• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I like how they do that slightly bevelled edge on the welt so it is not flat. It is a nice touch.

Originally Posted by Redwoood
Beautiful shoes, very tasteful.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to receiving them.

emptym

Reaction score
Wow, very nice, Groover. I'd never seen that by anyone but Lobb. And you got these for a better price (edit: I assume), with the details you wanted.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Groover, you give me hope that perhaps AS has finally got their act together as far as the leather quality is concerned.

My handgrades have aged very poorly that I considered never going back to AS.

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Groover, you give me hope that perhaps AS has finally got their act together as far as the leather quality is concerned.

My handgrades have aged very poorly that I considered never going back to AS.

I'm sorry to hear that. Which shoes were they?

I've had several pairs of HG spec shoes over the past 18 months, none of which have shown any signs of premature age.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Groover
Thanks.

I'm looking forward to receiving them.

The kid done well!! Excellent choice G. Hope you're well?

Clint

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
Hiya, sorry for my tardy response. I've been giving your questions some thought. I will try and answer your questions as best as I can.

1. I look forward to seeing the double monks - I'm glad that I provided some inspiration to you.

2. The 99 Last is my best last and works for me. However, the AS48 is pretty similar in fit to the 99 last (so I've been told). So, you'll be fine with this choice.

3. The angle of the double monks for me are still something special to behold and I would recommend that you continue along this route. You will be able to get the "standard" double monks a little later down the line.

4. For reference, I've got orders for a pair of Standard double monks and a pair of "swept back" single monks.

I'm not sure when the single monks appeared. However, the double monks (in blue suede) turned up this morning.

To conclude, go for it. I'm confident that you'll be very pleased with the results.

Regards

Clint

Well here they are - I went for the AS 48, added a medallion, and went for a red-brown colour. I couldn't be more impressed - so cheers for the inspiration.

AS451.jpg

They're in a better class than any other shoes Ive handled - e.g. C&J, Vass, EG RTW. I'm not knowledgeable on construction but the look and feel of these shoes has to be experienced first hand. The leather is flawless, thick and supple; the colouring is rich and lustrous and brings out the grain and texture. The stitching is perfectly aligned and robust. The last and general shape is sleek without being delicate, a perfect balance front and back, and I especially like the low cut quarter. (the shoes also fit v well); and the soles are beautifully beveled and waisted and cut very close to the upper, making the shoes much sleeker than any other double-soled double monk I've seen.
AS390.jpg

AS311.jpg

AS308.jpg

And Chay Cooper is a real gent.

888style

Reaction score
From the pictures, they look like a very nice pair of shoes. Nothing more important then a happy satisfied customer.

They're in a better class than any other shoes Ive handled - e.g. C&J, Vass, EG RTW.

Easy statement, much harder to prove. Specially on Vass and EG.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy statement, much harder to prove. Specially on Vass and EG.[/quote]

Unless you see these shoes of course you'll have to take my word for it
smile.gif
. But I can tell you these particular AS HGs are superior to the Vass and EG I own because 1. the leather is without a single observable flaw 2. and is thicker (which I happen to like on a double monk) 3. The stitching is faultless. 4. The presentation box is unique 5. London waist. The pics don't really do them justice.

888style

Reaction score
S must have taken notice when Tony worked them through the production requirements for his RTW line. This newly acquired knowledge is flowing into the recent As models.

Still not sold on it the whole concept though. Too much "me too" for me.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 888style
AS must have taken notice when Tony worked them through the production requirements for his RTW line. This newly acquired knowledge is flowing into the recent As models.

Still not sold on it the whole concept though. Too much "me too" for me.

Comments like these just make no sense to me and are completely unfathomable. AS have been making shoes since before any of us were born. I am sure that Paul and Andrew Sargent have forgotten more about shoe making than most people will ever know. I don't want to take anything away from G+G, but to say (because there was a connection between the two companies at one time) that AS copies G+G is to ignore the fact that there has been very little new in men's shoes for about 50 years. Elsewhere on this board, you have people saying that only German shoemakers use aniline calf. People really spend the vast majority of their time on this presenting disinformation.

3594047091_0bb68dd7a1_m.jpg

Crockett
a95105de.jpg

EG

DSC01770.jpg

AS
BespokeAdelaide.jpg

G+G

Dates the companies were founded:
Crockett & Jones: 1879

Edward Green: 1890

Alfred Sargent: 1899

G+G: 2006

Now of the old guard, I will admit that AS is a bit of newcomer-- only being in business for 112 years, but G+G was founded in 2006.
Really it is G+G who are the newcomers to the business. The styles they make have been around since the 1940's. People may like their shoes, but to paraphrase an old joke--"who is copying whom?"

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are some great shoes - hard to tell diff in quality just from those photos, which I guess is your point :)

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Well here they are - I went for the AS 48, added a medallion, and went for a red-brown colour. I couldn't be more impressed - so cheers for the inspiration.

They're in a better class than any other shoes Ive handled - e.g. C&J, Vass, EG RTW. I'm not knowledgeable on construction but the look and feel of these shoes has to be experienced first hand. The leather is flawless, thick and supple; the colouring is rich and lustrous and brings out the grain and texture. The stitching is perfectly aligned and robust. The last and general shape is sleek without being delicate, a perfect balance front and back, and I especially like the low cut quarter. (the shoes also fit v well); and the soles are beautifully beveled and waisted and cut very close to the upper, making the shoes much sleeker than any other double-soled double monk I've seen.

And Chay Cooper is a real gent.

I'm so glad that you're happy with them. Call me biased, but I think that they look pretty "Dope". Wear them in good health.

I'm not going to add much to above, other than to say that I think if the truth be known, most people will have their "favourite" makers and some will go to great lengths to justify why.

I dodge those discussions because, as has been noted, most maker's shoes will bear some similarity to each other. Some will have good points, some will have bad points, but none of them will generally be bad.

For me, the shoes have to be of an acceptable standard, after that it's the other stuff which are more important to me, such as customer service (both pre and post sales). As I write, I've yet to find Customer Service better than Chay at AS.

But that's just my opinion and choice....

Cheers

Clint

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mm I originally asked for a D shape but they didn't have them. but now I think the square is good - a contrast to all the curves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads