• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Duffel bag sale $199! (see page 2)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is expensive even though it is on clearance. However, today and tomorrow everything is 15-20% (depending on method of payment). I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this bag and if you think it is worth it.

I'm tired of my trusty Samsonite roll-on and I want something stylish and that does not resemble a flight attendant.

Opinions and coments are welcome!

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Yes, it is expensive even though it is on clearance.

I'm definitely not big-time enough to spend $1000, or $800, on that.

Coldcava

Reaction score
Looks busy and could be a little heavy.. I personally like the Hartman Intensity line, and it has a different look than most bags and is rerally well made.

Taxler

Reaction score
I have the suitcase version of this, but we didn't buy it for travel. It sits on top of an armoire and gets used for storage of out-of-season clothing. It looks great, but the finish is probably too delicate for use as actual luggage. It probably wouldn't fall apart, but unless you go out of your way to pamper it, it wouldn't look good after a few trips.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldcava
Looks busy and could be a little heavy.. I personally like the Hartman Intensity line, and it has a different look than most bags and is rerally well made.

Links on where to buy?

Taxler, I would never check this bag. It would definately be carry-on only and thus damagewould be minimal.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks nice but not worth 1K...

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to spend that much, you might as well get a Globe Trotter or Lotuff & Clegg.

clr_chestnut-signature-duffle-leather-bag__25562_std.jpg

0002h.jpg

bild2.jpg

Though, really, carrying any of that just seems like the quickest way to advertise that you have expensive stuff inside for people to steal. I wouldn't advise traveling with stuff like this.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on where you are traveling. If you are stylish then why would you want to drag around a bag that you bought at TJ Max. I have no idea what the bags cost that you posted, but I don't think that $700 is rediculous especially since most peoples shoes on this forum cost more then that.

That Lotuff & Clegg is beautiful and reasonably priced. However, how would you travel with a suit?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
It depends on where you are traveling. If you are stylish then why would you want to drag around a bag that you bought at TJ Max. I have no idea what the bags cost that you posted, but I don't think that $700 is rediculous especially since most peoples shoes on this forum cost more then that. That Lotuff & Clegg is beautiful and reasonably priced. However, how would you travel with a suit?
I suppose you could get a nice carry on, but I still would always like to have the option of checking in my luggage. You just never know what comes up when traveling, and I wouldn't want to be worried about whether my bag will be stolen or ruffled through. There's no reason to sacrifice convenience and functionality for style; the point of luxury is that you should be able to have both. For that reason, it seems like middle-tier bags are much more sensible, at least in terms of travel luggage. The world isn't made up of Globe Trotter and TJ Maxx alone. Filson, Hartmann, and Briggs & Riley all make fine understated and unconscious luggage. With every day bags, of course, you can splurge. Just seems like there are other important considerations with luggage. As for suits, there are luggage garment bags. I don't have a recommendation for those, but you can get them at any luggage store. They're not going to be super stylish, however. The alternative is to pack like this http://putthison.com/post/875706466/...raveling-whats There is a thread in the forum for sellers. It's about how to pack items up for shipment. In there, there is a more detailed description of how to do what PTO explained. If you can't seem to get it from PTO's post, maybe you can look up that thread. Also, to give you ballpark prices - the Clegg stuff runs about $700ish and the Globe Trotters are around $1200-1400ish. The Globe Trotters are incredibly study. They're made of vulcan fibre. The company once put a 1 ton elephant on one of their luggages to demonstrate its strength. That was back in the early 1900s too, I believe, and the demonstration took place in Hamburg.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my last job I was a consultant; taking 2-6 flights a week you learn very quickly to NEVER check your bag.

Now, I travel less often, but I still never check my bag unless I am going to be there for 30+days. Usually, I stay for a feel or two and have the hotel lander what is necessary. I guess there is the option of just wearing the jacket with the Clegg bag.

The other stuff, while beautiful, is just not my style. Maybe in 30 years...

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
It is a nice looking bag but I wouldn't spend that much money on polyester and rayon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads