• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baroni (Wizard of Ahhs) - Suit Review

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Why do people think that this Wizard of Aahs guy is producing/selling this exclusively? I know a retail store that sells/has sold the Baroni and Danielle stuff. Assuming it's the same stuff I've seen, it is a great value.

I can only rquote myself and directly ask this of JeffT

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Exactly.... it is a $300.00 suit no more no less... it is not a Corneliani, not even close. I would compare it to Jos Banks Platinum suit... same deal, marked $1,200 sells for $300.00, hell probably made in the same plant. I wonder how many would sell if marked $295.00 without a false and misleading starting price?

On another note about false advertising: has anyone seen the Men's Wearhouse ads that say they have a "Master-Tailor" in every store?... Now THAT is false advertising.

I have not seen that ad, but I can tell you whoever did the alterations to the last two suits I purchased at Men's Wearhouse, judging from the way they turned out, was not a Master-Tailor. And don't judge me for purchasing two suits from MW; this was pre-SF, AND they were offering 2 for the price of 1!!! How could I pass that up?!

oaw01

Reaction score
I bought a M Valentino and it's still in the closet unaltered. I'd say it's better than a Hugo Boss but it's far from being a RLBL

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
I bought a M Valentino and it's still in the closet unaltered. I'd say it's better than a Hugo Boss but it's far from being a RLBL

What would you compare it to? A department store brand such as Hickey, Austin Reed or the like?

oaw01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imwithtuxedo
What would you compare it to? A department store brand such as Hickey, Austin Reed or the like?

I'd say stuff like Dolce Gabbana and Armani Collezioni quality which isn't saying much but those **** suits go for above 1k.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GIXXER126
Hi Everyone,

I'm a brand new member, virgin poster, and I found this site while searching for information on quality dress shirts. I am an investment banker in Saskatchewan, Canada and have a really nice selection of quality suits. About 2 months ago a friend in Calgary who is a real estate Lawyer was wearing a very nice jet black suit that I complimented on. Ends up it was from the Wizard. Given my friends appetite for expensive suits and his satisfaction for the Wizards suit I bought 2....one charcoal and one liquid brown.

I can't find the link for the charcoal, but here's the one for liquid brown.
http://cgi.ebay.com/M-VALENTINO-DESI...item1c0633bbb6

The pricepoint of these suits is awesome! I have two Hugo Boss suits that I paid ~$995 for and in my opinion these suits are just as nice and I actually get more compliments on the Wizard suits than any other. I'm a big Wizard fan!

For the price you can't go wrong...oh, and I'm a 42T trim and teh suit was almost perfect out of the box. Just had to get the pants hemmed and a bit in the waist, but otherwise was great!

If you want some pictures I can post, but the pics the Wizard puts up are just as good.

On a side note, does anyone know of a good place for super high quality dress shirts, french cuff, but at reasonable prices??? Basically is there a Wizard of Aahs for the shirt world?

Funny 1st post
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Diavolo

Reaction score
I don't own any Baroni suits but they are definitely made by Corneliani. I know this for a fact and I don't care whether you believe it or not.
Of course they are not true Cornelianis - that's why they're much cheaper (why is this so hard to grasp) but they are canvassed and the fabrics are better for the price than comperable brands.
If you have $300 for a suit they are a good buy. If you want high armholes, working cuffs, a neopolitan cut and buttoned pants fly go and spend $5000 on an Attolini.
It's a pretty simple equation.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
I don't own any Baroni suits but they are definitely made by Corneliani. I know this for a fact and I don't care whether you believe it or not.
Of course they are not true Cornelianis - that's why they're much cheaper (why is this so hard to grasp) but they are canvassed and the fabrics are better for the price than comperable brands.
If you have $300 for a suit they are a good buy. If you want high armholes, working cuffs, a neopolitan cut and buttoned pants fly go and spend $5000 on an Attolini.
It's a pretty simple equation.

I have an account with Baroni (and Corneliani and know Herb Tucker and Maurizio). Baroni is not made by Corneliani. It is made in a Chinese factory that Corneliani has some ownership in, a BIG difference.
The only Baroni garments I will sell are the solid color ones because the stripes and plaids have terrible pattern matching, even for a $300.00 suit or a $175.00 Jacket. The "Super 150s" fabrics are not Italian, they are Chinese and I am still skeptical regarding that country's "truth in labeling" laws.
The Baroni coats are half canvas.

I think the main focus here is why do sellers have to lie and call a $300.00 suit a $1,200.00 suit to sell it?

As for for Neapolitan cut, high armholes, surgeon cuffs and button fly pants, I can do it myself (depending on the fabric) for $600.00 to $6,000.00.

Diavolo

Reaction score
I have an account with Baroni (and Corneliani and know Herb Tucker and Maurizio). Baroni is not made by Corneliani. It is made in a Chinese factory that Corneliani has some ownership in, a BIG difference.
The only Baroni garments I will sell are the solid color ones because the stripes and plaids have terrible pattern matching, even for a $300.00 suit or a $175.00 Jacket. The "Super 150s" fabrics are not Italian, they are Chinese and I am still skeptical regarding that country's "truth in labeling" laws.
The Baroni coats are half canvas.

I think the main focus here is why do sellers have to lie and call a $300.00 suit a $1,200.00 suit to sell it?

As for for Neapolitan cut, high armholes, surgeon cuffs and button fly pants, I can do it myself (depending on the fabric) for $600.00 to $6,000.00.

You're right about all of this but my only point was Corneliani does have some input, which is more than Men's Warehouse, JAB etc can claim.
I think it's obvious why sellers lie about the price. Wouldn't be very appealing to say here's a suit which is worth $320 and I will see it to you for $300. It's a bit naive to take all that seriously and get upset.
If you can do a Kiton lookalike for $600 you should expect an onslaught of orders so good luck.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
You're right about all of this but my only point was Corneliani does have some input, which is more than Men's Warehouse, JAB etc can claim.
I think it's obvious why sellers lie about the price. Wouldn't be very appealing to say here's a suit which is worth $320 and I will see it to you for $300. It's a bit naive to take all that seriously and get upset.
If you can do a Kiton lookalike for $600 you should expect an onslaught of orders so good luck.

I think the consensus is that Baroni makes one of the best, if not the best, suits out there that can be regularly had for $300. And that's great if all you really want is a $300 suit. But this argument over the best $300 dollar suit is like trying to determine whether Rockport or Stacy Adams makes the better $50 dress shoe, and some people are getting all crazy and saying their cobbler told them that their Rockports are better than Aldens and other $400 shoes. Moreover, if Baroni is only half canvas, we should be comparing them to other half-canvas suits like Brooks Bros 1818 line, which can be had fairly regularly on clearance or during one of their sales at around $400-600, but with nicer fabrics.

It's all about what value point you want to be at. Some people on this forum scoff at Allen Edmonds, but I personally don't see why I'd ever spend more for a pair of non-cordovan shoes because I'm satisfied with the styling and quality of AE. While I may be happy with the value I get from AE, I'm not going to try and tell someone that AE is equivalent to Lobb, C&J, or G&G.

I'm sure what Tony meant was that he could give you the construction details he mentioned for starting price of $600. I'm pretty sure that a lot of what goes into the price of a Kiton, however, is the fabric. So to do an accurate Kiton replica would probably be closer to the $6,000 end of the range Tony quoted.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Jeff seems to have the added benefit of providing suit seperates if you ask for them. This is handy for those of us with big drops that can't find higher quality suits on sales racks.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild

I'm sure what Tony meant was that he could give you the construction details he mentioned for starting price of $600. I'm pretty sure that a lot of what goes into the price of a Kiton, however, is the fabric. So to do an accurate Kiton replica would probably be closer to the $6,000 end of the range Tony quoted.

That is correct. Guabello 180s would run about 5K.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score

My point is why can't they just list it for $295.00 as a regular price if the garment stands on it's own as "the best $300.00 suit around" then it will sell? Some people do take it that type of pricing seriously, (i.e. Jos A Banks).
I have had several people bring me Baroni suits to alter they bought on ebay and say "this was on sale for $300!!! it is a $1,295.00 suit!" then i show them my instock book where it is priced at $295.00 and if it is bought from me they get free alterations. I then show them a real $1,295.00 suit hanging in my shop.

GIXXER126

Reaction score
My point is why can't they just list it for $295.00 as a regular price if the garment stands on it's own as "the best $300.00 suit around" then it will sell? Some people do take it that type of pricing seriously, (i.e. Jos A Banks).
I have had several people bring me Baroni suits to alter they bought on ebay and say "this was on sale for $300!!! it is a $1,295.00 suit!" then i show them my instock book where it is priced at $295.00 and if it is bought from me they get free alterations. I then show them a real $1,295.00 suit hanging in my shop.

I'm a big fan of the Wizards. It really does shock me that the guy has near 20,000 sales through e-bay and every single sale is rated as a 5 of 5. I fully agree with all your comments regarding the overstated MSRP, but regardless, for $300 I find the suits to be very impressive.

As a side question, given this groups extensive knowledge in suits and fashion, I am looking for a supplier for extremely nice, good quality dress shirts for a good price point. The shirts I have today are labeled as "Omega Couture" and teh shirt fabrics are nice and thick and have amazing fabric. They're $245 each, which is why I was hoping to find a good lead on a place I could buy direct. Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads