• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell a little about your search for this puppy. 1 1/2 years?

lefty

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Tell a little about your search for this puppy. 1 1/2 years?

lefty

Well, I didn't search for a total of 1.5 years. It took me several months to find a breeder I liked and who's focused on breeding for good temperament as well as solid health etc - and who I trusted to be doing the right things to prepare the puppies for a smooth transition to permanent home. I also was impressed with the prospective *****. I didn't get to see the stud dog (other than photos) but, again, was totally comfortable with the breeder's judgment on that score.

The breeder puts so much time and energy into the pups that she only does one litter per year at most (quality not quantity) - so it took some time for nature to catch up with my plans.

I edited my earlier post to include some photos of tri-color adults.

BP348

Reaction score
Congrats on the new puppy! That is one great looking pup!!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kinda want another dog.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Congrats on the new puppy! That is one great looking pup!!

Thanks - was totally worth the wait.

Helping my GF with a rescue Basenji mix in the meantime was good preparation.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Well, I didn't search for a total of 1.5 years. It took me several months to find a breeder I liked and who's focused on breeding for good temperament as well as solid health etc - and who I trusted to be doing the right things to prepare the puppies for a smooth transition to permanent home. I also was impressed with the prospective *****. I didn't get to see the stud dog (other than photos) but, again, was totally comfortable with the breeder's judgment on that score.

The breeder puts so much time and energy into the pups that she only does one litter per year at most (quality not quantity) - so it took some time for nature to catch up with my plans.

I edited my earlier post to include some photos of tri-color adults.

What is the proper temperament for a setter?

Those adults are nice looking dogs.

lefty

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
What is the proper temperament for a setter?

Those adults are nice looking dogs.

lefty

English setter breed standard says "Gentle, affectionate, friendly, without shyness, fear or viciousness."

The buzzword my breeder always uses is "sweetness" - but still ready to romp in the woods.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
English setter breed standard says "Gentle, affectionate, friendly, without shyness, fear or viciousness."

The buzzword my breeder always uses is "sweetness" - but still ready to romp in the woods.

Does your breeder have a web site? I have 5 dogs right now but a dog with those qualities and good for upland hunting is on my list of dogs I'd like to have a little later in life.

I was really considering a Brittany but I like the way those dogs look.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two dogs is like owning four dogs. Trust me.

lefty

What is three dogs like? (We have 3 but actually live with three, so I know what it's like) We're thinking about adding to our pack in the next few years, probably when the third dog moves out.

You wouldn't happen to know any reputable French Bulldog breeders on the East Coast (preferably mid-Atlantic) would you?

We already have one English bulldog so are well aware of the health problems inherent in the breed.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hard to find a good FB - too popular and fetch too much money. Best bet is a show breeder that pays some attention to health.

Here's a breeder in Ontario that upon a quicl look seems to be doing a few things right.

http://www.bullmarketfrogs.com/

lefty

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find a good FB - too popular and fetch too much money. Best bet is a show breeder that pays some attention to health.

Here's a breeder in Ontario that upon a quicl look seems to be doing a few things right.

lefty

It took us a long time to find our English for the same reason. We really lucked out - the breeder we found was passed to us through several waves of word-of-mouth, and they had gorgeous, healthy bulldogs. Absolutely the type of people you could tell cared about the dogs more than anything. They don't even advertise - no website, no ads in the paper, just do well enough through word of mouth and having people sign up for waiting lists.

How did you find that breeder in Ontario?

These are some breeders that my g/f has been communicating with.

http://www.stephlynshowdogs.com/id14.htm
http://www.sandyhookfrenchies.com/
http://www.jackintheboxfrenchies.com/

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

At one time I thought that a Frenchie might be a nice companion for my extreme old age (after this, certainly my last, Tosa goes), but I now think there are just too many health problems, they are frightfully expensive and they nowadays have such a "gay" image.

Any thoughts about the Boston Terrier as an alternative, lefty or others? I have the sense that they are a somewhat livelier, more high energy dog than the Frenchie. I know my mother's family had one back in the 1920s, when they were very popular, but that was a bit before I was around. Of course, they are liable to eye problems and have the problems of all short-muzzled dogs.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
It took us a long time to find our English for the same reason. We really lucked out - the breeder we found was passed to us through several waves of word-of-mouth, and they had gorgeous, healthy bulldogs. Absolutely the type of people you could tell cared about the dogs more than anything. They don't even advertise - no website, no ads in the paper, just do well enough through word of mouth and having people sign up for waiting lists.

How did you find that breeder in Ontario?

These are some breeders that my g/f has been communicating with.

http://www.stephlynshowdogs.com/id14.htm
http://www.sandyhookfrenchies.com/
http://www.jackintheboxfrenchies.com/

I just did a quick search. I think there may be less of a demand for Frenchies in ON and therefore they may not be as overbred as they are here in NYC. One of the most popular breeds in the city.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
At one time I thought that a Frenchie might be a nice companion for my extreme old age (after this, certainly my last, Tosa goes), but I now think there are just too many health problems, they are frightfully expensive and they nowadays have such a "gay" image.

Any thoughts about the Boston Terrier as an alternative, lefty or others? I have the sense that they are a somewhat livelier, more high energy dog than the Frenchie. I know my mother's family had one back in the 1920s, when they were very popular, but that was a bit before I was around. Of course, they are liable to eye problems and have the problems of all short-muzzled dogs.

BT has the same problems that all brachycephalic dogs suffer from. Staffy is a better choice, but you know that. Could you do a Bull Terrier? Might provide enough of a jaunty attitude for a cravat wearing owner. Of course, I always say Irish but no one seems to like them.

lefty

P. S. just arrived home after an afternoon of drinking and I'm pretty drunk so for the nest few hours I'm gonna give you guys the straight skinny about dogs.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BT has the same problems that all brachycephalic dogs suffer from. Staffy is a better choice, but you know that. Could you do a Bull Terrier? Might provide enough of a jaunty attitude for a cravat wearing owner. Of course, I always say Irish but no one seems to like them.

lefty

P. S. just arrived home after an afternoon of drinking and I'm pretty drunk so for the nest few hours I'm gonna give you guys the straight skinny about dogs.

Except if Cyrus has any kind of reasonable lifespan, even by Tosa standards, I'm likely to be in my mid to late 70s by then, and I am thinking that a very powerful, frisky medium-sized dog like a Staffie or a BT might prove a bit much, especially as a youngster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads