• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Not sure about the socks over the nico boots. Yeah, they're awesome boots but they're combat boots, not hiking/workwear boots where the sock look would be more appropriate.

The fit looks kinda mismatched in general from top to bottom, though.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
These chunky socks need to find an incinerator quick like.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
AFL, in my mind that looks better incredible. Retake lighter picture tomorrow in daylight? I want to see details of the sock/boot/pant. Silhouette is amazing, but can't tell about the...scarf?

I like your socks.

Thansk, synth. Scarf is kind of funky and rainbow-y, was a gift from the owner of a boutique in my home town. The socks were inspired by your last fit, I was originally going to try it with socks closer to the pants/boot color.

@who & kit: You'll come around, sock tuck is the new chronoroll. Tell your friends.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Again, no hate, but sock tucking combat boots is far worse than the chronoroll ever was.
fosho. Those socks are uglier than my snowboard socks

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure about the socks over the nico boots. Yeah, they're awesome boots but they're combat boots, not hiking/workwear boots where the sock look would be more appropriate.

Isn't this the german tourist look that Raf so vilified once already? It might be more granola to do with hiking boots and shorts, sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't wear combat boots with wool socks pulled up?

/end whodini conversation

Side note (feel free to disagree): Like you said, the NiCo boots are fsking awesome. So are a lot of boots. It seems like you might as well show them off with a tuck (at least sometimes, contextually), or something else, if you're feeling frisky.

Actually, in terms of the "dissonance" of AFL's latest, the only thing that seems out of place to me is the scarf (colors). I like the slim top paired with the chunky bottom, it's very...luxe. I mean, he's not going to pass as someone marching into combat, but that's not the point, really.

I think I'm going to source some surplus spats from ebay and slip those over the CP's, 10th mountain division style.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shopping in the snow
uNbdm.png
ca4la attachment n3b heattech stuff margiela jeans carpe boots (no vis)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
What do you recommend?
Besides not tucking your pants into your socks? Tucking pants into combat boots (historically) makes sense. But what's the point of tucking your pants into your socks and then pulling them up high enough so that they come over combat boots? And from a comfort standpoint, it must really suck.
Isn't this the german tourist look that Raf so vilified once already? It might be more granola to do with hiking boots and shorts, sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't wear combat boots with wool socks pulled up?
Obviously, not everything in fashion has to make functional sense; I love Fok's deconstructed passants on the SF shirt even though they're completely useless. It's more granola with hiking boots because that's where the look originates: tucking pants into socks while wearing ankle boots to protect against ticks/mosquitoes/etc. But socks peaking out over knee-high boots? eh? Personally, it not only comes off as completely affected but it doesn't make much sense visually. Is your fit so boring that you need to bring people's attention to your socks (or conversely, are your wool socks really that interesting)?
Side note (feel free to disagree): Like you said, the NiCo boots are fsking awesome. So are a lot of boots. It seems like you might as well show them off with a tuck (at least sometimes, contextually), or something else, if you're feeling frisky.
I almost always tuck into my nicos for exactly the reason you state. If you think I'm anti-tuck in general then you didn't get my point.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides not tucking your pants into your socks? Tucking pants into combat boots (historically) makes sense. But what's the point of tucking your pants into your socks and then pulling them up high enough so that they come over combat boots? And from a comfort standpoint, it must really suck.

tucking pants into socks while wearing ankle boots to protect against ticks/mosquitoes/etc. But socks peaking out over knee-high boots? eh? Personally, it not only comes off as completely affected but it doesn't make much sense visually.

I don't much care for making historical or practical sense, seems like a silly way to justify fashuns. And it wasn't any more uncomfortable than a normal boot tuck, if that makes a difference to you. I dunno, I had fun wearing it and thought it was a good enough look to post. Different strokes.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
I don't much care for making historical or practical sense, seems like a silly way to justify fashuns. And it wasn't any more uncomfortable than a normal boot tuck, if that makes a difference to you. I dunno, I had fun wearing it and thought it was a good enough look to post. Different strokes.
Then cool. That should be the point.

Like I said, not everything has to be justified but your concept leaves me confused as to how you got from point A to B. If I saw you on the street, I'd think that you saw a sock tuck online or on a runway and hastily tried to replicate the look with whatever you had lying around.

Different strokes:
4116632244d9804c3791b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads