• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iotan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zinman74
Michael-
Raf from California here. I spoke to you on the phone about a pair of slim Walt trousers in the glen plaid some time ago. They are absolutely beautiful trousers. I took a chance and had them let out by my tailor, but I am on the fence about whether they are still too slim or not, nothing ventured nothing gained right? I would like to echo the sentiment for some larger sizes or cuts though, I would be content if you carried the Rudy in a broader assortment of fabrics ( I know I missed out on some, but the restock appears to have been minimal) and I think there are more of us out there. I don't consider myself to be fat at 5'11" and 190 and I am working towards 180. The problem area on the slim trousers from you, Mabitex and from their measurement chart, Howard Yount is in the seat and thigh. I exercise and have muscular thighs. I am not sure if any of the weight I am losing will be coming off those areas. Unfortunately this leaves me with few options that aren't tent like. Food for thought. I'll be keeping an eye on your stock!

I second this. I have been quite bummed that some of the more awesome fabrics have not been done in the Rudy cut. Of course, I realize that you have to cater to what will sell.

racknac

Reaction score
what else will you be releasing before the end of the year?

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Thanks to both of you. Do you happen to live in Los Angeles enigma? I'm not that familiar with tailoring besides getting a hem done. I'll have to find a wizard out here, because I really want to make those Chino's work and I imagine I only need them taken in a half inch or less.
Sorry, don't live in LA, but if you ask around I'm sure you can find someone.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael-
Raf from California here. I spoke to you on the phone about a pair of slim Walt trousers in the glen plaid some time ago. They are absolutely beautiful trousers. I took a chance and had them let out by my tailor, but I am on the fence about whether they are still too slim or not, nothing ventured nothing gained right? I would like to echo the sentiment for some larger sizes or cuts though, I would be content if you carried the Rudy in a broader assortment of fabrics ( I know I missed out on some, but the restock appears to have been minimal) and I think there are more of us out there. I don't consider myself to be fat at 5'11" and 190 and I am working towards 180. The problem area on the slim trousers from you, Mabitex and from their measurement chart, Howard Yount is in the seat and thigh. I exercise and have muscular thighs. I am not sure if any of the weight I am losing will be coming off those areas. Unfortunately this leaves me with few options that aren't tent like. Food for thought. I'll be keeping an eye on your stock!

Just noticed the medium grey flannel in Rudy, THANKS!

I hate to potentially detract you from making a purchase, but as general clothing advice: if you plan on losing weight don't buy clothes beforehand. Honestly, lose the weight THEN buy nice clothes. It stinks to buy clothes that fit and look great and then 6 months later they don't fit. As you said, you have no idea how the weight will affect your body proportions.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he could always buy clothes a size or two too small to motivate him even more to lose the weight lol.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crosswound
he could always buy clothes a size or two too small to motivate him even more to lose the weight lol.

Hey, that **** works! I was 282lbs a little over a year ago when I decided to start losing weight. Pretty much the entire time I made sure I had one nice piece of clothing that was just a little too small so I had to work towards it. Once that fit well then I would find something else that was just a little smaller still. I'm 195lbs now and also working towards 180 or so. Of course it's a little expensive because none of that older stuff fits me anymore, but it's great motivation and a lot of fun shopping for that new piece.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Hopefully this week my dude! Heading to the workshop tomorrow to work it all out. And yes, our size specs for it should run 1-to-1 with our shirts. Can't wait for this thing!

for the CPO, since its a 1-1 size, would it be difficult to layer a sweater between? and how warm would you say it is? would this be considered a really thick overshirt?

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
I hate to potentially detract you from making a purchase, but as general clothing advice: if you plan on losing weight don't buy clothes beforehand. Honestly, lose the weight THEN buy nice clothes. It stinks to buy clothes that fit and look great and then 6 months later they don't fit. As you said, you have no idea how the weight will affect your body proportions.
Don't know about you but the way clothes fit me changes all the time. If I waited to buy properly-fitting clothes because I was gaining/losing weight, I would never buy anything. An Epaulet example: Used to be a tight 32 in rivet chinos; now I wear a 31 and there's a healthy amount of room.

enigma77

Reaction score
Michael- Raf from California here. I spoke to you on the phone about a pair of slim Walt trousers in the glen plaid some time ago. They are absolutely beautiful trousers. I took a chance and had them let out by my tailor, but I am on the fence about whether they are still too slim or not, nothing ventured nothing gained right? I would like to echo the sentiment for some larger sizes or cuts though, I would be content if you carried the Rudy in a broader assortment of fabrics ( I know I missed out on some, but the restock appears to have been minimal) and I think there are more of us out there. I don't consider myself to be fat at 5'11" and 190 and I am working towards 180. The problem area on the slim trousers from you, Mabitex and from their measurement chart, Howard Yount is in the seat and thigh. I exercise and have muscular thighs. I am not sure if any of the weight I am losing will be coming off those areas. Unfortunately this leaves me with few options that aren't tent like. Food for thought. I'll be keeping an eye on your stock! Just noticed the medium grey flannel in Rudy, THANKS!
OK and I'm actually going to reply to this as well on the subject of tailoring. It's important to know that, in the case of trousers and properly constructed chinos, if something fits you really well except for X area, it's very likely that a tailor can let out some of the extra fabric in that area. I just measured my Walt trousers and along the inseam there's 1.25" of fabric, and on the outseam there's 0.75", so you could gain 2" of room along your legs and/or thighs in the areas you needed it. You can also gain 2" in the waist and/or seat on these trousers as well. My perspective is that with trousers, if they don't fit 100% but they're great in other respects, it might be a good idea to buy them anyway and have your tailor make them fit they way you want them to. You're going to have to take them to a tailor to get them hemmed anyway. zinman where did your tailor let out the trousers?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iotan
I second this. I have been quite bummed that some of the more awesome fabrics have not been done in the Rudy cut. Of course, I realize that you have to cater to what will sell.

I know, sorry about that guys. I'm a solid Rudy fit - and actually the fit model for the original Rudy pattern. We ran off quite a few deadstock Rudy trousers earlier in the season, but our recent deadstock rolls have been so thin that I could only do Walt's. But I didn't forget about you guys! We'll have plenty to choose from in the Spring.

Originally Posted by racknac
what else will you be releasing before the end of the year?

Let's see:
* CPO Jackets in Grey & Navy
* An epaulet x Gitman Brothers surprise
* Three Mark McNairy shoes on Dainite soles (Longwing, Saddle, Plaintoe)
* Epaulet Sportcoats
* About 8-10 more deadstock Walt's - including Tweeds, a Guncheck, and a freaking awesome brushed twill

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
for the CPO, since its a 1-1 size, would it be difficult to layer a sweater between? and how warm would you say it is? would this be considered a really thick overshirt?

No, you could easily put a slim sweater (like our Superfine Merinos) underneath it. We designed it to be a jacket, so it has proper hand pockets and interior pockets. It's longer than the typical CPO too.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhavenokliu
What fabrics/colors can we expect for the sportcoats?

To start with I think he's just doing a charcoal and a gray tweed, then later he's going to add black and navy and some others.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet

Let's see:
* CPO Jackets in Grey & Navy
* An epaulet x Gitman Brothers surprise
* Three Mark McNairy shoes on Dainite soles (Longwing, Saddle, Plaintoe)
* Epaulet Sportcoats
* About 8-10 more deadstock Walt's - including Tweeds, a Guncheck, and a freaking awesome brushed twill

Sweet... I think Epaulet is hurting itself with me with how awesome you guys are. I'm consciously trying to limit my exposure to Epaulet Shirts and Pants... otherwise I'm just going to be a walking Epaulet catalogue.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhavenokliu
What fabrics/colors can we expect for the sportcoats?

We've got a Cadet Grey (tying back to our Walt/Rudy pants) and a Charcoal Donnegal Tweed.

Sorry that this stuff is dragging on - I promise that these things are 95% done. I just need the shoulders to be perfect.

Originally Posted by racknac
Sweet... I think Epaulet is hurting itself with me with how awesome you guys are. I'm consciously trying to limit my exposure to Epaulet Shirts and Pants... otherwise I'm just going to be a walking Epaulet catalogue.

Hah!
devil.gif

And guys, I have to tell you how freaking awesome the CPO jackets are. They came out seriously perfect. I was going to shoot them yesterday but my camera's remote flash trigger was freaking out. I'm getting a new one tomorrow and shooting them with a quickness. They'll be online Sun night or Monday morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads