• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrpoizun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivar
In all seriousness, though: why is it that the sleeves are supposed to be that long? I can understand it when the jacket has ribbed cuffs, with the cuffs functioning as some kind of ersatz gloves, but on jackets such as the one Pitt is wearing above, elongated sleeves just make it look like the fit is off.
None of you have ever seen a motorcycle jacket before? The sleeves are long so they don't ride half-way up to your elbows when you reach for the handlebars.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpoizun
None of you have ever seen a motorcycle jacket before? The sleeves are long so they don't ride half-way up to your elbows when you reach for the handlebars.
pretty sure pitt doesn't go riding in his ccp jacket
plain.gif

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i dont know where you live, but if you live in a somewhat big city, all the thrift stores have tons of them for dirt cheap. i would look there first.

which thrift store in NYC has it ? o_O

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
plain.gif

+1

I don't know where people get the idea that everyone with a leather jacket also rides a motorcycle. Or that designers make leather jackets to protect us from motorcycle accidents.

modalsaliency

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
+1 I don't know where people get the idea that everyone with a leather jacket also rides a motorcycle. Or that designers make leather jackets to protect us from motorcycle accidents.
This is reasonable to some degree, but I think sticking your head in the sand and proclaiming that all the functional inspirations that segue into ornamental clothing could be done away with is rather silly. Epaulets were originally fastenings for indications of rank, and the tapered/cropped body of DRs was originally made for curving around the gas tank. Yet if you tried to make a military jacket or DR without those things today you'd be laughed out of the room. They are identity markers. I can't ride in half of the jackets I own, either because of too much expense or too little protection, but I still feel naked in a jacket with short sleeves. Clothing can bear the weight of history, and should.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
plain.gif

ah but he does
teacha.gif

coco2010

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen/felt Paul Smith leather jackets? Are his jackets as good as his shoes?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad this thread is mostly links to new jackets. Wish there were more pics of incredible used jackets, all worn in and loved up and patinated. Feels like a high end shopping mall here.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
try aaac

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, there isn't much there either in terms of used leather jacket Appreciation.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some sites like that out there, with webcams and what not. But I think you have to pay to join.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads