choose better ties in the future.

Which do you like, which do you dislike, and why?

Keepers.jpg

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Keep 1, 2 and possibly 6. Generally, simple is best however a rich paisley can look great IF combined well olddog style.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
keep 3 and 6...possibly 7. paisley is nice, but not those....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads