• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Desk Chair

atct86

Reaction score
I am in need of a new office desk chair. I don't want to spend any more than $1,200, and I am not looking for a plush leather chair.

I would default towards a Herman Miller Aeron chair, but I wanted to see what else was out there.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple threads on this. Use the searchbar and see if you can dig one of them up.

atct86

Reaction score
when i searched it seemed everyone said to go with the Aeron chair. I was wondering how the Mira or Embody compare.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I like the aesthetic of the Eames Aluminum Exec chair... Though it likely isn't as comfortable as the Aeron.
I've got the Soft Pad model of the Aluminum Group Executive, very comfy and looks better and better as it ages. It might not be as ergonomic as the aeron, which I have at work, but perfect for home use as it looks a lot better and is comfier for shorter periods of use than the aeron. http://store.hermanmiller.com/store/...1_-1_10051_924 It will break the $1200 budget though.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herman Miller Aeron

/thread

Lots of people while about the price, but considering that you'll be spending almost 1/3 of your day sitting in it, it's well worth the investment.

wmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 660
I've got the Soft Pad model of the Aluminum Group Executive, very comfy and looks better and better as it ages. It might not be as ergonomic as the aeron, which I have at work, but perfect for home use as it looks a lot better and is comfier for shorter periods of use than the aeron.

http://store.hermanmiller.com/store/...1_-1_10051_924

It will break the $1200 budget though.

The padded chair is great but you can spend an extra 500 or so and get the non padded version. I bought one ten years ago and it is better than ever -- plus it looks great in the house, unlike the Aeron chair ( in my opinion. )

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmb
The padded chair is great but you can spend an extra 500 or so and get the non padded version. I bought one ten years ago and it is better than ever -- plus it looks great in the house, unlike the Aeron chair ( in my opinion. )
The padded one is comfier, but the non padded definitely looks better and costs at least 500 bucks less than the padded one. edit: According to the HM website the non padded is in fact a full grand cheaper than the soft pad: http://store.hermanmiller.com/store/...1_-1_10051_621

clubbyjones

Reaction score
I have an fully-adjustable Aeron. Call me crazy, and I may not be using it right, but it feels the same to me as any other padded desk chair.

Laurens

Reaction score
I have 2 Eames chairs, the Eames Aluminum Group Management Chair with pneumatic lift and one the Eames Aluminum Group Side Chair with arms. Both in Cloth onyx black.

I think they sit wonderfully, but that's me.
And they look 10 if not 100 times better then then that Herman Miller thing.
The Eames is a design Icon with allure and style, the Herman Miller looks like any old plastic desk chair to me.

petemac

Reaction score
I am pleased with my aeron chair. After the first week I used it I haven't had to consider it again for any reason. Its looks may turn some away, and if I was using it in a more refined context I would opt for something else.

Hany

Reaction score
I would look at Knoll before deciding on Herman Miller.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Aeron. I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a Humanscale Freedom chair. The Aeron is not bad, just like the aesthetics of the humanscale, but really haven't sat in one. We used to have a few humanscale chairs at the office though, pretty nice stuff.

http://www.humanscale.com/products/p...irwithheadrest

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads