• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to buy my own first suit

iamjammin

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a senior in high school and I've been reading around the message boards for a while but have never posted anything, but today I finally have my own question.

I was just admitted to two colleges (and hopefully will be admitted to more as a grow closer to making a decision about where to go) and as a reward for what I think is a notable part of my life, I would like to buy myself a great first suit. Now, of course I've had suits before, but they weren't great suits because for most of my life I've been growing and what 14 year-old needs a really nice suit? But now that I'm done growing, and I am anr adult, I feel like its time to have a nice suit, and I feel it's important that I get it for myself.

So, where to start? I think I would most like a blue suit. I have a gray suit. It still fits, and decently well. Anyway, I've always thought that dark blue suits are the best looking.

My jacket size is about a 42L. On the money front, I can't spend a ton of money, but I have a job and make decent money for a teenager and this is something important to me so I'm willing to slap down a few paychecks for it. I suppose the obstacle is not a price, but my discipline not to "accidentally" spend some of the money while I'm saving up for the suit.

What brands should I look at? What should I avoid? Did anyone have a similar situation? What was your own first suit (does thinking about your first suit bring back memories)?

All help is appreciated and I know from other posts that I can get good advice here. Oh and I can answer any questions that might help you all make better answers for me.

Thanks

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I suggest you wait a little bit longer before purchasing your suit, as you mentioned you already have one that fits decently well. Even though that puberty is just about done and dusted, the transition from high school to college also likely to mean a big lifestyle change and that certainly can affect your body.

Navy blue suit is great by the way.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
many college graduates don't even own a suit, you don't really need 2.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
many college graduates don't even own a suit, you don't really need 2.

This.
Wait a little before you spend some $ on a new one.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin
Hello,

I'm a senior in high school and I've been reading around the message boards for a while but have never posted anything, but today I finally have my own question.

I was just admitted to two colleges (and hopefully will be admitted to more as a grow closer to making a decision about where to go) and as a reward for what I think is a notable part of my life, I would like to buy myself a great first suit. Now, of course I've had suits before, but they weren't great suits because for most of my life I've been growing and what 14 year-old needs a really nice suit? But now that I'm done growing, and I am anr adult, I feel like its time to have a nice suit, and I feel it's important that I get it for myself.

So, where to start? I think I would most like a blue suit. I have a gray suit. It still fits, and decently well. Anyway, I've always thought that dark blue suits are the best looking.

My jacket size is about a 42L. On the money front, I can't spend a ton of money, but I have a job and make decent money for a teenager and this is something important to me so I'm willing to slap down a few paychecks for it. I suppose the obstacle is not a price, but my discipline not to "accidentally" spend some of the money while I'm saving up for the suit.

What brands should I look at? What should I avoid? Did anyone have a similar situation? What was your own first suit (does thinking about your first suit bring back memories)?

All help is appreciated and I know from other posts that I can get good advice here. Oh and I can answer any questions that might help you all make better answers for me.

Thanks

You could do what a lot of SF members do: hunt down designer suits in mint, or near mint, conditon at thrift stores and secondhand stores (Value Village, Salvation Army) for next to nothing.

meadow

Reaction score
Why not wait until the spring of your first year at school? Perfect timing if you're planning to interview for internships and you can see what affects the freshman 15 have on you.

aridhol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You could do what a lot of SF members do: hunt down designer suits in mint, or near mint, conditon at thrift stores and secondhand stores (Value Village, Salvation Army) for next to nothing.

+1

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're better off allocating that money for shoes.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
You're better off allocating that money for shoes.
+1, I was going to suggest shoes too. But I'm not as opposed to the idea of a suit as some of the others seem to be. However shoes will likely last you longer and be more versatile, thereby giving you a good feeling in more situations than a suit will.

Cheers
Reto

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the money for beer in college.
smile.gif

kungapa

Reaction score
First - the advice on your body changing is a sound one: the dangerous "freshman 15".

Second, almost no matter what school you end up at, a good-looking suit can be a great asset. Hopefully, there will be formal social events of various kinds and not looking like a high-school slob o his way to prom will get you plenty of points with the ladies and otherwise.

I remember getting plenty of mileage out of my slim-fitting chalk-stripe navy two-button peak lapel suit accompanied with a slim solid red tie, a pair of cognac wholecuts and a white pocket square during my freshman year.

Jay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin
But now that I'm done growing,

Originally Posted by Nicola
Who told you this?

+1. You are not done growing. Your body will change in college for the better (muscle gain) or worse (weight gain). However, after your first year, you will probably want two suits for internship interviews.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea although I do worry that your body will still change over the next few years.

You have various choices including MTM if you want something really good at this time. Then you will get at least some choice over it as opposed to what is on a rack. there is plenty advice on here about that but where do you live - that would assist.

To answer your other question, my father funded my first suit from his own tailor - bespoke so that shaped my suit buying for life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads