• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Grabbed one locally today. The thing is gorgeous and the workmanship is superb. The hardware and other materials are top drawer. And, yes, it does fit a 15" MacBook Pro in a Incase neoprene sleeve.
smile.gif

Third picture is best rep of tan colour. Love it. Thx to SF for inspiring and directing yet another purchase.

filson1.jpg

filson2.jpg

filson3.jpg

filson4.jpg

I ordered the 256, should I have gotten the 257?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 256 and my brother has the 257, both are nice, but I like the 256 myself. I don't need to carry a ton, my laptop in a neoprene sleeve, a couple file folders, a small notebook, pens, checkbook, etc. all fit well in the 256. I've even used it as an overnight bag a couple times, it's surprisingly capacious when you need it to be. The 257 is great for a student, which is what my brother bought it for, who needs to carry a laptop and a few books maybe, but for my everyday carry to work bag the 256 has been the right choice.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an email from eBags the other day offering 30% off...and for once, the discount worked for Filson! (single use or I would have shared)

Was going back and forth over whether to purchase a Pullman (243). At 30% off the price was similar to a Red Oxx carry on. Filson looks cooler, but Red Oxx is probably more functional. After some searching I found this pic, which pretty much sealed the deal:

FILSONPULLMAN_BLOG.jpg

(Even though mine will never look like that...the 257 I've used daily for the past 8 months could almost pass as new).

davidko

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy the Filson Western Mackinaw vest, and I'm a little unsure about sizing. I know Filson usually fits on the large side, so being about a 38 jacket, would I be better off with a small or a medium? I'm about six feet tall, but 170 lbs ish. Any opinions, or anyone have experience or fit pics with this item?

eightdouble

Reaction score
i carried a 15" macbook pro in this bag (edit: 258) for a long while, but that's about the biggest computer you could get in this. it was always kind of annoying to get in and out, so when they came out with the 13" macbook pro i got one of those. there are few bags nice enough that they make someone choose a computer to fit it, instead of the other way around.
IMG_0095.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got filson dry tin pants and a zippered tote, dope stuff.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
i carried a 15" macbook pro in this bag (256) for a long while, but that's about the biggest computer you could get in this. it was always kind of annoying to get in and out, so when they came out with the 13" macbook pro i got one of those. there are few bags that make one chose a computer to fit it, instead of the other way around.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMG_0095.jpg

Isn't that a 258 (and not a 256)?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crossposted from the Filson thread over at MC.
Here are some images pictures showing the carrying capacity of 256, 257 and the 258 for those who have a hard time deciding between the three.

Filson 256:

This briefcase is not padded. Official dimensions are 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 4" D.

nEecA.jpg

Filson 256 with a 15" macbook and a couple of folders and small accesories:
CNU78.jpg

Filson 257:

This briefcase is not padded either, but it is better if you carry a laptop everyday. Has plenty of space and is well compartmentalized. Official dimensions are 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 6" D.

anfTy.jpg

Io2HH.jpg

With a 13" macbook inside (and other items):
ctTDh.jpg

With a 15" macbook pro:
ahN6x.jpg

Filson 258:

This has a padded laptop compartment but doesn't necessarily have a higher carrying capacity than than the 257. It definitely looks bigger. Official dimensions are: 16 1/2" W x 14" H x 7 1/2" D. First pic is from the Filson website clearly showing the size of the bag.

70258-alt-3.jpg

pGGxa.jpg

i88em.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads