• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lateness/tardiness policies...

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't see a problem until you mentioned that he leaves for breakfast after arriving late to work. With a start time of 9 a.m., I'm not sure how you couldn't squeeze breakfast into your agenda prior to going on the clock.

It's a struggle for me to get to work by 8 a.m. each morning, but the few times I've had to go in at 9 a.m. have been an entirely different story. That hour makes all the difference for me. I'm something of a troll when I get up early enough to make it to work by 8 a.m. I'm a fuckin' delight if I get that extra hour, though.

I usually don't sweat coming in 10-15 minutes late, though, since most of my co-workers make a daily coffee run an hour into the workday, anyway.

tj100

Reaction score
For most roles, it's ultimately about output, not input (acknowledging that in some cases, like a production line, output and input are directly related).

I don't really care if someone on my team shows up an hour late every day if their work product consistently meets or exceeds expectations. Likewise, I don't care if somebody works 80 hours a week - if their work product consistently underperforms, they're going on a PIP.

If everybody has clear goals and they're meeting them, it shouldn't matter how much effort they're putting in. Your issue seems to be one of underperformance, rather than one of effort.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Flex time all the way. The best job I ever had let me show up any time between 8:30 and 9:30 and leave 8 hours later. Employee gratitude = productivity.
Agreed. As long as deadlines are being met with work that exceeds client expectations on a consistent basis, who cares.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just expand his workload to the point that he cant do it anymore if he doesnt show up in time. If he allready lacks, which it sounds like, ass ----> street.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why is this so difficult? If you want him to be responsible for the hours he's working, either A) dock his pay for the time that he has missed during the day or B) make him work an equivalent x amount of hours i.e. he was late 30 minutes then he's got to stay late for 30 minutes.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a zero tolerance policy for lateness. If I can wake ****** up, beat the traffic and the elements and get there at the sound of the bell ready to go, so can you.

Every place I have worked, the chronic latecomers never advanced.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I have a zero tolerance policy for lateness. If I can wake ****** up, beat the traffic and the elements and get there at the sound of the bell ready to go, so can you.

My thoughts exactly.

Monaco

Reaction score
Make it so nobody starts work (or gets paid for it) until every employee makes it to the office, I don't know if it is legal to hold everyones time like that but peer pressure will set him straight very quickly.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
Make it so nobody starts work (or gets paid for it) until every employee makes it to the office, I don't know if it is legal to hold everyones time like that but peer pressure will set him straight very quickly.
That's pretty good
biggrin.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked for a startup custom automotive shop, from inception to change of ownership. The workday started at 8am, I was usually 15 minutes early and while the day officially 'ended' at 4:30 it usually ended anytime from 6:30 to 8.

The position I was in allowed me to hire a few interns and they were all pretty excited to be there and had no issues with the schedule. Some of the experienced hires did have issues with the schedule and they quickly found out that working for a startup wasnt for them.

Some of the guys were late for personal reasons, that's fine as long as it isnt just late for the sake of being late.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For every minute he is late, make him row the slave ship for an extra 10 minutes. And cut back on his food rations for gods sake!

laugh.gif

Personally, i'd say it depends on field. I'm paranoid that some system will crash if i'm late, so i try not to be, but i'm often doing work late at night and my boss knows it so i don't worry about it too much either. I also don't really take my lunches.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I can wake ****** up, beat the traffic and the elements and get there at the sound of the bell ready to go, so can you.

/thread

some of you guys need to start implementing "blue collar
sarcasm.gif
" policies. ive worked at places where you had a 5 min grace period. after that it was a point. x amount of points in a week, month, and year would equal suspension/termination. what spoo said is 100% correct, except for the zero tolerance part. i dont care for ZT policies.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
laugh.gif
Personally, i'd say it depends on field. I'm paranoid that some system will crash if i'm late, so i try not to be, but i'm often doing work late at night and my boss knows it so i don't worry about it too much either. I also don't really take my lunches.

Thank god for doggie bags.

Reaction score

Every place I have worked, the chronic latecomers never advanced.

Agreed. In my line of work if I show up late I get fined. With that type of policy I can assure you they will show up on time. Now I know this will only work in the military, but it sure changed my ways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads