• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can leather be ethical?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I also think cows are one of the dumbest creatures on the planet who wouldn't last ten minutes without humans to protect them from wolves..

spanish-matador-israel-lancho-gored-pic-getty-935764200.jpg

Ya the bulls really need your help. Thank god for 10000 years of breeding docile cattle.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
See all the poop on its butt?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the real question is who is worse off. The bull or the guy wiping the bulls ass?

calvinloke

Reaction score
I have decided to use leather only from animals that die a natural death. 100% ethical and environmental friendly.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my leather comes from cows that died naturally. Once the head was removed it was natural that the lack of blood resulted in death.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
All my leather comes from cows that died naturally. Once the head was removed it was natural that the lack of blood resulted in death.

laugh.gif
deadhorse-a.gif

pnin22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
That we humans 'engineered' cows via domestic farming (i.e., they didn't exist before we created them via selective breeding, etc.) for human consumption, using the hides for boots/shoes and coats, etc. is not unethical. Indigenous cultures (aboriginals, native North Americans, etc.) have and continue to hunt for food, and wearing the skins since time immemorial, be it for clothing or adornment, thus using the whole animal. Provided the meat is eaten, it's not unethical.

While it is true that most indigenous peoples hunt animals for food/byproducts, an argument can be made that they simply have no choice in the matter. We, on the other hand, are fully capable of using synthetic or plant materials to replace all animal products. If we can build an A320 jet from structural composites, we can make veggie leather.

Furthermore, the point is that indigenous subsistence hunting is in no way comparable to industrial farming. Most red meat consumed in North America comes from cows pumped full of antibiotics, as otherwise they would die due to lack of proper nutrition and exercise.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Saw this nature show a while back.

A seal and her babies were hiding under the snow, trying not to be detected by the polar bear and her babies lurking around above them.

If the seal is discovered, she and her babies will be eaten.

If the seal isn't discovered, the polar bear and her babies will starve.

Life's a ***** that way.

At least we have the decency to kill the animals before we put them in our mouths.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can leather be ethical?
It's a nonsensical question. There's a rational disconnect somewhere there. All animals die. Some die young, some die old. Humans too. To deny the cycle of life or to so disassociate yourself from it...out of delicate sensibilities or an attempt to ascend to a level of self-righteousness that elicits universal admiration (not) and ten compliant virgins (maybe)...is to disdain what little harmony is yet available to modern man. It's a guarantee of alienation...but an alienation that is self-inflicted. And in the end, it only leads to self-delusion--such as convincing yourself that the deleterious effects of producing synthetic substitutes (mostly from petro-chemical precursors) for natural products is somehow less damaging to the environment or more ethical than accepting life as it is. We can use nature; partake of life as it comes to us...as it was meant to be. Or we can so twist reality that nothing we do or use is native or natural to this world...and everything we do is harmful to the environment, ourselves, and those who come after. The endangerment of the native shrimp fisheries in the Louisiana deltas is as much a result of our sanctimonious drive to create "clean," "antiseptic," conscious-soothing, replacements for products that are all around us in nature. A brave new world brought to you by Dow Chemical. Margarine...another example of misguided attempt to supplant nature. The result?--trans fats, saturated fats, and obesity--which we turn a blind eye to or redefine as normal. The credulous assert that modern man doesn't need to eat meat or wear leather...but that brave new world also is brought to you by the Dow Chemical companies of the world...or near-as-nevermind analogues. "Can leather be ethical?" It's pointless navel-gazing, in my opinion. It is, however, highly unethical to either use leather or eat meat if you have never participated in the killing and butchering of an animal. And best on a regular basis.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
It's a nonsensical question. There's a rational disconnect somewhere there.

All animals die. Some die young, some die old. Humans too. To deny the cycle of life or to so disassociate yourself from it...out of delicate sensibilities or an attempt to ascend to a level of self-righteousness that elicits universal admiration (not) and ten compliant virgins (maybe)...is to disdain what little harmony is yet available to modern man. It's a guarantee of alienation...but an alienation that is self-inflicted.

Damn, son. That's an extremely well-put series of thoughts. If I had a philosophy professor in college that capable and succinct I would have stayed to get my PhD.

Respek.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Damn, son. That's an extremely well-put series of thoughts. If I had a philosophy professor in college that capable and succinct I would have stayed to get my PhD. Respek.
blush.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leather is an inanimate object that is incapable of either ethical or unethical behaviour. Question is meaningless.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do paperbags have souls?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Do paperbags have souls?

Much hipster sleep has been lost pondering this very question. Williamsburg demands answers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads