• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine Ties Uncovered

Matt S

Reaction score
I just posted this on AAAC and though the people at Style Forum would be interested as well. Have you wondered what the weave of a grenadine tie looks like up close? I thought it would be cool to examine different weaves through a microscope to see my favourite cloths up close. Grenadine weaves are for more complex than anything else we might wear. As many of you know there are two types of grenadine ties, the garza grossa and garza fine as I learned from David Hober. Hober uses the garza grossa for his grenadine ties. I couldn't take pictures of the weaves but I've translated them into two illustrations. The complexity of the weave may explain why grenadine ties are so expensive. Garza Grossa
samhoberburgundy.jpg
The example above is from Sam Hober. The weave is illustrated below:
garzagrossa.png
Other brands that sell this tie include, but are not limited to, Brioni, Charles Tyrwhitt, Domenico Spano, Drakes, Harvie & Hudson, Jay Kos, Kent Wang, Lawrence of Warwick, Marinella, Mountain & Sackett, New & Lingwood, and Turnbull & Asser. Brooks Brothers, T. M. Lewin, Sulka, Ben Silver, Paul Stuart, and Robert Talbott all used to sell garza grossa grenadine ties, and the last three currently sell a type of mock grenadine instead. Garza Fina
paulstuartbrowngrenadin.jpg
The example above is from Paul Stuart (no longer offered). The weave is illustrated below:
garzafina.png
Brands that sell this tie include Brioni, J. Press, Maus & Hoffman, Oxxford, Udeshi, Valentino, and Winston Tailors. Charles Tyrwhitt, Drakes, Polo Ralph Lauren and Ralph Lauren Black Label used to but no longer offer this garza fina. After seeing these complex weaves up close there should be no mistaking them for knit ties.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like the finer weaver grenadine. I don't think I've ever seen that.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker

+1. I do like this. I wonder if Sam Hober can source.

changy

Reaction score
informative thread. Thanks!

I was at the Bloomingdales on Lexington earlier and asked the Turnbull and Asser associate if they had any striped grenandine. The guy pointed me to some knit ties.
ffffuuuu.gif

Coburn

Reaction score
Great post! Very informative.

Thank you for the extra effort.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrific thread - keen to see how this develops.
thumbs-up.gif
thumbs-up.gif

lurker[1].gif

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which pattern is this one?
grenadinepattern.jpg
i'm getting cross eyed trying to figure it out... it's like those magic eye paintings O_O

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn
Great post! Very informative.

Thank you for the extra effort.

+1 Thanks

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I prefer the larger weave, as its texture is more clearly seen. I used to sell the finer one, but now I only sell the garza grossa. An interesting factoid: the Italians call grenadine English gauze. This was discussed a bit in the grenadine etymology thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads