• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
you're either naïve or an idiot
smile.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
you're either naïve or an idiot
smile.gif

The fact of the matter is, almost all math majors don't continue delving into theoretical mathematics as a profession. Either you're delusional or clearly misinformed about what jobs math majors actually end up pursuing (hint hint: it's usually a hard science or finance/economics).

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
settle down nerd you said they all go into math-heavy disciplines now you're changing what you said. i know plenty that have gone into traditionally math-free disciplines. it's blowing up everywhere. next topic please

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
settle down nerd you said they all go into math-heavy disciplines now you're changing what you said. i know plenty that have gone into traditionally math-free disciplines. it's blowing up everywhere. next topic please
You're a cool dude, but you just fail at reading comprehension.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
I think you just fail at reading comprehension.
Math majors are only versatile in conjunction with another math-heavy degree...Otherwise, they are ... useless
laugh.gif

reprehensible

Reaction score
Math majors are only versatile in conjunction with another math-heavy degree, like economics, physics, etc. Otherwise, they are almost as useless as English majors.

I've interviewed a lot of people for programming jobs. Being conversant in, or comfortable with, mathematics has always been a good sign. It's a more reliably positive trait than having a CS degree, for example. (Our most pathetic recent interview was a guy with a MS CS from Purdue who didn't know big-O notation, sigh.)

Probably correlative more than causative; the sort of person who gets interested in math stuff is more likely to be smart and detail-oriented. But there you go.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
Probably correlative more than causative; the sort of person who gets interested in math stuff is more likely to be smart and detail-oriented. But there you go.
teacha.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
teacha.gif

This does not support your argument that mathematics is a versatile major whatsoever.
facepalm.gif
Also, correlation != causation

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
I've interviewed a lot of people for programming jobs. Being conversant in, or comfortable with, mathematics has always been a good sign. It's a more reliably positive trait than having a CS degree, for example. (Our most pathetic recent interview was a guy with a MS CS from Purdue who didn't know big-O notation, sigh.) Probably correlative more than causative; the sort of person who gets interested in math stuff is more likely to be smart and detail-oriented. But there you go.
I don't know... the fact that he's from Purdue should have already been a dead giveaway that he wasn't really amounting to much in the first place. PS. shahshahshah, being conversant in/comfortable with mathematics != having a math major

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
WRONG ANSWER then again I have a math major and I'm getting paid by the Japanese government to post here, so anything is possible
hey I'm doing math too
fistbump.gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
correlation != causation
being conversant in/comfortable with mathematics != having a math major
lol you're just full of radical ideas aren't you
fight[1].gif
any more enlightening statements, professor ? perhaps we could publish your thoughts on this matter in the journal of contemporary philosophy

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
lol you're just full of radical ideas aren't you
fight[1].gif

any more enlightening statements, professor ? perhaps we could publish your thoughts on this matter in the journal of contemporary philosophy

i just like debunking your already frail argument
teacha.gif

reprehensible

Reaction score
I don't know... the fact that he's from Purdue should have already been a dead giveaway that he wasn't really amounting to much in the first place.

PS. shahshahshah, being conversant in/comfortable with mathematics != having a math major

I would be so happy to interview a math major. Or, alternately, anyone competent.

CS degree is a null signifier, math degree might mean something. ****, I'd be happy to see a Philosophy major, or a Linguistics major, or pretty much anything but a CS major that has worked at three different banks and is still a **** programmer and terrible engineer.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i just like debunking your already frail argument
teacha.gif

there was no argument it was a simple observation that your aborted brain was unable to comprehend. nice try lil buddy. can we stop with the nerdery chat now or do you have a couple post-graduate degrees to back up your realtalk ?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
there was no argument it was a simple observation that your aborted brain was unable to comprehend. nice try lil buddy. can we stop with the nerdery chat now or do you have a couple post-graduate degrees to back up your realtalk ?
Again, you fail to understand your own fallacies and shortcomings. You made an observation. I accused said observation of being false. You tried to make an argument trying to prove the validity of your observation (a rather feeble attempt that ended up being nothing more a poor execution at insulting my intelligence than anything else), which relied more on causality of relationships based on the posts of another sfer, and ended up proving nothing. If you look at the work fields math majors end up going into, it's very rarely going to end up being strictly mathematics. It'll intertwine with a field that is more applicable to the real world, like economics (economic theory itself is questionable a lot of times because it's impossible to fully account for human behavior, but it's still more useful in real world application than math theory is), finance, some sort of engineering, hard science, etc. Thus, like I said earlier, a math major is only VERSATILE (as you put it) if it is in conjunction with another more applicable field. Have I broken it down enough for your brain to comprehend? I mean, this is simple logical progression and reasoning. Basic logic does not require a post-grad degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads