• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

streetminimal

Reaction score
What spin of wool is good for the summer? 110? 120?? I don't know a lot about this stuff

JacobJacob

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a drop of olive oil on my favorite silk tie. I tried to remove the stain by dapping it with a slightly wet napkin. In my eager attempt I also added a little bit of washing up liquid on the napkin as well. Unfortunately, none of this helped. The spotis now bigger (but maybe slightly less visible).
My question is, what shoulds I do now?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rankiz
I'm 173 cm tall, or 5' 8.1" ft. I really want this coat, but I am unsure if it fit's. As my measurement around my chest is 32 inches, but the sizing guide says the coat chest is 38 inches. How come? Since the sleeves seems to fit me. Can I use this coat?

This will be way too big, if your chest is 32 inches then you need size 32, not size 38. You might be able to get away with a very slim 36, but 38 will just look ridiculous. Trust me, my chest is 33" so I have the same problem. Also it does not say that the coat chest is 38 inches, the coat is to fit a chest of 38", which means the actual chest measurement of the coat will likely be around 40-42 inches, almost 10 inches larger than your actual chest.

Unfortunately sizes as small as you need are almost impossible to find. You should be able to find places that do size 34 if you look hard enough; your only other option is to get stuff made to measure (or bespoke).

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Does Brooks Brothers usually have a 50% off sale during christmas? I've been waiting to get my first suit, and I think a fitzgerald would be nice, but at the retail price of $1000 I don't really want to get it

Yes, you can expect a big BB sale usually just after Xmas if I remember correctly.

If not, there's always pretty fair sales popping up from them.

I would get your email address on their list by registring at their site.....they aren't too overwhelming with their emails but I do find the sale notifications helpful.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
What spin of wool is good for the summer? 110? 120?? I don't know a lot about this stuff
In the "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread near the top of this forum is at least one link to a thread or article explaining wool super numbers. You should read that. Short answer: super numbers have nothing to do with fabric weight.

Gent

Reaction score
Regarding Holland & Sherry and purchasing cloth over eBay.

Browsing eBay, I stumbled upon a suiting I by H&S in a style I'm interested in. Had a look at the vendor's shop. They were selling cloth from a H&S bunch called Snowy Mountain. Now, I'd heard of Snowy River, and even have a suit in one fabric, but this was new to me. Had a google, searched here, looked at the H&S website: all to no avail. Found no mention of H&S Snowy Mountain anywhere, yet here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLLAND-SHERRY...item3a60d7a55b

Is this seller legit? Has H&S ever had a Snowy Mountain? The cloth I'm looking at is (supposedly) from the Intercity bunch, so this isn't an issue with the cloth I'm looking at as much as it is one of the seller's integrity. He has a lot of feedback, near 100% positive, but this is different: I'm not worried he won't send the stuff, I'm worried it's cheap crap instead of H&S. The cloth I'm interested in doesn't display a selvedge, though it supposedly has one. The price is good.

Buy / run?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JacobJacob
Yesterday I got a drop of olive oil on my favorite silk tie. I tried to remove the stain by dapping it with a slightly wet napkin. In my eager attempt I also added a little bit of washing up liquid on the napkin as well. Unfortunately, none of this helped. The spotis now bigger (but maybe slightly less visible).
My question is, what shoulds I do now?

Cover the spot with baking soda and let it sit overnight. The baking soda will draw out the oil. I don't know if it will work because of the soap you put on there as well, but I have taken out olive oil with this method.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
This may seem ridiculous but is a legitimate question.

Why are decent pocket squares and scarves so expensive? I don't feel there is enough material or labor is making them to justify it. Some of them can run as expensive as ties or sweaters of comparable quality! Am I missing something?

KimLee

Reaction score
Why don't I see black suede wingtips anywhere? I see brown, tan, dark brown, coffee, mink, otter, grey, blue, and everything except black! I even see black suede loafers, but no wingtips.

Is there something wrong or unfashionable about black suede wingtips?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion

Why are decent pocket squares and scarves so expensive? I don't feel there is enough material or labor is making them to justify it. Some of them can run as expensive as ties or sweaters of comparable quality! Am I missing something?

the fabric certainly plays a part but in the end any company will charge what the maket can bear a company with more brand value gets more for their product while the opposte is also true even if the quality is equal

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion

I agree with the sentiment but not with the word 'decent'. I think you can get decent Kent Wang pocket squares in a variety of colours both silk and linen for about $20. I wouldn't pay much more than that for one no matter the colour or alleged quality.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
the fabric certainly plays a part but in the end any company will charge what the maket can bear a company with more brand value gets more for their product while the opposte is also true even if the quality is equal

Translation: enough idiots will pay that much, so they'll charge that much. See: SW&D.

Rankiz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
This will be way too big, if your chest is 32 inches then you need size 32, not size 38. You might be able to get away with a very slim 36, but 38 will just look ridiculous. Trust me, my chest is 33" so I have the same problem. Also it does not say that the coat chest is 38 inches, the coat is to fit a chest of 38", which means the actual chest measurement of the coat will likely be around 40-42 inches, almost 10 inches larger than your actual chest.

Unfortunately sizes as small as you need are almost impossible to find. You should be able to find places that do size 34 if you look hard enough; your only other option is to get stuff made to measure (or bespoke).

Thanks, I've seen that the Polo academy coat have a chest measurement of 34-36 in small, might the most suitable for me.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads