• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit or pants?

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I've recently started a new job where there is a dress code. I currently have a black 2pc, black pinstripe 2 pc, navy pinstripe slacks, and dark grey/navy chino's. I used to only wear jeans at my last job so I've never found myself shopping for "work" clothes.

I should probably have about $500-600 to spend so I'm wondering whether I should buy a charcoal/grey suit or just buy pants? I'm not required to wear a jacket, but lacking a grey/charcoal jacket seems to be something I'm missing. There's a Century 21 right by my office. I've browsed some of the suits and could probably find a decent one for around $400 and then purchase more slacks when I have enough money? I'd like to expand my rotation

Gwarg

Reaction score
You should definitely have a jacket that isn't black.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably need a second suit but what is the normal dress for one in your position?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you only have $500-$600 to spend, and you need some business clothing for work right now, you need to determine what you will be wearing to work on a daily basis. If nobody in your office wears suits, then don't buy a new suit just yet. If everyone does business casual, then you'd be much better off spending your money on some new slacks and dress shirts (and probably a nice pair of shoes), that way you will actually get your money's worth. I have a couple suits in my closet that I never wear, because nobody in my office wears suits and I would look like an idiot if I wore one most days.

Jay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
If you only have $500-$600 to spend, and you need some business clothing for work right now, you need to determine what you will be wearing to work on a daily basis. If nobody in your office wears suits, then don't buy a new suit just yet. If everyone does business casual, then you'd be much better off spending your money on some new slacks and dress shirts (and probably a nice pair of shoes), that way you will actually get your money's worth. I have a couple suits in my closet that I never wear, because nobody in my office wears suits and I would look like an idiot if I wore one most days.

+1. I have so many suits that I never wear for this reason.

southbound35

Reaction score
+2

I've got a closet full of suits that rarely get any wear because my office is business casual.

Shirts, pants, and shoes should be where you spend your money.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Do you have a navy blazer? If I were you, given your budget, I would get this, as it a very versatile wardrobe staple, and maybe another pair (lighter gray) of dress pants.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I was leaning towards the suit, but I can certainly see the jacket going unworn. I won't be wearing them to the office and probably won't be wearing one until summer for a wedding.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
Do you have a navy blazer? If I were you, given your budget, I would get this, as it a very versatile wardrobe staple, and maybe another pair (lighter gray) of dress pants.

I don't at the moment - as of right now, i generally wear jeans when I go out. I've gotten a pair of cotton chino's that I also wear and will be looking to get some khaki's into the wardrobe.

Macallan

Reaction score
Since you have suits, you are probably better of with just trousers.

If I were to go back in time for my work wardrobe, I would go for two suits and
the rest being just trousers. You could get away with one suit but some companies do have multiple interview stages.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I contend that, at least for business, you really don't have a suit, black and black pinstripe being unacceptable for business dress. At this point you need to concentrate on one of the suit staples: navy or gray.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I contend that, at least for business, you really don't have a suit, black and black pinstripe being unacceptable for business dress. At this point you need to concentrate on one of the suit staples: navy or gray.

Yes, he should spend his small amount of money for another suit that he won't wear. Brilliant!

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Yes, he should spend his small amount of money for another suit that he won't wear. Brilliant!

No need for the 'tude, my friend. I just believe that every many had ought to own at least one proper suit. If you don't, fine.

Jay

Reaction score
No need for the 'tude, my friend. I just believe that every many had ought to own at least one proper suit. If you don't, fine.

This is true, but considering his limited budget and the fact that he doesn't require a suit for work, he can wait until he has some money saved to buy a suit. He should be well dressed everyday at work, not just for the seldom times he needs a suit.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't enjoy suits or clothing. I'm just more of a realist than some SF'ers who think having the perfect suit should be everyone's priority. I didn't mean it with any snark, but he said he has a $500-$600 budget. Unless he gets extremely lucky at some close-out sale, he won't find a semi-SF approved suit and still be able to buy work attire. That said, in the future, a classic suit in navy or charcoal is not a bad investment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads