• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-cut jacket sleeve buttonholes

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my issue: I just got three new cotton jackets and they have pre-cut buttonholes. What's the problem, you ask? The problem is that the sleeves are too long.

I know this is a lot to post, but remember, we're talking about three jackets, which I really like. So I want to make sure I make the right decisions.

Photo134-1.jpg

Photo133.jpg

Photo131.jpg

(Please excuse my posture and really anything beside the sleeve lengths.)

Now, of the jackets, two are the same (one black and one stone). These have one functional buttonhole per sleeve:

Photo135-2.jpg

photo13-2.jpg

photo12-2.jpg

Since the button is functional, I can't really adjust the sleeve length much (beside at the shoulder"”which I'm not interested in doing). So that really leaves me with three option. My first option is to keep the cuff turned up, which I believe jackets with such sleeve cuffs are meant to be worn:

photo18-1.jpg

The problem with that is that it leaves me with no option other than to keep my cuff turned up, and I don't like that. I want to be able to keep it down when the occasion calls for it.

Another option is to fold the cuff over, up to the point of the button and keep the button on the edge of the sleeve:

photo14-3.jpg

photo9-5.jpg

Final option is just to turn the cuff all the way in and forget any sleeve buttons altogether:

photo10-4.jpg

Problem is that I like sleeve buttons (especially these cool functional flip-over buttons)....

Let me know which option you'd choose.

So much for those two jackets.

Now, I got another jacket that has traditional sleeve buttons. Problem us that these sleeves are too long as well:

Photo131.jpg

Why can't I just shorten them, you ask? Because (I think*) they have pre-cut buttonholes. So, this leaves me with really only one option, which is making the buttonholes functional and then turning back the cuff on these as well:

Photo132.jpg

The problem with doing that is, first of all, as with the other jackets, I don't want to have to turn it up. it's a cool style in the right mood and with the right outfit, but I don't want to be wedded to it. Second, it gives a casual jacket an even more casual look, which I don't want to push. The gray lining just makes it worse:

photo7-7.jpg

What do you suggest I do about this?

*It is possible that the buttonholes aren't pre-cut at all. I don't know how to tell considering that they're closed. Maybe you can advise: is this just exterior stitching (in which case, the stitching can be removed and the buttons adjusted upward), or is the fabric itself cut?

photo17-2.jpg

photo16-2.jpg

photo8-5.jpg

I'd appreciate any and all advice you can offer!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
*It is possible that the buttonholes aren't pre-cut at all. I don't know how to tell considering that they're closed.

If they were cut it would be pretty obvious; they look like they aren't.

As for the ones with working cuffs, you pretty much have no other choice than to shorten them from the shoulder. The amount you need to take off will get way too close to the buttons if taken off the cuff. Folding back your cuffs is an affectation that should be used sparingly, you do not want three jackets that cannot be worn without folding the cuffs back...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good tailor can take it up from the shoulder.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't pre cut but they are able to be made functional and I don't think you can move their placement. I would suggest shelling out the money to get the shoulders done. I know you dont want to, but you're going to ruin those jackets trying to do the impossible. This problem isn't unique to you, and you are against it's only solution. Reconsider.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tl, dr

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If they were cut it would be pretty obvious; they look like they aren't.

As for the ones with working cuffs, you pretty much have no other choice than to shorten them from the shoulder. The amount you need to take off will get way too close to the buttons if taken off the cuff. Folding back your cuffs is an affectation that should be used sparingly, you do not want three jackets that cannot be worn without folding the cuffs back...

I don't want to move the shoulder. This jacket was an absolute bargain, and that's part of the pride I'm taking in it! And I hear ya about turning back the cuffs"”that's why I wrote I like the option, but most contexts don't call for it.

Originally Posted by ter1413
A good tailor can take it up from the shoulder.

eh.gif

Originally Posted by landshark
They aren't pre cut but they are able to be made functional and I don't think you can move their placement. I would suggest shelling out the money to get the shoulders done. I know you dont want to, but you're going to ruin those jackets trying to do the impossible. This problem isn't unique to you, and you are against it's only solution. Reconsider.

I hear ya. Thing about that jacket in particular (the blue one) is that it has pickstitching everywhere including, of course, the armholes. The stitching matches everywhere, with the same type of stitch, thread, etc. Moving it around will kill the jacket.

Originally Posted by TRINI
tl, dr

English?

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, I asked here whether these jackets are seasonal. I don't want to mix the discussion (this forrum is bad enough about tangents as is), so I kept them separate. But I would like to know your opinion there. Thanks!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
too long, done reading?

too long, didn't read.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't want to move the shoulder. This jacket was an absolute bargain, and that's part of the pride I'm taking in it! And I hear ya about turning back the cuffs"”that's why I wrote I like the option, but most contexts don't call for it.

eh.gif

I hear ya. Thing about that jacket in particular (the blue one) is that it has pickstitching everywhere including, of course, the armholes. The stitching matches everywhere, with the same type of stitch, thread, etc. Moving it around will kill the jacket.

English?

??? Then walk around with sleeves that are too long....

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like the tzitzis part of the outfit

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
??? Then walk around with sleeves that are too long....

I'll take in the shoulder if I must, but I'd like to foreclose the other possibilities first. What do you all think of this "” If I fold the sleeve, as per picture ten, and then cut a buttonhole into the remaining inch or so of the cuff opening and readjust the button as well...?

Originally Posted by in stitches
i like the tzitzis part of the outfit

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by hendrix
this is pretty dumb.

C'mon, I'm sure you relate a little...

As for the blue one"”any advice? If the buttonholes aren't cut through, will undoing them and moving the buttons higher leave marks (as any alterations on cotton materials usually do)?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take in the shoulder if I must, but I'd like to foreclose the other possibilities first. What do you all think of this "” If I fold the sleeve, as per picture ten, and then cut a buttonhole into the remaining inch or so of the cuff opening and readjust the button as well...?

fistbump.gif

C'mon, I'm sure you relate a little...

As for the blue one"”any advice? If the buttonholes aren't cut through, will undoing them and moving the buttons higher leave marks (as any alterations on cotton materials usually do)?

Those look like lightweight cotton or cotton/linen fabrics.

Removing buttonholes will leave a distinct mark.

Take it up from the shoulder.

If there is fancy stitching on the shoulder already, either your tailor can superhumanly reuse every hole left by the previous thread or else....you're screwed....maybe it was no bargain after all.

Fancy buttonholes, whether working or no, are both stupid and very common on RTW coats nowadays.

Not much more to say.

ffffuuuu.gif

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Fancy buttonholes, whether working or no, are both stupid and very common on RTW coats nowadays.
ffffuuuu.gif

+1. I'll never figure out why they do this... (BTW, what's RTW?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads