• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imprecise machine pick-stitching.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I know that there are all sorts of arguments against machine pick stitching - it's coarse, inelegant, superfluous, etc. I understand all of that. But I have a separate question:

Have any of you noticed that pick stitching machines often transition improperly from the lapel roll to the quarters? The result is that, at the 1-2" of transition between lapel and quarter, the pick stitch sometimes winds-up upside down for a short stretch, with the underside exposed in places that the top should be.

Anyone else noticed this? As happy as I remain with the MTM garments that I've had made at English American Co., this is one of the little things that irritates me.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this happen. Means the lapel isn't rolling like intended (at least IMO) which then points to a non-canvas lapel.

Moral: avoid cheap suits.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the suits in question for me are pretty well made, as others can attest. Certainly no Oxxford or Kiton build quality, but on par with Hickey Freeman, Samuelsohn, etc. They don't have any fusing in them at all.

My thought is that its simply very difficult for the machine to "read" the transition from lapel to quarter, especially on a full canvas garment where the roll is smooth and flowing.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I've had this happen. Means the lapel isn't rolling like intended (at least IMO) which then points to a non-canvas lapel.

Moral: avoid cheap suits.

EA is fully canvassed. What I don't like about mine is that the lapels have a crease ironed in them which detracts from the roll. I didn't opt for pick stitching.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
EA is fully canvassed. What I don't like about mine is that the lapels have a crease ironed in them which detracts from the roll. I didn't opt for pick stitching.

I've had the lapels come both ways. You can always have a presser correct this if you don't like it.

BTW, are you pleased with the gamrent otherwise?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Actually, the suits in question for me are pretty well made, as others can attest. Certainly no Oxxford or Kiton build quality, but on par with Hickey Freeman, Samuelsohn, etc. They don't have any fusing in them at all.

My thought is that its simply very difficult for the machine to "read" the transition from lapel to quarter, especially on a full canvas garment where the roll is smooth and flowing.

What brand?

You can reset your lapel roll by completely pressing it out (removing the crease and letting it roll naturally, YMMV).

--Jonas--

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
What brand?

English American Co
teacha.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the lapels come both ways. You can always have a presser correct this if you don't like it.

BTW, are you pleased with the gamrent otherwise?

I am very pleased with the fit and quality for the price and will be back for more. Thanks for all your help on this. BTW, do you know their pricing for the H&S Savile Row line fabrics?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased with the fit and quality for the price and will be back for more. Thanks for all your help on this. BTW, do you know their pricing for the H&S Savile Row line fabrics?

I'm not familiar with a H&S book named "Savile Row" but I do have a few EA garments made from various H&S goods. The blazer I have made of Crispaire was about $650, and the suits made from some plain worsteds (don't know the book, but very nice 2x 120s quality stuff) were close to $1000 for a coat and one trouser.

These prices, of course, are for garments ordered directly from the EA factory. Expect considerable mark-up going through any of their distribution channels. But I think you're a local, correct, KObalto? Is that the "balto" bit in your handle? Tell Elio I said hello!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with a H&S book named "Savile Row" but I do have a few EA garments made from various H&S goods. The blazer I have made of Crispaire was about $650, and the suits made from some plain worsteds (don't know the book, but very nice 2x 120s quality stuff) were close to $1000 for a coat and one trouser.

These prices, of course, are for garments ordered directly from the EA factory. Expect considerable mark-up going through any of their distribution channels. But I think you're a local, correct, KObalto? Is that the "balto" bit in your handle? Tell Elio I said hello!

Right you are and Elio is a pleasure. I mentioned you when he measured me.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the machine operators are paid on a piece work basis. if they work fast they get paid well.
nuff said?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall you were planning to go to Fields in Georgetown. Did you have success? Any pics if so.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
I recall you were planning to go to Fields in Georgetown. Did you have success? Any pics if so.

Not yet. I think I'm close to the point where I could justify the price if I were to get 1) only one item, such as an odd jacket, and 2) something SUPER utilitarian. So I've basically decided that a navy blazer from Field is in my not-TOO-distant future.

Problem is, I don't want to wind up in a position where I am so in love with the Field garment's fit, that all of my other clothing becomes seemingly sub-par. This is a very legitimate concern b/c I couldn't afford to build an entire wardrobe from Field.

Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
E/A has an actual hand stitched edge for an extra charge

Didn't know this, but I'm going to inquire next time...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
the machine operators are paid on a piece work basis. if they work fast they get paid well.
nuff said?

Yes.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics