• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are British men scuffy? (short clip from BBC Radio 4)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The average Londoner is not to SF's standards...

A lot of tracksuit,football shirts,designer gears with big logos and so on...

The average working man in London is like everywhere else in the world wearing ill-fitted sizes and cheap ties....

It is the same all around the world except maybe Milan or Venice..

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
The average Londoner is not to SF's standards...

A lot of tracksuit,football shirts,designer gears with big logos and so on...

The average working man in London is like everywhere else in the world wearing ill-fitted sizes and cheap ties....

It is the same all around the world except maybe Milan or Venice..

Last time I was in Venice, I only saw merchants, gondoliers, and tourists. Perhaps it's different in the winter, but it wasn't the height of fashion. Mind you, there were a ton of nice shops.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say it has a higher proportion of well dressed gents, personally.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
In general I would say yes.

Even those chaps who work in the City and 'have' to dress smart generally do so more out of tradition and necessity rather than having any particular interest in sartorial matters IMO. Before I get shot down obviously there are exceptions.
wink.gif

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
Even those chaps who work in the City and 'have' to dress smart generally do so more out of tradition and necessity rather than having any particular interest in sartorial matters IMO. Before I get shot down obviously there are exceptions.
wink.gif

Some of the worst dressers I see are in fact those in the City - ties with top shirt button undone, badly fitting suits, odd buttoning on suit jackets etc.

I recently had to photograph a senior exec at a bank and asked him to adjust his tie. He said he had practically never worn one before. I was surprised to say the least.

Rolf

Reaction score
The average Joe of Britain I would say is scruffy - just like most other nations.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
The average man is very scruffy here, tracksuit, t-shirt, trainers. Having said that, wandering around London I often see very well dressed men indeed, they would fit right in here, even if a bit conservative. Winter is very fertile season for it, many coverts and chesterfields this year.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Topman rubbish.

They talk about the 'freedom' to wear what you want, but someone who is properly dressed will be frowned upon in certain quarters. I have decided that I don't give a damn about what other people wear and I wear what I like. I accept any compliments gratefully and dish them out when I mean them... and that's it. People at University (Bristol) accept it and some have started to smarten themselves up - I admit I can only really afford Uniqlo but I do buy stuff that most people think looks good, even if the snobs on here wouldn't, crisp shirts with minimum detail and their sports jackets are also nice - which can only be a good thing.

p_b

Reaction score
The real fact is that most of people are scruffy.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by p_b
The real fact is that most of people are scruffy.
With the amount of good Menswear Stores,in London.I think yes we are scruffy.But,I also think the Standards have changed-hence Peter Yorke talking about the Tie.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Topman rubbish.

They talk about the 'freedom' to wear what you want, but someone who is properly dressed will be frowned upon in certain quarters. I have decided that I don't give a damn about what other people wear and I wear what I like. I accept any compliments gratefully and dish them out when I mean them... and that's it. People at University (Bristol) accept it and some have started to smarten themselves up - I admit I can only really afford Uniqlo but I do buy stuff that most people think looks good, even if the snobs on here wouldn't, crisp shirts with minimum detail and their sports jackets are also nice - which can only be a good thing.

Too right. Smartness has nothing to do with money. When I was in my teens and early twenties and didn't have much dosh I would buy smart vintage & deadstock (unfortunately there were no real equivalents to the likes of Uniqlo back then but good vintage was plentiful). I also found a cheap but good tailor and would have suits, trousers etc made for less than the price of designer jeans or trainers.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fast fashion's obsession with sticking as many 'trends' and unnecessary details on one item as possible results in some pretty hideous garments, and the emphasis on constantly getting new clothes means considerations like fit go out of the window. Given the majority of younger people, and a fair number of people in their 40s and up get their clothes from 'fast fashion' shops UK casual dress is often not great. Add to that the pretty shabby interpretation of business casual most people wear to office jobs, yeah British men are fairly scruffy. Probably not a lot worse than most places though.

I don't think people should worry about how they dress if they don't care. I am a little sad that 'classic', or 'traditional' or whatever you want to call them, dress standards have been so eroded in most of the UK that if people do want to dress up the resources and knowledge they can easily access are not very good.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general they dress as ****** as everywhere else.

However, you do find the occasional gem, and when they are good, they are very, very good, better than anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads