• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I have found those 'Made in Italy' combination top lifts to wear down rather quickly.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ~10 years old clunker that I found buried deep in the garage recently.

Bostonian Classic LW 10.5:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
AE Yales recently resoled by a local cobbler. The leather's old and showing lots of wear, but hopefully that counts as "character" rather than "****** old shoes."

5090000262_f3aedcd16f_b.jpg

They need a drink of Pecards. That will zing those beauties back to life like a health spa...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My renovation project using techniques learnt from personal experience and from posters on FL and SF is complete.

http://img560.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img7852.jpg

If you follow the above hyperlink you will see the different phases of the renovation.

The shoes date to the 1940s and are a Thom McCann spade sole shoe as can be seen from the underneath shots. The size is USA8.5D.

If you were 60-70 years old I suspect you would show some wear and tear!

The actual colour is similar/the same as the monitor colour - a beautiful red undertoned russet. The leather is such good quality that it is naturally shiney resembling modern corrected grain.

The process was as follows:

1. Methylated spirits clean/ deglazing
2. Re-attachment of loose pieces with super glue
3. Firming the re-attached flapping bits down with the edge of a wooden shoe brush.
4. Recolouring discloured spots with Tuxan renovation polish in a cherry red/burgundy colour.
5. Pecards treatment to remoisturise the leather that had been deglazed.
6. Spit polishing the leather to restore shine.
7. Further Pecards treatment.
8. Further spit polishing to fill gouged holes and apply high shine.
9. Removal of stretching shoe trees.
10.New vintage type laces.

Please note that some of the darkness in the rougher toecap is trapped moisture from the spit shine that is gradually drying out and returning to a near normal colour. Other historic damage will become patina. The holes will gradually fill over with further polishing.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1940s Boston Walkers Blue Suede Spades size 12B

Unfortunately these wonderful shoes will be going back as yet another eBay seller could not get the tagged size right!

Amazingly these shoes were in perfect vintage condition.

artoftime

Reaction score
Beaten to death Alden Chuckkas in snuff suede. Worn in rotation weekly in the studio

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

artoftime

Reaction score
Thanks - I'm not trying to glorify the nap of or patina of the suede....I beat on them and use them for work...not something usually seen on MC - just a pic of an honest work shoe. They are both lovely and hideous.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
Thanks - I'm not trying to glorify the nap of or patina of the suede....I beat on them and use them for work...not something usually seen on MC - just a pic of an honest work shoe. They are both lovely and hideous.

that i can sympathize with!

juniper

Reaction score
Grenson country shoes, bought 1992. Resoled maybe ten times. The upper is almost orange, a soft thick leather. Very comfortable for long walks.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resole maybe 10 time.
Leather must be very strong.
teacha.gif
laugh.gif

How it possible?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads