• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I advise that you do anything and everything you possibly can to stop smoking. It's not big or clever. I once had a Mam and a Dad but they were both smokers and both died of lung cancer. Just say no.
Though I appreciate your concern, my question was about gloves :\\

BRMC_doves

Reaction score
Which SF member is currently sporting this avatar?
2m7dnki.png

Troilus

Reaction score
Some of the nicer used shoes in B&S have small attachments on the soles that look like taps (for tap dancing). I assume that these are added to increase the durability of the sole (or maybe some people are just huge Gregory Hines fans).

My questions: (1) What are these called, (2) Where does one get them, (3) are they necessary or recommended for nicer entry-level shoes (e.g. AE Park Avenues)?

poissa

Reaction score
a) sunken toe plates b) I send shoes to BNELSON shoe corp in New York. c) I have indeed added them to AE Park Avenues. THey are installed for longevity of the welt. Cost from VIP is $50 including shipping to and from his office.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yuyu8
I like this site very much

===== http://www.................us/ ====

jordan air max oakland raiders $34-39;

Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25;

Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25;

gstar coogi evisu true jeans $34;

coach chanel gucci LV handbags $33;

coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18;

CA edhardy vests.paul smith shoes $32;

jordan dunk af1 max gucci shoes $37;

EDhardy gucci ny New Era cap $12;

coach okely Adidas CHANEL DG Sunglass $15;

===== http://www.................us/ ====

moderator can we get rid of this poster?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Troilus
Some of the nicer used shoes in B&S have small attachments on the soles that look like taps (for tap dancing). I assume that these are added to increase the durability of the sole (or maybe some people are just huge Gregory Hines fans).

My questions: (1) What are these called, (2) Where does one get them, (3) are they necessary or recommended for nicer entry-level shoes (e.g. AE Park Avenues)?

1. you could be refering to a cats paw which covers the entire bottom of the sole, or tips and taps which sre small and cover the heel and toe were your foot hits the ground

2. any shoemaker can do it or drop off at local nordstroms

3. not necessary but will increase longevity of shoe some people dont like the look or find it bothersome to walk on them it takes getting used to

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
1. you could be refering to a cats paw which covers the entire bottom of the sole, or tips and taps which sre small and cover the heel and toe were your foot hits the ground

2. any shoemaker can do it or drop off at local nordstroms

3. not necessary but will increase longevity of shoe some people dont like the look or find it bothersome to walk on them it takes getting used to

i haven't had any problems with an adjustment period. to clarify, metal toe plates are more difficult to get ones hand on, ymmv. and if you are getting a cobbler to do work on your toe see about an english heel, i love them.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
moderator can we get rid of this poster?

Don't quote spams, or at least remove their links from the quote.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinion on THEORY brand clothing?
about the same price and quality as hugo boss?
Any better or worse?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
I'm interested in buying some OK leather gloves for 50-60 USD. I would be using them for driving and general gallivanting. They would be used for NY's winter in the 20s F. They don't have to be really thin, but I'd prefer if they were thin enough for fiddling around in pockets or handling a cigarette. I'm 6'3" so my hands are rather big, and fit is important to me. What do you advise? Thanks.
http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/Scripts/default.asp Don't just browse the Dress Glove section. Like all good glove places, they take traces of your hand and make a glove for it. If you want thin gloves just go with silk lining or no-lining. Some of their gloves are 28 GBP which is about your price range. Though if you want them to make one to tracings it will be 20 GBP one time charge.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Don't quote spams, or at least remove their links from the quote.

duly noted thanks

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duckelf
A suit would be suitable for this party, in fact a fair few people wear black tie/highland dress to this event. That is what I would have done but I could not find a decent dinner jacket in my price range, so I am going for the navy suit which will also be used for interviews later on. My flatmates are wearing black lounge suits to this event, although I am going with navy as I think that it is more versatile and classic.

Do you think that a solid burgundy would work for such an event? What about a pocket square? Should I wear one?

EDIT: There is a mention of the event on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow...on#Daft_Friday Although it is no longer much of a black tie event.

Navy is a very safe color. It is also fairly neutral and will go with almost any color. I wouldn't go with a solid tie, it would be boring upon boring. Try finding a tie with a little bit of pattern to spice things up.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...1ywjzIzJfDYf4A

But that is just a matter of personal opinion. In the end you should take a picture of yourself wearing the ensemble and see if you like the over all effect. Looking comfortable in your cloth goes a long way to make it look good.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duckelf
Navy Suit
White Shirt
Solid Burgundy Tie
Dark Brown Belt
Dark Brown Derby Shoes
White Pocket Square

Do you think this would work well for a university end of semester party? Should I wear I different colour tie? Have a tie with more of a pattern? Should I drop the pocket square?

That would work well. The only thing I would suggest is swapping black shoes for brown if it is an event where others may be wearing semi-formal attire.

Originally Posted by JamesX
I wouldn't go with a solid tie, it would be boring upon boring. Try finding a tie with a little bit of pattern to spice things up.
When wearing a suit at an event that is business formal/semi-formal, you don't want a tie to "spice things up." You want a solid or otherwise staid tie in keeping with the solid colors that are worn with semi-formal attire.

Vecna

Reaction score
When buying shoes, how much longer (on average) should a dress shoe's insole be than your actual foot? My foot is 12 inches long (fitting, eh?) so I should aim for what size insole? 12.5"?

Should this number vary with different shoes? Chucks, boots, anything?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads