• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
maybe the H&K USP compact.

Wouldn't recommend. I had one for a while. Stupid expensive to service. It felt quite comfortable in my hand but the kick was not fun compared to similar 9mms. Lots more muzzle rise, probably due to the higher axis the chamber sits on.

Spec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
Wouldn't recommend. I had one for a while. Stupid expensive to service. It felt quite comfortable in my hand but the kick was not fun compared to similar 9mms. Lots more muzzle rise, probably due to the higher axis the chamber sits on.

Not mention over time buying decent quality ammo if you plan to shoot at a range more often than not adds up over time.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
+ 1!

Maybe try the SA XD9 3.8, Ruger SR9C and Kahr 709 Slim.

I'm not too familiar with the XD 3.8, but I know their standard subcompact XD-M comes with the ability to use either compact or fullsize high capacity magazines (something I also like about the Ruger SR-9).

I have to second both of those recommendations.

When considering CCW, the OP has to consider what best fits their style of carry and lifestyle, as well as what best fits their hands. Prior to me obtaining my CHL, I would have probably not realized all the factors in selecting a firearm utilized for concealed carry.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
^

What's the doohickey mounted under the handgaurd?

Magpul AFG2 - I bought it on a whim, but I find it very comfortable to use as it lets my thumb ride on top of the rail behind the front sight.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, so many ARs!

milosz, the Sig looks very nice.

~ H

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Got a chance to shoot a Smith 500. All I can say is WOW!!! It's one helluva a mule but being on the other side would be much worse. The thing left friggin caves in the berm, not craters, not nice deep tunnels but caves!!

So after a bunch of homework and looking over loads I think my out hiking in the woods where bear live gun is solved. I'm going to go with a Smith 329PD 44 Mag loaded with Garrett 310 grain Hammerheads. My first requirement for this gun was weight. It had to be light carrying. At about 23 ounces it's light. Second concern was readily available ammo and hopefully one that could take two or more cartridges. That narrowed down the calibers to basically 45 LC 454 Casull or 44 Special 44 Mag. Both combos are good. You have a light recoiling practice round and the big stuff for hunting or anti eat you for dinner animal rounds. All said and done the good old 44 Mag won out.

The specs of the Garrett ammo is impressive. The light load made specifically for the light guns has a hair over 700 ft.lbs. of energy out of a four inch barrel. The heavy load generates almost 1K ft.lbs. out of a 4 inch gun. Either load has more than enough penetration to take out a bear reliably.

Of course the downside is it's going to have a very heavy and sharp recoil impulse but oh well that's part of the game.

You might look at the energy difference from the different loads when using a 6" barrell vs the 4" one. It does add a bit of weight and size. Power increase is pretty hefty though and may make it worthwhile as the stopping power from a smaller round from the longer barrell can get the job done for you. That extra 2" really does make an improvement.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
When considering CCW, the OP has to consider what best fits their style of carry and lifestyle, as well as what best fits their hands. Prior to me obtaining my CHL, I would have probably not realized all the factors in selecting a firearm utilized for concealed carry.

Good point. WHen I was researching my first concealed handgun, I assumed that a short barrel was essential for concealment. Once I started carrying inside the waistband, I found that barrel length wasn't a big issue - it was width and butt length that was making the biggest difference.

Originally Posted by milosz
Magpul AFG2 - I bought it on a whim, but I find it very comfortable to use as it lets my thumb ride on top of the rail behind the front sight.

Interesting. Kinda reminds me of shooting with an HK underslung 40mm grenade launcher - which is very hard!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charley
You might look at the energy difference from the different loads when using a 6" barrell vs the 4" one. It does add a bit of weight and size. Power increase is pretty hefty though and may make it worthwhile as the stopping power from a smaller round from the longer barrell can get the job done for you. That extra 2" really does make an improvement.

Charley, if they made the 329PD with a six inch barrel I would get it. Keep in mind my first priority was weight. This thing weighs 1.5 pounds. My six inch 629 weighs about 3 pounds. My 6 inch 19 which is the lightest 357Mag I own weighs a pound more than the 329PD. My favorite field gun is my 4 5/8 Ruger Blackhawk in 357. It weighs as much as my 629. You would think a pound of weight is no big deal but at the end of a long day in the field you feel it. One of my CCW guns is a Glock 26. I have no problems carrying it around all day long. I've carried it while fishing and hiking around my neck of the woods and the caliber is OK for most of what you'll run into around here. It weighs the same as a 329PD. So now I'm getting something that I can carry all day long without feeling like I have a brick strapped to my side in a caliber that'll knock down anything on the continent reliably.

Oh and just for an FYI. I use the Buffalo Bore heavy 357 Mag load with the 180 grain slug when hunting. I haven't recovered a slug yet from anything I've shot with it. It goes clean through and that includes shoulder shots on deer and head shots on pigs. I did some gelatin testing with these and it typically blows through 30 inches of the stuff when launched from my Ruger. That's the same kind of results that the Garrett 44 mag stuff generates out of the 329PD. I have no doubt that this 357 load would have any trouble stopping a bear attack.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For all the folks here who frequent firearms forums on teh Interwebz:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

NSFW (swearing)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glad I got my Saiga 12 when I did!

Izhmash has ceased production of small arms. All manufacturing will be transferred to Izhevsk Mechanical Works plant that makes "Baikal" brand rifles. This means Saiga rifles and shotguns will be built there as well, but chances are they will change the brand from Saiga to something else. As a side note, IzhMech lately in Russia got bad reputation for extremely poor quality products.

http://lenta.ru/news/2010/12/16/kalashnikovs/

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bummer, I kind of dug those. What does that mean for parts availability?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Bummer, I kind of dug those. What does that mean for parts availability?

I doubt the impact will be felt here for a while - there are lots of Saigas and parts here and in Russia right now. I guess parts will still be available (as will rifles and shotguns) - but made by the new manufacturers and possibly of lower quality.

I am about 5 hours away from completing my Saiga to AK12 conversion .... maybe this weekend!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still have a little work to do, but it's almost ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. BEFORE:
saiga12.jpg
AFTER:
imgp3356m.jpg
imgp3359x.jpg
For Xmas I'm hoping Santa will bring me an M9 bayonet and MD Arms 20rd drum for her!
smile.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the event that anyone else out there is looking for a no-lock S&W 642 with CT grips, this seems like a pretty damn good deal, especially given that the S&W $50 rebate runs through the end of the year. Edit: never mind, was $541 when I posted it. I've seen the bodyguard model as low as $425, but handled it again and still found the laser activation to be pretty cumbersome.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Built this for the next zombie apocalypse. In .308:

5266732512_b0ba5daec7_b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads