• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Warehouse or Jos A Bank?

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Figure out what you want your personal style to go first, then ask questions.

Beginners don't know what they want. That's why they [we] ask questions.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmmm.........
facepalm.gif
Imma done trolling MC tonight.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely Jos A Bank. I'd go to Sears before Men's Wearhouse.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Definitely Jos A Bank. I'd go to Sears before Men's Wearhouse.

When you get the downloadable version of The Encyclopedia of Mens Clothes, these are the exact and only words.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try to find a HSM suit at Nordstrom Rack, Macy's or some place like that before either of these.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JAB, definitely. You can get A-Es at 20% off if you have the Corporate Card (which just about anybody can get), and I think their Signature Gold suits are pretty fair values at 70% off (which they frequently are).

In all, I'd probably put JAB on about the same level for quality, etc., as Macy's, but JAB's goods tend to be more classic and conservative, if somewhat uninspired, stylistically.

In all, if I had to rate clothing chains (as far as menswear goes), I'd put Neiman-Marcus and Barney's at the top, with Saks a bit lower, followed by Bloomingdales and Brooks (very close, Brooks is more my taste), then Nordstrom, followed at a considerable distance by JAB and Macy's, then Penney's and MW at the bottom.

tacobender

Reaction score
JAB suits are all larger fitting, but for what its worth they don't appear to be baggy on their average clientel. They cater to that older - pot belled crowd that probably isn't going to fit into a dior cut anyway...If, and it is a large if, you can fit the clothes they sell well...It is a heck of a price. I won't vouch for quality since I have not purchased anything from there, but if it has any durability whatsoever there could be some value there...

I'd actually like to be a customer but everything they sell is so big, I can justify spending any $ on ill fitting clothes.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cartisdm
For instance, I really want to build my closet, but there's no way I can start throwing hundreds of dollars around for single items. I'd like to do that after I have something to work with. Kind of the idea of "cycling" out the worst thing in the closet as you get something newer (and better)

You say money is a concern (i.e. "there's no way I can start throwing hundreds of dollars around for single items") but your strategy (i.e "cycling") is much more expensive than getting the good stuff to start with. And, in addition to costing more, you delay your enjoyment of the good stuff. Except for certain circumstances (e.g. just graduated college and have a job that requires a suit everyday) that lend themselves to the cycling method I'd avoid it.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cartisdm
Beginners don't know what they want. That's why they [we] ask questions.

Have you tried the Salvation Army? I hear they have a great selection this time of the year.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle13
I'm just curious to know which retailer people like more and why. I dont really go to either that much but have bought a few things from Mens Warehouse.

It depends on what you are looking to buy from these places. Are you looking for suits, dress pants, shirts? I think the quality of JAB products are acceptable at their steep discount prices (70-80% off their MRSP).

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
It depends on what you are looking to buy from these places. Are you looking for suits, dress pants, shirts? I think the quality of JAB products are acceptable at their steep discount prices (70-80% off their MRSP).

They never stop their commercials, which I mean the have discount everyday..
bored.gif

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's Wearhouse is a pretty popular store with Styleforum. Plus, they guarantee that you'll like the way you look!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads