• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

foreverly

Reaction score
Use Meltonian Leather lotion or Venetian Shoe Cream for Chromexcel & Shell Cordovan if you don't want the color to change. The later is recommended by Horween, but the Meltonian is more easily available & works great.

These products actually return the leather to it's original color.

Chromexcel is already oil stuffed & very weather resistant by design. It's not like you can't wear them in the winter if you don't want to sno-seal or obenauf's them. You're not going to the arctic circle or anything so just relax & enjoy your boots.

Realize that Crane acknowledges what he does to his boots is extreme...

PS - the desert tears these boots up - Yucca is extremely sharp & unforgiving. Sadly a synthetic is probably best for desert bushwacking.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by giaour
Soooo is there a consensus emerging that even with sno-seal these boots are NOT suitable for winter? Can anyone else weigh in on their experience?

I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on these vs. GTs just because of the cold weather factor...I'm also in Canada and we have a lot of snow already. That said I'll be rocking a filson double mackinaw cap on my dome to retain body heat so perhaps that will take care of it...

I just spent a weekend in the Chicago snow. These are not for winter. I don't care what anybody else here says. They are great boots. I had them for over a month in Los Angeles before bringing them here and they were/are perfect and very comfortable.

They can be worn in the snow or rain, and they will probably be ok...but don't buy them for winter use. I've held the Wolverine 1K boots side by side with the Red Wing GT's. I prefer Wolverine's leather, and I think they look a bit better, overall I prefer the 1K boot, but if I were to buy them for winter use I would pick the GT just for the sole alone.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
I just spent a weekend in the Chicago snow. These are not for winter. I don't care what anybody else here says. They are great boots. I had them for over a month in Los Angeles before bringing them here and they were/are perfect and very comfortable.

They can be worn in the snow or rain, and they will probably be ok...but don't buy them for winter use. I've held the Wolverine 1K boots side by side with the Red Wing GT's. I prefer Wolverine's leather, and I think they look a bit better, overall I prefer the 1K boot, but if I were to buy them for winter use I would pick the GT just for the sole alone.

Keep in mind that, regardless of any knowledge people like Crane's are dropping on here about the amount of water that will seep in, etc., there is still no getting around the fact that the leather soles are pretty slippery on ice...I had to be pretty aware of where I was walking this weekend, and almost bit the dust a couple of times in these...I doubt you would have the same problem with the GT sole because it has traction throughout.

That said, if you were buying these any other time of year I would say 1K mile boot all the way. I'm actually pretty excited about how Crane's said he was going to trick out his pair when he gets it re-soled. In fact, I'm interested in buying another pair to do just that with. I love these boots and I've had more compliments on them than any other pair of shoes I have.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GT's aren't exactly a picnic on ice either.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Neither of these shoes are designed for snow.

That's not to say I don't wear my GTs in the winter, but I switch to hiking boots if its really icy.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh ice. I haven't found anything short of spikes or yaktrax that really works on wet ice. My planned resole is a mix of treads. The raptor tread is suppossed to be good for ice and snow. It's a random pattern that's not supposed to clog easily. It'll be alright for dry hikes in various types of terrain for the other three seasons. Also in my experience a random pattern seems to work better on rock in general. The lugged heel is obvious. Lugs bite well in all kinds of stuff.

cjvenables

Reaction score
Just got my Wolverine 1000 miles. What type of products would you use to condition before wearing?

Absolutely love these boots.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjvenables
Just got my Wolverine 1000 miles. What type of products would you use to condition before wearing?

Absolutely love these boots.

There are pages and pages of this info. There is even a reply at the top of this page. The boots are great...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up the Wolverine 1K Mile boots in Brown recently. We all know what they look like but just in case anyone's on the fence, here are some more images. They sure are a photogenic pair.
DSC_7817j.jpg
DSC_7814j.jpg
DSC_7824j.jpg
I sized down a half size to 10.5D. I'm normally an 11D and My feet run a bit wide. The 10.5D allows a bit of room while wearing thin socks and nice and snug with thicker socks. Adequate toe wiggle room and no heel lift. I treated with Obenauf LP twice and use a hair drier after applying with my hands. The warm leather sucks up the LP great. A few hrs later I buff briefly with a horsehair brush to remove the small amount of excess LP. I pay particular attention to the welt & stitching on the soles using a long, narrow dauber brush. I apply a pretty thick coating of LP on these areas. The soles get the same treatment as the upper (LP applied liberally but not as thick as the welt and warm with a hair drier). So far, they've held up to wet sidewalks and a few good downpours with no ill effect.
DSC_7804j.jpg

scourage

Reaction score
I have a size 12W in the katahdins which i really like. great fit for me. thinking of these as a better look boot for drier and less rugged wear. Any advice on how the fit compares. I really do need the wide in the katahdins and i notice no widths on these so not hopeful but they look so nice.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scourage
I have a size 12W in the katahdins which i really like. great fit for me. thinking of these as a better look boot for drier and less rugged wear. Any advice on how the fit compares. I really do need the wide in the katahdins and i notice no widths on these so not hopeful but they look so nice.

I tried on the Katahdins at LL Bean and found they ran TTS, an 11D for me. My Wolverine 1K Mile boots required a half size down to 10.5. The SA where I bought the Wolverines indicated that they can order half sizes in the original 1000 Mile boot.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wheres the best place to pick up a deal on these? looking to buy the black 1k mile pretty soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads