• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much appearance of width will cuffs add to slim trousers?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have regrettably forgot to return my light grey flannel trousers in time to get a refund.

My only issue with them is the leg opening is only 16", which together with the light colour of the fabric, may make my shoe size look a bit big and clunky.

I was thinking there may be two ways around this:

1. Get some cuffs put on of the usual size for a person 5'10 - the oft quoted 1 5/8 inch cuff. Hopefully this will slightly bulk up the leg opening and reduce any disproportion. However the cloth is 12 oz so light.

2. Wear shoes with a lower contrast of colour, and similar texture, so the shoes don't obviously stand out, something like tobacco brown suede.

The trousers really are nice otherwise.

Any other ideas chaps? Except B&S
wink.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless your shoe size is anything bigger than a 43, I dont think that it will make your shoes look clunky. I have an Isaia suit that has very narrow bottoms, with 2" cuffs. With the wrong shoes, yes - they do look clunky. I think it depends on the perfect shoe, which in this case should be a sleek one.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cuffs may help. but 16" is still 16".
it would help if you would wear shoes about 3 sizes smaller.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants I have with ~16" opening have 3" cuffs. Helps balance the universe.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get 1 3/4" cuffs, with no break, and wear sleek shoes.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Unless your shoe size is anything bigger than a 43, I dont think that it will make your shoes look clunky. I have an Isaia suit that has very narrow bottoms, with 2" cuffs. With the wrong shoes, yes - they do look clunky. I think it depends on the perfect shoe, which in this case should be a sleek one.
I'm a US 11, a medium fit.
Originally Posted by a tailor
cuffs may help. but 16" is still 16". it would help if you would wear shoes about 3 sizes smaller.
For sure, unfortunately a good pair of shoes costs twice the price of the trousers, so I'd rather ditch the trousers than crumple my feet
wink.gif
Originally Posted by NORE
The pants I have with ~16" opening have 3" cuffs. Helps balance the universe.
And keeps your ankles warm.
Originally Posted by alliswell
Get 1 3/4" cuffs, with no break, and wear sleek shoes.
Yeah I think I will at least have them cuffed for the small cost this will be, then see how sleek I can get my shoes. As above though, because shoes cost so much more, I'd rather get a good versatile pair of shoes and find trouser fits to match.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics