• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake Saddleback leather bags on ebay

kraftar

Reaction score
Is this a 'fake Saddleback'? It's certainly not a Saddleback but then the seller never says it is... it's a LederMann

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be a good read for ye
teacha.gif

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...39459578.shtml

Reaction score
Eitherway I just bid on an identical Saddleback Leather large briefcase lookalike.
The sellers feedback is beyond solid on his bags.
I own 2 Saddleback bags now. An authentic Saddleback leather Medium briefcase and the handle fell apart, held together by CHEAP GLUE! Saddleback fixed it, took them a month though. I also own a saddlebacl Backpack, the rivet on the strap popped off in two days because the straps are overstuffed. I could sent it back, but I don't have another month to wait.

My point is, Saddleback leather bags are nice but do have breakable parts and while they have a 100 year warranty, does that even matter? I mean will they be around in 100 years? They are overpriced and I am willing to spend $100 to check out the knock off which seem to be
eh.gif
IDENTICAL.

Here is the bag I bid on: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Alimentarius

Reaction score
...and you will get what you pay for- a cheap bag made at one of hundreds of factories in China that do work for lower end brands, and crank out copies of other brands to sell to said ebayer in between contracts. It'll probably hold your stuff, I suppose...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alimentarius
...and you will get what you pay for- a cheap bag made at one of hundreds of factories in China that do work for lower end brands, and crank out copies of other brands to sell to said ebayer in between contracts. It'll probably hold your stuff, I suppose...

Maybe , maybe not..I know that both of the SBL bags that I own have had broken parts (held to gether by cheap glue, cheap rivets) already...so did I get what I for paid for there? I think not. If I win, I will happily post pictures in comparison to the two originals that I own.

I think if I can get a comparable product for a third of the cost then yes I get what I paid for.
I don't think SBL delivers for the prices they charge and I am not alone.

I would say that I would grade the backpack at about a $250-$300 back and about $200 for the briefcase that I own. That's a fair price for these, with luck you can score them on Ebay for that from SBL. And BTW Chinese vs. Mexican craftsmanship? That's a toss up man...

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got 2 posts, both in this thread & both extolling the virtues of an eBay seller. Smells like
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
You've got 2 posts, both in this thread & both extolling the virtues of an eBay seller. Smells like
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Sorry, not spam just a person that owns 2 SBL bags and speaks truth, I even log on with my real name. google it, i'm easy to find.

But thanks for being a snoopervisor.

saintadam

Reaction score
I can confirm, as a previous purchaser of one of these "knock-offs" that the LederMann bags are made from a very high quality Pleather that is very difficult to distinguish from the real thing.

They are heavy, like the Saddleback bags, the stitching is pretty good and they are lined with real suede. However, the main material, if tested with some standard leather tests (smell, moisture, pore stretch and burning) fails all of them.

Having said that, for the price, less than $100 in my case, and the reduced postage to the UK and NO import tax to pay (don't know how!), the total cost was still not much more than $100, whereas the similar bag from SBL would add up to around $900 with all additional charges.

Time will tell if this bag lasts at all, but I was interested to hear how the great SBL bags also seem to have their faults, something you have to think about carefully when you live on the other side of the pond and postage is so much ($221 for an SBL bag!!)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saintadam
I can confirm, as a previous purchaser of one of these "knock-offs" that the LederMann bags are made from a very high quality Pleather that is very difficult to distinguish from the real thing.

Lol, what?

saintadam

Reaction score
Apologies, looks like I have done a bit TOO much research on the topic!

Pleather, or PU Leather or sometimes (in the furniture business) bi-cast leather, (created by bonding a thick PVC material to a leather substrate to give the illusion of expensive thick leather) is a plastic leather substitute.

In the case of these bags, a very high "quality" one, complete with embossed grain, but absolutely NO smell (other than from the small amount of suede) which is the first tell-tale sign of the material.

Hope that helps and apologies for the confusion!!

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by waysun johnny tsai
I own 2 Saddleback bags now. An authentic Saddleback leather Medium briefcase and the handle fell apart, held together by CHEAP GLUE!

This is frankly very difficult to believe. Every detailed picture, description, and review makes the stitching on the handle painfully obvious. Sure, sure, you're just going to keep insisting that your case fell apart... but I call bullshit. Stitches like that do not come apart easily. Are you honestly trying to say that the stitching is purely cosmetic and that yours was held together by glue alone?

tyborne

Reaction score
So you are saying these bags are not really leather. They have pretty good feedback.....actually 100%. Are we to believe that not one person realized the bag they bought was not really leather? Is it possible they are just lower grade leather? Made in low wage countries? Has anyone actually bought one of these and can they confirm they are fake leather? Something like this one say: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-leather-...item3a616cb57c I don't know. The pictures sure look like real leather. Mind you, you may not get the one that's in the photo. Thoughts?????

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saintadam
Apologies, looks like I have done a bit TOO much research on the topic!

Pleather, or PU Leather or sometimes (in the furniture business) bi-cast leather, (created by bonding a thick PVC material to a leather substrate to give the illusion of expensive thick leather) is a plastic leather substitute.

In the case of these bags, a very high "quality" one, complete with embossed grain, but absolutely NO smell (other than from the small amount of suede) which is the first tell-tale sign of the material.

Hope that helps and apologies for the confusion!!

thanks, saddleback!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads