• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Thanks. It's my go-to shoe and the cxl just looks awesome. I was thinking maybe I can justify keeping both if I have one of them resoled with the commando, since I have no real need for two shoes with that neoprene sole. Not a huge fan of that sole. In addition to the 405s and my as-yet unworn 403s (as they're marked for JCrew, 40510s), I have Indy boots in whiskey, #8 and black shell, as well as tobacco reverse chamois...and a pair of cigar on order. I am probably overthinking this.

Hmm, some one with an equally as unhealthy Indy interest as me.
smile.gif

I've also go them in whiskey, #8, and black shell plus snuff suede in addition to the 405s and brown cxl.

At this point, you may as well get the brown cxl and try to do the entire set.
Better get the natural too.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Hmm, some one with an equally as unhealthy Indy interest as me.
smile.gif

I've also go them in whiskey, #8, and black shell plus snuff suede in addition to the 405s and brown cxl.

At this point, you may as well get the brown cxl and try to do the entire set.
Better get the natural too.

If you're going for the whole set you gotta get the chocolate brown suede next week and the new one due around Summer...
laugh.gif

phantomx48

Reaction score
Can I get some advice. . .what would be the best Alden leather color to go with gray slacks (shell, calf, etc.)??

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Can I get some advice. . .what would be the best Alden leather color to go with gray slacks (shell, calf, etc.)??

I like #8 shell or burgundy calf myself.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
I like #8 shell or burgundy calf myself.
Thanks Tom! That is what I was leaning towards, just hoping I wasn't missing anything (black calf/shell can be boring sometimes).

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going for the whole set you gotta get the chocolate brown suede next week and the new one due around Summer...
laugh.gif

Hope you got some new shell coming!

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Depending on your definition of "nice", I would question your preferred choice of leather. Chromexcel leather is not a typical dress leather; rather it's supposed to be worn with minimal maintenance and treatment for a more rugged look. Chromexcel is also pretty thick so it's not very pliable. I'm not sure how well it would take a polish either.

If you're looking for a black PTB for a casual shoe, calfskin is probably the most obvious choice. For a dressier shoe, cordovan is more appropriate. It's probably easier to dress down the cordovan than to dress up with the calfskin.

I agree with your first paragraph and totally disagree with the notion that cordovan leather is "more appropriate" for a dress shoe. Quite the opposite IMHO. Maybe you meant to say the opposite?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 100 yrs
anyone have any ideas as to the cause of heel pain experienced when wearing indy boots? would it imply the boots are too small or too big, or could it be the way i walk? i'm not talking about blistering caused by rubbing - it would best be described as a bruise. the boots don't slip when i walk, and fit relatively well in the toe area (could maybe be a smidge bigger). i am wearing wool socks. it's only happening in my left foot, and it's the back of the heel (i'm quite satisfied with fit of the right boot). i can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. this is my second pair of indy's (went from 8.5 -> 9) and i am quite frustrated with sizing.

as i mostly wear desert boots, which are very unstructured, i figured there'd be some adjustment period for my feet going to the fairly rigid indy's, but i've probably worn them a dozen times or so which should be sufficient.

i read how comfy everyone says their indy's are. i dunno, maybe these just aren't for me, as much as i love the looks.

Originally Posted by lambchop
I've been having this exact same problem except on my right foot. It's a hard bruising feeling. I think it's from the heel being too tight. I tried not lacing it all the way up on that side but it didn't help. I'm also noticing that my little toe is starting to rub on that foot as well. I've decided that I ended up sizing a half size small. It's frustrating because I spent a good amount of time trying them on and making sure I had the right size. Even worse is that I bought cordovan indys after thinking I had my size all dialed in. I'm probably going to end up posting everything in B&S. I'm a 9.5D and thinking a 10D is what I need. The fact that you went up a size and it didn't work is not encouraging though. After all this, I measured a brannock device as 10.5D so I guess I've just been buying most of my shoes too snug. You might want to try an E size which would have a bigger heel cup and might fit better. Good luck.
warning.gif
warning.gif
warning.gif

I apologize. I meant to respond to this earlier.

Is this a pain when wearing the boots? Is it a pain that is more severe in the morning and lessens as the day goes on? Does it feel like bruising on the bottom of the foot?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Depending on your definition of "nice", I would question your preferred choice of leather. Chromexcel leather is not a typical dress leather; rather it's supposed to be worn with minimal maintenance and treatment for a more rugged look. Chromexcel is also pretty thick so it's not very pliable. I'm not sure how well it would take a polish either.

If you're looking for a black PTB for a casual shoe, calfskin is probably the most obvious choice. For a dressier shoe, cordovan is more appropriate. It's probably easier to dress down the cordovan than to dress up with the calfskin.

Both are standard models produced by Alden:

My opinion is that the cordovan is worth the extra $160.

I have carefully polished my Ultimate Indy's to no ill effect. I have used both wax and cream mostly to cover up scuffs. The only reason I have been careful is to maintain the contrast stiching. I have had positive results.

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I agree with your first paragraph and totally disagree with the notion that cordovan leather is "more appropriate" for a dress shoe. Quite the opposite IMHO. Maybe you meant to say the opposite?

I agree. Calf is at least as dressy as cordovan if not more so. Just look at the shoe Appreciation thread in the Men's Clothing forum to see for yourself. I love cordovan but have shoes in both calf and cordovan and the calf shoes shine up at least as nice if not better. Both leathers have their uses.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab

I agree. Calf is at least as dressy as cordovan if not more so. Just look at the shoe Appreciation thread in the Men's Clothing forum to see for yourself. I love cordovan but have shoes in both calf and cordovan and the calf shoes shine up at least as nice if not better. Both leathers have their uses.

although I agree with your general conclusion, the reason you see much more calf than cordovan in that thread isn't 100% b/c it's more dressy, it's b/c a lot of shoemakers just don't work with it.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
although I agree with your general conclusion, the reason you see much more calf than cordovan in that thread isn't 100% b/c it's more dressy, it's b/c a lot of shoemakers just don't work with it.
That does not make the shoes in calf any less elegant. That does not mean that a lot of the sleaker shoes would look as good in cordovan. If cordovan was the dressier leather I am sure there would be more high end shoemakers working with it.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster here in the Alden thread. What a great resource this has been.

This year I finally started my collection, which I have been wanting to do since 1995 when I used to pass the Alden Shop on Madison Ave in NYC and drool. I've added the Alden x J Crew long wing in tobacco, the Alden X J Crew Indy, and the Cordovan #8 Tanker from Context.

I hurt my ankle earlier this fall and I've found that boots give me the support I really need.

So I'm looking to add a Wingtip boot...I love the look of all eyelets and no speed hooks, but it seems like that style is harder to find.

What's the thought on Scotch Grain calfskin ? Suitable for both dress and casual wear? How does it wear & age?

100 yrs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
warning.gif
warning.gif
warning.gif

I apologize. I meant to respond to this earlier.

Is this a pain when wearing the boots? Is it a pain that is more severe in the morning and lessens as the day goes on? Does it feel like bruising on the bottom of the foot?

not in my case, it's a pain that shows up later in the day and it's on the upper portion of the heel bone (quick google search tells me this is the calcaneous?) right were the boot's rigid heel cup meet the more flexible upper leather. i work in downtown seattle which is relatively hilly in spots, so i attribute it to walking up hills and just having the boot put a lot of pressure one the heel.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
laugh.gif

Tom, you are an evil, evil man.
devil.gif

A suede indy? That does sound outstanding, but probably wouldn't work for the slushy east coast winter. Perhaps I should pick them up to wear in the spring though...

Too many Indy boots, not enough $! Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads