• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
obenaufs or sno-seal, but they probably won't look like that ^ afterward!

on a side note, I sent my boat shoes back to Quoddy to get them resoled, and just got the notice that they are shipping them back to me. $25, shipping back to me included, and it took no time at all.

they were also very friendly. i chose to call them rather than email, and it went really smooth.

Yeah I think they will darken the laether drastically. Want to preserve the color as much as possible.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
does anyone know how the soles hold up on these?

DSC_00112-500x332.jpg

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
Pair of Deck Chukka on the way:

6074051-origpic-749a0e.jpg_0_0_100_100_375_564_100.jpg

Wondering if anybody can recommend how I can protect these bad boys as I want to wear them in the snow...The leather is kinda of rubbery. Only stuff I have on hand is the heavy duty obensauf which im sure will wreck these...

Bump anybody else have these and put some sort of protector on it? Would like to avoid the darkening. Thanks

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
DSC_00112-500x332.jpg

Can't comment on this, but this is exactly why I've stayed away from these. Crepe soles can be nice (I'm wearing my crepe wedge sole Yuketen's now), but they get dirty and mucky pretty quickly. Now, considering you will be taking these in the field, or at the very least wearing them in the rain or snow, I think they would get ugly/dirty pretty quickly. I'm more inclined to stick to a Vibram sole or camp sole on boots. Just my opinion - obviously if we were out hunting/stalking ducks it would be a different story but I don't think most of us here are using these for their true purpose.

constantine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
If you were a quoddy owner for years you'd know that they changed their sizing to run true in the past year and a half or so.

this is false. i asked them about this the last time i called...

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123

DSC_00112-500x332.jpg

I have the slightly lower boots - Grizzly - but the crepe soles do get dirty fast - if that maters to you (not to me) and don't think they would last too long on if worn on sidewalks.
As a bit of sidenote, I went on a hike on some trails a few weeks ago and these boots offer superb grip, but not much ankle support and you still feel those rocks. I would way prefer other boots for hiking.

Bob

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm
I have the slightly lower boots - Grizzly - but the crepe soles do get dirty fast - if that maters to you (not to me) and don't think they would last too long on if worn on sidewalks.
As a bit of sidenote, I went on a hike on some trails a few weeks ago and these boots offer superb grip, but not much ankle support and you still feel those rocks. I would way prefer other boots for hiking.

Bob

That's the deal with these. I think they are currently finding a market to be worn fashionably, but I just don't think I could get the use out of them they deserve unless I had a hobby of hunting, bird watching, or otherwise observing nature with a quiet stride. Nice to know they are no good for hiking, I pretty much assumed that but I'm glad to hear a review.

I don't think I could get away with wearing these in the urban environment I dwell in, though I do get great use of my Yuketen crepe wedge Angler Moc's. Cool boots, though.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
this is false. i asked them about this the last time i called...

This is false.

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
That's the deal with these. I think they are currently finding a market to be worn fashionably, but I just don't think I could get the use out of them they deserve unless I had a hobby of hunting, bird watching, or otherwise observing nature with a quiet stride. Nice to know they are no good for hiking, I pretty much assumed that but I'm glad to hear a review.

I don't think I could get away with wearing these in the urban environment I dwell in, though I do get great use of my Yuketen crepe wedge Angler Moc's. Cool boots, though.

Yep, not on any hiking on anything other than soft ground. They are getting fashionable though.
And I can't imagine any amount of sealer would make these boots (with their large stiching) waterproof.

Bob

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm
I have the slightly lower boots - Grizzly - but the crepe soles do get dirty fast - if that maters to you (not to me) and don't think they would last too long on if worn on sidewalks. As a bit of sidenote, I went on a hike on some trails a few weeks ago and these boots offer superb grip, but not much ankle support and you still feel those rocks. I would way prefer other boots for hiking. Bob
thanks for your input on the soles.

QuartBernstein

Reaction score
Bump anybody else have these and put some sort of protector on it? Would like to avoid the darkening. Thanks
Quoddy's Moccasins have an organic waterproofer made of beeswax and bear fat may do the trick. The Russel Moccasin website has an extensive guide on caring for leather shoe's. So on second thought, i'm sure if you deliver the company an e-mail that they will give you the best answer, including, whether it's possible or not. Edit: It's actually Quoddy that has the Organic Waterproofer, my mistake; however Russel's website does have option's on leather care. Shoot either company an e-mail though and I bet you'll get the answer. Russell may have as much help as their shoe's are created for hunting purposes.

QuartBernstein

Reaction score
I was also looking into the Grizzly or Woodsman Boot, but i'm unable to say for sure if Quoddy's mishaps in quality are universal or in a few orders.

I don't feel any census will be made if we have people shooting positive and negative reviews without comparing.
Can someone give an overall experience?

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pair of Deck Chukka on the way:

6074051-origpic-749a0e.jpg_0_0_100_100_375_564_100.jpg

Wondering if anybody can recommend how I can protect these bad boys as I want to wear them in the snow...The leather is kinda of rubbery. Only stuff I have on hand is the heavy duty obensauf which im sure will wreck these...

Emailed quoddy about the above boot, they said:

He did not recommend a brand other than to make sure that it does not include Wax...

A swatch of Gaucho Crazyweather is on it's way..

Take Care,

Austin

Anybody know a good protector that doesn't have wax? obensauf heavy duty is made up of beeswax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads