• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
In an earlier post Rambo asked if anybody on this board was of a "normal size. I had wondered the same thing. Here is a "normal" size 42R in a WWII issue peacoat.

WWIIPeacoat006_edited-1.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my J. Crew peacoat (with Thinsulate) nearly every day over the past few months and lately, with temps in the single digits, it has kept me much warmer than I thought that it would. I haven't had to break out the parka yet. I'm glad that I got the J. Crew and returned the Sterlingwear which felt a little lightweight to me.

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Looks really good, what measurements do you have?

38-39 chest, 32/33 sleeve, about 5'9"

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I've been wearing my J. Crew peacoat (with Thinsulate) nearly every day over the past few months and lately, with temps in the single digits, it has kept me much warmer than I thought that it would. I haven't had to break out the parka yet. I'm glad that I got the J. Crew and returned the Sterlingwear which felt a little lightweight to me.

I agree, I have the same J. Crew peacoat and it is really warm.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
I agree, I have the same J. Crew peacoat and it is really warm.

Coming from someone who is from Michigan, which is practically Canada, and Toronto, that coat must be REALLY ******* warm.

Zaarin

Reaction score
Anyone having difficulty with exchanging peacoats from Sterlingwear? It's been over a month since they said my coat was reshipped. No response from email and they just put me on hold whenever I call.

dasai

Reaction score
Looking at these pictures, I'm reminded that I have an unusually short torso and arms for my height (5'9"). I have an early-1950s U.S. Navy peacoat that fits well enough, but it's a 38R and I'm a 37S, so it goes over an inch past both my wrists and my crotch. I've never seen a "short" length from this time period, and a similar-vintage 36R had the same problems with the added issue of being too tight in the waist.

How do other people deal with these things?

Epik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zaarin
Anyone having difficulty with exchanging peacoats from Sterlingwear? It's been over a month since they said my coat was reshipped. No response from email and they just put me on hold whenever I call.
Hmm, let us know how this turns out. I've been looking for a pea coat, myself. The Tyrwhitt coat is interesting and for 145 it seemed a deal but the U.S. site has it for $329.

bombers

Reaction score
Peacoat posted a site with metal buttons a few pages back.

ellismc

Reaction score
Hello all, First post here. I've been browsing this thread and the overwhelming recommendation seems to be Sterlingwear. However, I'm a little concerned about the customer service issues I've heard about and their website does not inspire a lot of confidence. I'm wondering if others could comment on any experiences with Schott NYC? I actually like the look of that coat a little better, particularly the lapels. Just curious why it's not discussed more here and if there's anything I should know about it. Here's the link: http://www.schottnyc.com/products/me...elton-wool.htm

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schott's Peacoats are just as good if not better than a lot of others out there. I prefer Schott's Pea over Sterlingwear's. Do it.

Woodyear

Reaction score
Sterlingwears customer service is awesome and so is their peacoat. I exchanged my coat and the replacement was shipped fast and the experience was easy. I was handled personally by one person, Michelle to be exact, and she was delightful.

ataru

Reaction score
Be careful with sizing on the Schott peacoat. I sized down from my normal 40 to 38 and it actually feels more like I sized up compared to my other clothes. The picture on the Schott site is pretty accurate for how it would look at your normal size, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics