• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are gonna count #4, you might as well count all the other random shell colors that other people get from Horween.

navy, brandy, gunmetal, green, etc

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
i know i may catch some flack for this, but there is something different about pulling a fast one on the guys at unionmade! then there is on say a big company like j.crew! a good group of guys, running a top notch men's store...if they wanted to offer a discount on their alden's they would have! to try and find a loop hole with them, uncool!

No offense, but this is a perfect example of how morality or ethics can be so readily cheapened. You can describe union guys as a "good group of guys" only because a level of intimacy can be had where it is more to difficult to get at jcrew - who have, I'm sure, a no less cool group of people, if you were to get to know them. So the onus is on how you can practice your ethics just because you are seen or relatively anonymous. If you don't want to do it to union, you shouldn't do it to anyone.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
if you are gonna count #4, you might as well count all the other random shell colors that other people get from Horween.

navy, brandy, gunmetal, green, etc

Hmmm...I was joking around about #4, but a navy shell longwing is an idea I could get behind. The rest of the shades, meh. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Hmmm...I was joking around about #4, but a navy shell longwing is an idea I could get behind. The rest of the shades, meh. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?
those other colors tend to show up with smaller shoe makers in really small runs. also you see Vass with cognac and other colors...mostly they are all just fancy names for various shades of brown
wink.gif
link to some colors

phantomx48

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish Alden would get behind the blue leather that Horween puts out. I think it would be an awesome color on more than one pair of Alden's.

darnold

Reaction score
I think someone ought to do a "dress" Indy shoe. Something like this:

Dark brown chromexcel
Barrie/Plaza
Machine stitched moc toe, self colored stitching, #2410 rear quarter stitching detail
Close heel dress welt
Blind eyelets
Light antique edgetrim
Double waterlock sole w/ footbalance heel
Flat waxed laces

Thoughts?

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnold
I think someone ought to do a "dress" Indy shoe. Something like this:

Dark brown chromexcel
Barrie/Plaza
Machine stitched moc toe, self colored stitching, #2410 rear quarter stitching detail
Close heel dress welt
Blind eyelets
Light antique edgetrim
Double waterlock sole w/ footbalance heel
Flat waxed laces

Thoughts?

The Indy shoe is ugly. No offense.

harrythedog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
No offense, but this is a perfect example of how morality or ethics can be so readily cheapened. You can describe union guys as a "good group of guys" only because a level of intimacy can be had where it is more to difficult to get at jcrew - who have, I'm sure, a no less cool group of people, if you were to get to know them. So the onus is on how you can practice your ethics just because you are seen or relatively anonymous. If you don't want to do it to union, you shouldn't do it to anyone.
i agree with both you and horsehide! it;s not cool with unionmade, j crew or anyone!

darnold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
The Indy shoe is ugly. No offense.
I suspect a large part of the reason why people might think this is: A) Trubalance doesn't translate well to an oxford B) The neoprene sole takes over (in a not so good way) in an oxford I don't see any reason why an apron toe blucher can't be done well and be a damn fine lookin' shoe. Support for my case: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...-cigar-u-tips/

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
i agree with both you and horsehide! it;s not cool with unionmade, j crew or anyone!

I don't know that I agree with this. I bought a pair of Alden Cordovan captoe boots from J Crew using their 20% off catalog coupon. Notably, the coupon did not specify whether Aldens were excluded from the discount.

When I first added the boots to my cart and entered the discount code, no discount appeared. However, when I later placed additional items in my cart, the site gave me the discount. To this day, I do not really know if I "got away with something" or whether J Crew had intentionally coded their website to permit such a discount.

Knowing that this ambiguity existed, was it "not cool" or morally depraved of me to buy the boots at the discounted rate? Nonsense. In the end, J Crew is a business-savvy retailer that employs marketers and computer programmers to implement their sales models on the company's website. When I walk into a J Crew store and see a pair of Levi's 501s for $19.99 (which occurred just last month), I assume that the the sophisticated business people at J Crew know their margins and are not going to put their store out of business to give me cheap jeans. Likewise, when they give me a 20% off coupon that seems too good to be true, I have to assume that they know what they are doing --- like trying to attract my business by offering a great discount. Part of the reason I purchased the boots from J Crew and not the wonderful folks at LeatherSoul or Leffot was precisely because I could get them for such a great price.

To me it's a question of basic consumer economics, and not one that has all that much to do with marketplace morality.

And by the way, I love the J Crew captoe boots. I've just about dislocated my arm shining them and now they look absolutely gorgeous!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
I don't know that I agree with this. I bought a pair of Alden Cordovan captoe boots from J Crew using their 20% off catalog coupon. Notably, the coupon did not specify whether Aldens were excluded from the discount. When I first added the boots to my cart and entered the discount code, no discount appeared. However, when I later placed additional items in my cart, the site gave me the discount. To this day, I do not really know if I "got away with something" or whether J Crew had intentionally coded their website to permit such a discount. Knowing that this ambiguity existed, was it "not cool" or morally depraved of me to buy the boots at the discounted rate? Nonsense. In the end, J Crew is a business-savvy retailer that employs marketers and computer programmers to implement their sales models on the company's website. When I walk into a J Crew store and see a pair of Levi's 501s for $19.99 (which occurred just last month), I assume that the the sophisticated business people at J Crew know their margins and are not going to put their store out of business to give me cheap jeans. Likewise, when they give me a 20% off coupon that seems too good to be true, I have to assume that they know what they are doing --- like trying to attract my business by offering a great discount. Part of the reason I purchased the boots from J Crew and not the wonderful folks at LeatherSoul or Leffot was precisely because I could get them for such a great price. To me it's a question of basic consumer economics, and not one that has all that much to do with marketplace morality. And by the way, I love the J Crew captoe boots. I've just about dislocated my arm shining them and now they look absolutely gorgeous!
you are assuming too much - basically that these companies are run by robots who never make unintended mistakes. I work in loyalty marketing and have seen a # of errors over the years - promotions going to the wrong people, with the wrong terms, with the wrong dates, at the wrong time, ect etc etc. I am not talking about bad ideas, but about a promotion being drawn up by a senior employee and then effed up by someone else. mistakes happen, particularly b/c the nuts and bolts of promotions are most often being executed by junior employees. "computer programmers" rarely touch ad hoc promotions like this, it's marketing analysts, copy writers, email execution people, etc. now, you can make a case that taking advantage of this mistake is ok. but don't always assume that a pair of Levi's marked down to $.01 is that way on purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads