• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Nice one Jason, the first one, Agro, Agro. According to Chris Lane is the correct spelling, and not Aggro. It's the first time I've seen it actually spelled like that though. Here's some more, unfortunately it's harder to read: (Curious about the first one, Greaser turned Skinhead? Joining the winning team or what
biggrin.gif
)
lfc13903795bfe586ab5e96.jpg
l52c481bbd18b86985de7e3.jpg
ldf8fa6eb05735a9fdcf2ef.jpg
l6305e5e94d91f3dbf6f899.jpg
lf118a718b1e79e1779a639.jpg
la567a2cb3676ea0e4f05e7.jpg
rh72us.jpg
179wfr.jpg

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score
Going to take me awhile to read through these newspaper articles, but I did come across the old subject of color coded laces in the previous page. I used to get alot of crap from punk types about colored laces. I often wear my boots with white or red because frankly they look good with wathever color sweater or shirt I happen to be wearing at the time. To me its just a fashion style. Once this 'anacho-punk' girl of about 15 decides to lecture me on what red and white laces meant. Having worn boots longer than she's been alive just had to roll my eyes and walk away tired of explaining to people that I personally could give a rat's a$$ about the color coding bull$**** drama .

Anyone else feel the same way?

loempiavreter

Reaction score
The laces in my boots don't stand out, they match the colour of the boots. I prefer it that way.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
since I first got into skinhead thru Oi, and not reggae, I've always had a preference for white laces. All of my friends who were skins before me in the 80s had white or yellow laces so I've leaned towards that. But self color is definitely more 60s old school

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
since I first got into skinhead thru Oi, and not reggae, I've always had a preference for white laces. All of my friends who were skins before me in the 80s had white or yellow laces so I've leaned towards that. But self color is definitely more 60s old school

The same here. I think most 80s and 90s era kids that became skins got into it through Oi and from there they just gradually drift towards the more traditional reggae ska and soul. I knew a skin in high school who wore rasta colored laces with his docs.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce
Going to take me awhile to read through these newspaper articles, but I did come across the old subject of color coded laces in the previous page. I used to get alot of crap from punk types about colored laces. I often wear my boots with white or red because frankly they look good with wathever color sweater or shirt I happen to be wearing at the time. To me its just a fashion style. Once this 'anacho-punk' girl of about 15 decides to lecture me on what red and white laces meant. Having worn boots longer than she's been alive just had to roll my eyes and walk away tired of explaining to people that I personally could give a rat's a$$ about the color coding bull$**** drama .

Anyone else feel the same way?

I remember having an argument with a similar type of girl not only about laces, but also about spiderweb elbow tattoos. Apparently they mean you committed a hate crime...
facepalm.gif

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
Nice articles, it would be good to know the year of newspaper release.

The ones I posted, I don't really know, mentioned on some, but it's all from the first generation though.

For the ones Jason posted (in the exact same following):

3 September 1969

31 March 1970

1 April 1970

25 May 1970

26 May 1970

1 September 1970

15 December 1970

22 December 1970

21 June 1971

9 August 1971

21 August 1971

31 August 1971

14 November 1980

15 November 1980

21 April 1981

22 July 1981

22 April 1982

14 August 1982

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I remember having an argument with a similar type of girl not only about laces, but also about spiderweb elbow tattoos. Apparently they mean you committed a hate crime...
facepalm.gif

Yes I've heard that one too. Also red laces apparently means you've 'killed' somebody in a hate crime. :O

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by C3PLOS
What the heck? Why do I have more luck finding skinhead photos than I do finding (non-Brighton Beach) Mod photos!

if you're on facebook check out this group called Original Modernists 1959-1966

probably the best collection of mod photos in one place on the net. No "targets" or any of that other cliche nonsense.

C3PLOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
if you're on facebook check out this group called Original Modernists 1959-1966

probably the best collection of mod photos in one place on the net. No "targets" or any of that other cliche nonsense.

This one sounds familiar, but not sure if I'm on it. I'll have to check when I get home. And thank you... I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought targets were cliche!

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
facepalm.gif

I always have been told that the spider web tattoo(usually on the elbow) was an old school prison tatt(ex: Each ring represents the years you're doing/you've done behind bars and the shaded cobwebs are a symbol of growing old behind bars).
Probably the most marsupialed thing I've ever heard in association with skinheads is about this Fred Perry Polo:
FredPerrypolowithred_white_trimtipped.jpg
[/IMG]
Apparently, the colors of this polo are a "hidden code" to symbolize Nazism(Red, White & Black, referring to the Nazi Germany Flag...)

Southlondongent

Reaction score
...Fred will be spinning in his grave.
confused.gif

Oh, and C3PLOS....you're not
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads