• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowtie with a black suit

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
Can I wear a black satin bowtie with a black suit, or is that strictly for dinner jackets only?
Dinner jackets only. You'll look like you're either trying to get double duty out of a black suit or don't know what a proper dinner jacket is.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Dinner jackets only. You'll look like you're either trying to get double duty out of a black suit or don't know what a proper dinner jacket is.

+1

This is what you are trying to do though isn't it?

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
Yea, black tie wedding requires a black suit at the bare minimum, and I don't have a dinner jacket, I don't really have use for one, being i'm still fairly young
Why not rent? An informed rental can easily look better than a plain black suit, as long as it fits properly. The only things you'd really need to purchase are the shirt, tie, pocket square, hose and shoes (captoe oxfords in calf leather are fine, as long as they're polished to a military-level shine).

Or, if you plan on staying in shape, you could always pony up the cash for a tuxedo and then maintain yourself so you can still wear it when other opportunities arise.

Ivar

Reaction score
Avoid, lest you want to look like Jason Bateman:

osacr-jason-bateman.jpg

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
Why not rent? An informed rental can easily look better than a plain black suit, as long as it fits properly. The only things you'd really need to purchase are the shirt, tie, pocket square, hose and shoes (captoe oxfords in calf leather are fine, as long as they're polished to a military-level shine).

Or, if you plan on staying in shape, you could always pony up the cash for a tuxedo and then maintain yourself so you can still wear it when other opportunities arise.

Yea I do maintain my body, but I just don't feel like I'll really need a tux for a while, even though I know quite a few weddings are coming up. I guess I'll have to figure something out for the future, and just stick with a satin black tie for now.

Originally Posted by Ivar
Avoid, lest you want to look like Jason Bateman:

osacr-jason-bateman.jpg

Yea I see your point, just doesn't look right

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads