• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best bespoke shirts

Poincare

Reaction score
I've bought Charvet ready-to-wear for quite a while now and have on occasion passed through the hallowed third floor of their place vendome shop..

My question is simple. Who makes the best bespoke shirts?

Turnbull & Asser spring to mind from the Jermyn St. contingent. As for the Italians, am I right in thinking that Brioni, Borelli et al. are more made-to-measure than bespoke?

Anyway, thoughts please.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry to highjack but i had wondered the same, also any opinions/experience on ascog chang bespoke ?

also asking what is the best is a dangerous question here hierarcy is a better way of posing the question

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Charvet OTR I'm sure you'll love the MTM or bespoke program.

If you go the Italian route I'd pick Finamore since these fora seem to have nice reviews and the pics are great.

The prices for the above i'm sure are $400 and above.

I use Ascot Chang and am very pleased. Supposedly, they make the bespoke shirts for Brioni.

The best is subjective.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Bespoke shirts vary in quality? Is that the PoincarÃ
00a9.png
conjecture? (Heh. Just a little science joke there.)

Anyway, I agree. I've used several bespoke shirtmakers and have found the quality to vary widely, sometimes in surprising ways. For example, I've had T&A shirts not hold up well, but shirts from a small shirtmaker who operates out of his Manhattan apartment last considerably longer. This may have to do with the kind of fabric chosen, because both were made well.

Sadly, all but a few are worn to hell now. Time to order a few swatches.

Poincare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
If you like Charvet OTR I'm sure you'll love the MTM or bespoke program.

If you go the Italian route I'd pick Finamore since these fora seem to have nice reviews and the pics are great.

The prices for the above i'm sure are $400 and above.

I use Ascot Chang and am very pleased. Supposedly, they make the bespoke shirts for Brioni.

The best is subjective.

Thats very interesting to know. I've been told that I should expect to pay between $750-1200 for Charvet bespoke which now seems a little over the odds. Having said that, place vendôme is very convenient for me to get to and I have been very impressed with the pattern matching and stitching consistency on my OTR shirts.

Will certainly look into Finamore and Ascot Chang. Obviously I've heard of Brioni but I find their brand a little hard to grasp. Are they essentially high-end mass market?

I agree there is a good deal of subjectivity involved but usually there is some convergence to a consensus.

Originally Posted by Sazerac
Bespoke shirts vary in quality? Is that the PoincarÃ
00a9.png
conjecture? (Heh. Just a little science joke there.)

Anyway, I agree. I've used several bespoke shirtmakers and have found the quality to vary widely, sometimes in surprising ways. For example, I've had T&A shirts not hold up well, but shirts from a small shirtmaker who operates out of his Manhattan apartment last considerably longer. This may have to do with the kind of fabric chosen, because both were made well.

Sadly, all but a few are worn to hell now. Time to order a few swatches.

haha good one! For extra science points, spot the Bayesian conditionalization reference in my above reply.

Suprised that T&A aren't all that. I'm guessing that Jermyn St. is not what it used to be. I know they are principally robemakers but I heard Ede & Ravenscroft also do bespoke shirts? Not sure if anyone has experience of them or even if that is true.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I've been impressed with the T&A wares, it's just that they lasted maybe four or five years of regular use whereas those of my Manhattan shirtmaker lasted seven or eight. Again, it may be the fabrics that are to blame, not the quality of manufacture.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plebes dont deserve the recognition of proper spelling

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads