• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like the avatar.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God bless you Manton! You will be missed, though I really hope you come back.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This forum seems to be completely succumbing to the spirit of "Serious business!!", which really is just a license to behave as crassly and cruelly as possible. Everything is fair game and if you object, you are the one who has a problem.

I disagree with this notion. I've been posting for over four years (holy ****) and I dont think there has been a continuous decline in civility. Rather, I think the trend is that of ups and downs. I can think of several posters and incidents that have riled up the forum in the past (Vanity, biggest douche, FNB, etc) and each time things eventually returned back to "normal". I don't think there is any reason to expect anything different this time around.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
And finally, the widespread sentiment--reiterated above by redcaimen--that the ignore function solves all. That there's nothing wrong with the underlying behavior. The problem resides with the little sissy who objects.

I have never expressed the sentiment that there is nothing wrong with the underlying behavior. I think there is. I am pointing out that for all but the most brittle and controling of sensibilities this very real problem has a surprisingly easy fix.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I have never expressed the sentiment that there is nothing wrong with the underlying behavior. I think there is. I am pointing out that for all but the most brittle and controling of sensibilities this very real problem has a surprisingly easy fix.

rolleyes.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I don't know why I just remembered this, but I just had a flashback to when Nick M animated your Machiavelli avatar. Very very funny.

OK, as you were.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quasi-regret reading up on the past week of this thread.

Anyway, I agree with Manton here, and also think MS adds no value to this forum. And for what it is worth, I don't like that crappy "you mentioned your daughter" defense of MS.

I hope Manton will continue to participate if he wishes, but very much understand if he doesn't, having personally cut back my involvement on this forum as well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I hope we can figure out a solution to this, because I see a fair number of valued posters dissatisfied with the situation. I'm hoping we can keep the community together until we have the new B&S in place, because it should alleviate a great deal of stress and time-wasting from me and the mods, which time we can then use to hang out here and do a little more "gentle nudging" toward civility like we used to. For me (and the other mods) the problem is that I spend a good 45 minutes a day going through reported posts, spam, user complaints and requests, etc., -- which I don't mind, I am not complaining -- but by the time I am done I am often too tired to just hang out and chat like I used to. I feel like I am losing touch with the people here and I don't want that to happen. It's also hard to have enough time and energy to get a handle on the more grey-area disputes and deal with them.

It's going to be a little rough period beginning of next year while we iron out the new system and get it to our liking, and I am seriously considering deputizing a couple more respected members to help with obvious spam and "community based policing" so that we are not overwhelmed and lose all touch with reality and the wishes of the community.

The knowledgeable members here are our greatest resource, and I don't want them to feel driven or repulsed away by lack of action, while at the same time we have to keep the spirit of semi-laissez-faire moderation alive. Hands off, but not anything goes.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I appreciate reading the discussion.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I am seriously considering deputizing a couple more respected members to help with obvious spam and "community based policing" so that we are not overwhelmed and lose all touch with reality and the wishes of the community.

Short list?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
you may have to dick around with the settings before you allow the Citizens On Patrol thing (just like Police Academy 4 woohoo). I was initially promoted as an overnight spambuster, but found out that spambusting comes with Squirrel access at the current settings, which you may not want people running around with.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
For me (and the other mods) the problem is that I spend a good 45 minutes a day going through reported posts, spam, user complaints and requests, etc., -- which I don't mind, I am not complaining -- but by the time I am done I am often too tired to just hang out and chat like I used to. I feel like I am losing touch with the people here and I don't want that to happen.

yeah.. no time to mingle with your peeps.
plain.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
yeah.. no time to mingle with your peeps.
plain.gif

Blame the bumpers and the spammers.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Quasi-regret reading up on the past week of this thread.

Anyway, I agree with Manton here, and also think MS adds no value to this forum. And for what it is worth, I don't like that crappy "you mentioned your daughter" defense of MS.

I hope Manton will continue to participate if he wishes, but very much understand if he doesn't, having personally cut back my involvement on this forum as well.

if you banned people based on addition of value to forum you would have to ban the majority of ppl here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads