• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blah Blah Beginner Thread - Too Much Time, Not Enough Muscle

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
The workout in your OP has entirely too much bullshit and five days is probably too much. Ab exercises are a total waste of time for you especially considering a good barbell workout will build those muscles (among others). Cardio defeats the purpose of trying to gain weight. Strip it down to the basics, make sure your form is right, eat a lot and sleep well. If you're 130 right now and want to be 150 you'd better ******* eat for 175. Your battleground, the kitchen; your weapon, the fork; your enemy, food.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agree with some of the things you are saying, but disagree on the abs exercise. You are not going to get your core strong by just standard barbell exercises, and I guarantee that strong chest and back muscles without a strong core is a recipe for injury. I would recommend a core circuit like this:

Back hyperextensions, hanging leg raises, weighted ab crunches on Swiss ball, etc. Pick 3 or 4 exercises and do them as a circuit without rest. It will take 15 minutes or less. End with a plank or two held for time.

jumpinjeffd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
I'm going to recommend against doing a 5 day split for reasons described by APK. Everyone does it - they go through a "I don't care how much I lift, just how I look" phase, they spin their tires doing bodybuilder workouts, and go nowhere.

You will get bigger by getting stronger. This means a 3 day/week program like Starting Strength, or IA's simple power-based routine like APK recommended. Once you've built up a base level of strength, you can do as you please, but you don't really need an arm day if you cannot squat at least 1.5 times your bodyweight. Considering your first goal is overall fitness and conditioning, blasting your gunzzz is the last thing you need. It sounds dogmatic, but I'm really just trying to save you from making mistakes that took me years and years to figure out.

Countless people have gotten awesome physiques by doing 3 day/week programs. Break out of the mindset that 5 day split is necessary for nice aesthetics and 3 day split = strength. Either way, at your level, strength will be size.

Also, I really really really hate to say this because I'm becoming a self-parody of a broken record, but...
www.ironaddicts.com

I promise you, if you educate yourself there, and keep it simple, you'll find success. Don't overcomplicate, be consistent, log your progress, and you'll be a dapper motherfucker in no time.

+1

If it worked for Arnold it will work for you. Stick to heavy lifting, building strength, and working major muscle groups. Remember Arnold was the guy who would squat in the woods, drink beer, and hook up with hot chicks.......sounds perfect for college life.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
^ Agree with some of the things you are saying, but disagree on the abs exercise. You are not going to get your core strong by just standard barbell exercises, and I guarantee that strong chest and back muscles without a strong core is a recipe for injury. I would recommend a core circuit like this:

Back hyperextensions, hanging leg raises, weighted ab crunches on Swiss ball, etc. Pick 3 or 4 exercises and do them as a circuit without rest. It will take 15 minutes or less. End with a plank or two held for time.

If your core isn't getting stronger as a result of squats and presses then you have serious leaks in your form.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
If your core isn't getting stronger as a result of squats and presses then you have serious leaks in your form.

I think there is a big difference in the core strength one can develop through squats and presses and the gymnast-level core strength that can be developed through dedicated core work and gymnastic progressions.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of. Guys who press heavy and guys who do gymnastics tend to have large midsections all around. They get development on both abs and obliques. Gymbros who just do ab work for size tend not to be as wide, it helps maintain V taper too. And guys who squat just don't get as big because the muscles are for stabilization and not really worked directly.

Transcendental

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Sort of. Guys who press heavy and guys who do gymnastics tend to have large midsections all around. They get development on both abs and obliques. Gymbros who just do ab work for size tend not to be as wide, it helps maintain V taper too. And guys who squat just don't get as big because the muscles are for stabilization and not really worked directly.

yep.

mix is neccessary.

good article on lesser known ab work on tnation

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is filled with the dumbest advice I've ever seen.

:Why:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of programs out there done by people who know what they are doing, even if they philosophically disagree.

Starting Strength is a solid way to begin.
Wendler 5/3/1 works for me because i like how stripped down the program is.
Westside for Skinny Bastards is also pretty solid.

But whichever program you do, just do the program the way it is written - at least for a while. Don't **** around with it and don't start adding in extra or substituting - you definitely don't know as much about programming as Wendler or Rippetoe, and, frankly, I doubt anyone else here does either.

Skip the splits, the self-programming, etc. You will end up with a lot of inefficiency in your workout. As far as squats and deadlifts go, spend a ton of time reading the chapters in Starting Strength to make sure you understand the form, watch a bunch of Youtube tutorials, and, if you have some money, get a bit of coaching, since you can mess yourself up doing them wrong.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Cardio defeats the purpose of trying to gain weight.
Alternatively, run once a week for 30 km and make sure you eat an extra 500 calories that day. Running doesn't murder weight gain that badly. Edit: 30 minutes, or 4 km easy. not 30km obvs

racetrack

Reaction score
I believe this may be exactly what you are looking for in a workout:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads