• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Weavels - prevention- Am I too parranoid about my second hand eBay suits?

bigj93702

Reaction score
Situation:

Hello everyone. I have been very successful with eBay the last few months buying suits my size. 54 long and 56 long wool business suits by Pal Zilleri, Hickey Freeman, HSM and two "off brands." Most are of excellent shape and condition. A month ago I won an eBay auction for a third Hickey Freeman suit and when it was delivered, it has weavel holes under the arms and also on the pants.

I freaked and dropped the suit on the floor. I never saw any live bugs or other bug evidence. But I am certain it was wool weavels because I have seen these holes in other wool clothing at thrift stores. The eBay seller took the high road and returned all my money and stated that she never checked under the arms of the suit coat.... Money was refunded.

Question/Concern:

Is there a concern for contact between a suit damaged by wool weavels and my nice ones? Are you able to SEE these bugs? Do they have eggs that can spread from suit to suit? Is eBay or second hand a bad overall investment due to the potential bug holes?

Currently, I have two boxes of moth balls and have distributed them in my suit closet. Of course it smells like a Urinal - but - I am not sure what to do.

Any guidance besides moth balls and keeping the closet dry? I would die if all my suits became infested with wool weavels.

Thanks in advance!

-Jason

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
What is a wool "weavel"? Does such a thing exist?

bigj93702

Reaction score
I am referring to the evil moth - it's larvae I presume. They eat wools. They leave holes.

singlechange

Reaction score
If you can find a Container Store franchise anywhere near you, they have some great products to deal with your problem. Instead of mothballs, they have cedar blocks, small cedar balls and cedar hangers. They last about a year or so. After that you can apply a cedar spray to continue using them. Also, the store has something called Moth Away, which are teabag size packets which repell moths.

Also, there is a very useful and informative post on asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com, the popular webblog hosted by Will Boehlke, entitled "Maintenance: The Voice of Experience" Sunday September 5 2010, which addresses this very problem.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If there are live eggs on a garment, the eggs can be transferred to other clothes that have been in contact with it. If you're worried, best to dry clean both the original garment and anything it might have been shoved up against.

If you have a deep freeze, you could stuff the clothes in there for a few days, but there are conflicting reports about the temperature necessary to kill the eggs. Dry cleaning is the safest course of action.

Moth balls, left open in a closet, won't do much good. They kill effectively only in airtight containers. The fumes are not very nice for us humans, either.

Lavender is often recommended for keeping moths away, as it's known as a natural insect repellent.

I never mix any second-hand item with my other clothes until it's been dry cleaned.

bigj93702

Reaction score
Thanks for the good info - did not know moth balls needed to be put in a chest. I might just buy a cedar chest instead of using the closet - after a visit to the cleaners... Here are a few pictures for the haters: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1584&bih=691 http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1584&bih=691 http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1584&bih=691 This link goes into a lot of depth - too complicated and scary for me to read it all - but if anyone else is interested: http://www.angelfire.com/mn/FiberHome/WoolBugs.html

bigj93702

Reaction score
Raoul Duke,

I should have said "moth damage," or "wool bugs" and spelled WEEVIL right....

stubloom

Reaction score

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought two suits and four sport jackets from ebay.

1) I ship to my office.
2) Take to tailor for adjustments.*
3) Take to dry cleaner.
4) Bring home.

Works every time.

* Avoided in one case where no adjustments were needed.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have never lost a suit or article of tailored clothing to moths. However, something eats fabric in the dark on the floor of my closet. I have left small pieces of fabric i use to repair the crotch area of my pants in a bag on the floor of my closet and something has had a picnic. They leave little holes like moth holes but no residue like the spider web like filaments associated with moth larva hatchings.

I have seen a type of critter in my closet, its tan and soft bodied like a dady long legs and multi legged like a centipede and can vary in size from quite small to pinky sized. I never idnetified what this was. I do keep moth balls and cedar and that stuff that kills moths in my closet but maybe these arent moths combing the dark underbelly of my clothing's residence.

Does anyone know what could be feasting on my fabric? Should i put snippets of cashmere on the floor to satisfy their voolenlust, or would that just encourage them?

Thanks for any help.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
laugh.gif
Woolenlust,..!!!

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
laugh.gif

Woolenlust,..!!!

I could be wrong, but I think that the critter that he saw in his closet back then now posts on his site.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
I could be wrong, but I think that the critter that he saw in his closet back then now posts on his site.
What's with the metamorphosis by the way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads