• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
stripe patterned white shirt ... yay or nay?
kcshirt.jpg

sorry not feeling it with that suit tie combo go with crisp white no pattern imo also dimple in tie needs work

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
sorry not feeling it with that suit tie combo go with crisp white no pattern imo also dimple in tie needs work
Thanks
I was on my way to the mall to return the shirt anyway
I had never heard of a tie dimple before browsing the forum starting a week ago so it's going to take me some practice

Duckelf

Reaction score
Navy Suit
White Shirt
Solid Burgundy Tie
Dark Brown Belt
Dark Brown Derby Shoes
White Pocket Square

Do you think this would work well for a university end of semester party? Should I wear I different colour tie? Have a tie with more of a pattern? Should I drop the pocket square?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duckelf
Navy Suit
White Shirt
Solid Burgundy Tie
Dark Brown Belt
Dark Brown Derby Shoes
White Pocket Square

Do you think this would work well for a university end of semester party? Should I wear I different colour tie? Have a tie with more of a pattern? Should I drop the pocket square?

In my university the end of semester party is done casual style. No one wears a suit to those. Might want to mention what style of university you are going to. Navy Suits are very conservative, suitable for interviews, very odd for parties.

Vecna

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying some OK leather gloves for 50-60 USD. I would be using them for driving and general gallivanting. They would be used for NY's winter in the 20s F. They don't have to be really thin, but I'd prefer if they were thin enough for fiddling around in pockets or handling a cigarette. I'm 6'3" so my hands are rather big, and fit is important to me. What do you advise?

Thanks.

Duckelf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
In my university the end of semester party is done casual style. No one wears a suit to those. Might want to mention what style of university you are going to. Navy Suits are very conservative, suitable for interviews, very odd for parties.
A suit would be suitable for this party, in fact a fair few people wear black tie/highland dress to this event. That is what I would have done but I could not find a decent dinner jacket in my price range, so I am going for the navy suit which will also be used for interviews later on. My flatmates are wearing black lounge suits to this event, although I am going with navy as I think that it is more versatile and classic. Do you think that a solid burgundy would work for such an event? What about a pocket square? Should I wear one? EDIT: There is a mention of the event on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow...on#Daft_Friday Although it is no longer much of a black tie event.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX

Depends on the school. When I was back in school, the holiday party was a (semi-)formal party. I got an invitation to come back as an alumni this year, and they explicitly state that no jeans, jacket required, formal wear encouraged.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
Anyone know the 40% J Press promo code they are listing on their site right now?

PSDEC10 but it only applies to a very limited number of items.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KimLee
Why don't I see black suede wingtips anywhere? I see brown, tan, dark brown, coffee, mink, otter, grey, blue, and everything except black! I even see black suede loafers, but no wingtips.

Is there something wrong or unfashionable about black suede wingtips?

I'm seriously considering buying these - I love the idea of black suede wingtips
!B6Ssw7wEWk~$(KGrHqF,!icEyeHlhgeuBMw7qupNK!~~0_3.JPG

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
I'm interested in buying some OK leather gloves for 50-60 USD. I would be using them for driving and general gallivanting. They would be used for NY's winter in the 20s F. They don't have to be really thin, but I'd prefer if they were thin enough for fiddling around in pockets or handling a cigarette. I'm 6'3" so my hands are rather big, and fit is important to me. What do you advise?

Thanks.

I advise that you do anything and everything you possibly can to stop smoking. It's not big or clever. I once had a Mam and a Dad but they were both smokers and both died of lung cancer. Just say no.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I advise that you do anything and everything you possibly can to stop smoking. It's not big or clever. I once had a Mam and a Dad but they were both smokers and both died of lung cancer. Just say no.

Not to gang up, but when I quit I read Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking." Worked for me.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is the general opinion of SF on THEORY brand clothing?
is it just like hugo boss? same quality, same price?
or better?

ohmy

Reaction score
Can this tweed jacket be worn casually during winter/spring? Or is this an autumn exclusive?

Hamish.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I would definitely wear it in winter. And maybe in early spring as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads