• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
saw a set of 5 silver dollars today (all late 1890's CC mint) but they were actually asking more then they are worth.
thats not as bad as what i saw about 6 months ago...#6 Spiderman (i think spidey was fighting the sandman on the cover) they wanted $999!!!
i told the manager that she must have hit her head on one of the shelves then showed her the current value on ebay ($75-$100) and she just made a know it all face.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of fishing. I went out and drove a long way and found a few
good things. Then on the way home, stopped by a thrift a lot closer and
scored the best catch o' the day. A Willis & Geiger winter shirt for $5.99.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
It reminds me of fishing. I went out and drove a long way and found a few
good things. Then on the way home, stopped by a thrift a lot closer and
scored the best catch o' the day. A Willis & Geiger winter shirt for $5.99.

It's like fishing, except you can't know where the fish are likely to be at any given time, there's no equipment or bait that will help you catch something, and every lake you fish just hosted a semi-pro bass tournament the day before.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Sorry for the late responses - I'm on the road in Ohio this week.

Originally Posted by Nataku
Was gonna go hit some thrifts on Saturday, as I knew nobody would be out because of the snowstorm. Opened the garage door and changed my mind. May not look bad in the pic but there was a solid 15" in the driveway. This was around 2pm, we got an additional 5" by 7pm, so I wasn't about to leave only to come back and not be able to get in the driveway! Headed out today instead. Wish me luck!

P1030635.jpg

I was in Columbus this morning and when the guys in the office found out I was driving uo to Cleveland this evening they said, "Are you nuts? It's cold in Cleveland". Apparently, 16 freakin degrees (my car's thermometer reading in Columbus) isn't cold? You Yankees are nuts...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 83glt
Personally, it's gotten to the point now where I skip over Canali as if it were a Cricketeer. I just don't bother with anything less than absolute top quality or a brand that will bring a premium as far as selling is concerned. I've had mixed results with Canali, so I just say forget it. I'm pretty lucky though, as there's lots of bespoke to be found and high end RTW around here.

As crazy as he sounds even I have learned to pass on stuff like Canali unless it's very recent. You'll see.

PS - I will still glady take your ventless Kiton, Brioni, St. Andrews, Belvest, etc. stuff off of your hands...

...It's actually a 1980 VW Scirocco. They're even more scarce than the Z-cars of the same era these days.

P1020243-1.jpg

worship2.gif
worship2.gif

My dream ride was my Honda S2000. A week after I bought it my wife found out she was pregnant
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by frenchy
oh yeah i almost forgot...BNWT handmade in italy Caruso SC in linen and a BNWT Canali SC in silk...

You almost FORGOT a BNWT Caruso? Now you're just being a jackass
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheWGP
Same here - there are some people on this thread to whom normal rules of scarcity and rarity simply do not seem to apply. I can't even imagine passing on Canali as a matter of course, for example!

Hearing about passes like that is definitely worthwhile, though I've yet to actually luck into something as a result of one of those. The important thing, as anyone who thrifts much knows, is just to keep plugging away at it!

I feel your pain: I spent the afternoon hitting 5-6 places in Columbus and came up empty-handed.

A big +1.

Member EBTX66 recently posted that he passed on a huge lot of Celine Paris ties. The patterns are similar to Hermes/Ferragamo with printed patterns of chain links and oddball stuff like skis and jackets and critters. He proxied 9 of them for me which was very much appreciated on my part. Got them today as well and they are all gorgeous. Thanks again!
smile.gif

I would have never known about these had he not mentioned them. I've also proxied stuff for members in the past as well. Even though it doesn't fit your taste but you know someone else may like it, it's good to know it'll go to a good home rather than to a flipper.

You are very much welcome sir.
cheers.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drool.gif
drool.gif

..... you are my size. I want these!! Wow! Where did you find these? I'm in Philly...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by 83glt
... and here they are. I did my best to convey the handwork.

PartitoChesterfields002.jpg

PartitoChesterfields004.jpg

PartitoChesterfields.jpg

PartitoChesterfields005.jpg

PartitoChesterfields006.jpg

PartitoChesterfields008.jpg

PartitoChesterfields011.jpg

PartitoChesterfields013.jpg

PartitoChesterfields015.jpg

PartitoChesterfields016.jpg

PartitoChesterfields020.jpg

PartitoChesterfields019.jpg

PartitoChesterfields018.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66

I was in Columbus this morning and when the guys in the office found out I was driving uo to Cleveland this evening they said, "Are you nuts? It's cold in Cleveland". Apparently, 16 freakin degrees (my car's thermometer reading in Columbus) isn't cold? You Yankees are nuts...
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Tomorrow is a huge warm-up for us. A high of 17 degrees! Woo Hoo! We'll even break the 20 degree mark on Thursday. It sure as hell beats the high of 3 degrees yesterday!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Tomorrow is a huge warm-up for us. A high of 17 degrees! Woo Hoo! We'll even break the 20 degree mark on Thursday. It sure as hell beats the high of 3 degrees yesterday!

It was mid-80's last week in LA
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Very nice boots! What material are they? They look sturdy.

Thanks, they are leather uppers and biltrite rubber soles, not sure about the lining. Very heavy duty, and very heavy. They will clearly take some breaking in, I could barely walk up stairs on the first wearing because they don't readily crease at the moment. Pretty comfortable though.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Bought a RL Purple label cotton jumper with buttons on the sholder for £45. Retailed for £440.
Got it from the RL Outlet shop at Bicester Village near Oxford.

odiv

Reaction score
Thanks for quoting those coats again. I never get tired of looking at them.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
It was mid-80's last week in LA
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Of course, you have to take the good with the bad:

33388287.jpg

gang_1563676c.jpg

la-earthquakes.jpg

traffic-jam.jpg

paparazzi1.jpg

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
this is getting embarassing...brand new without tags cotton/linen BORRELLI SC,not my size sadly

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whaaat?! Geez! It's one thing to find a suit/jacket by Borrelli, but NWT?! That's just insane! Today was dress shirt day. NWT/NWOT shirts from Brioni, Turnbull & Asser, Kiton and Zegna Mainline. Here's something odd, the blue T&A shirt had a small "reticket" receipt from Bloomingdales stapled to the bottom. I had no idea Bloomingdales sold high end stuff! The Bloomingdales here in Minnesota sure doesn't sell anything near the level of T&A - must have came from out of state.
P1030653.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics